“A very pleasant stay”

and 1 more site!
Kingsholm Hotel
Ranked #7 of 149 Torquay B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Stayed at this b & b for 3 nights in room 9. The location is very good with easy access to the harbour and local restaurants/shops etc. The venue itself is kept to a high standard and nicely decorated and furnished throughout. Our room was a little on the compact size and the bathroom functional but again small. Being at the front of the house we had a view of Tor park which was not unpleasant, but due to the main road could be a little noisy on occasions. Other rooms we understand are bigger, but due to the popularity of the venue need to be booked well in advance, both the room and public areas are kept very clean.
Breakfast is excellent, the full English being well cooked and presented. The owners are friendly and pleasant. We enjoyed our stay and would recommend this b & b.
Out and about a cream tea at the 'tea shoppe' Cockington villige is a must, good value compared with others around and a very 'English' atmosphere. We also had a excellent evening meal at the Marina restaurant with superb view of the harbour.

Reviewed 19 March 2012

Back again for our 3rd visit to the Kingsholm and its starting to feel like home without the housework. Still the same high standards of cleanliness and service and the breakfast as good as ever. June and Carl are attentive hosts without being overbearing. Thanks again for a brilliant weekend and we will see you both in June for a week.

Room Tip: Number 4 is our favourite
Reviewed 17 March 2012

We had another fantastic break, with the hospitality being first class. Everything about the hotel is perfect ... Location ... Rooms and the friendliness of the owners just to name of few. Not forgetting the great breakfast in the mornings!! Will definitely be coming back. Thank you both.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 16 March 2012

My wife and I booked into room 4 which is spacious and was spotlessly clean. The dining room is well laid out and offers a superb choice of continental or full english breakfast. The decor throughout the house is immaculate.

In the evenings it was just a few minutes walk to a restaurant to eat and then we returned to the hotel to relax and share a bottle of wine (At a very competitive price) in the very comfortable lounge.

The only diificulty is the steps that lead from the road upto the house but although my wife does have reduced mobilty she was able to take her time and managed very well. She feels that the comfort and service we received at The Kingsholm Hotel outweighed her access difficulties. June and Carl were the perfect hosts.

We stayed for three nights and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

Reviewed 13 March 2012

My husband and friends in Finland where I teach medical English worried about my traveling solo through England at age 75. No problems here!. Even the hills of Torquay were not daunting; they provided good, gentle exercise. Choosing a top-of-the-house room when I had other choices was easy, as Carl did the luggage lugging. The room was spotless (like rooms in squeaky-clean Finland), the bed comfortable, neither too firm nor soft, the duvet lovely and warm. The room temperature was optimal. I liked the bright color-scheme in my favorite turquoise. I had all that I needed at hand, from hot-water pot to many lighting fixtures to choose from, to a TV easy to handle. Cell-phone reception was good, unlike in areas to the north, and the room had electronics including hair drier and powerpoints for camera-battery and phone-charging.

I wish that I could have stayed more than two nights there, on my ten-day trek across England. I came for the palms (Florida-raised) and sea (sailor's daughter), not to mention the March warmth of Devon. Reaching shops and good restaurants, even a shop featuring Ben & Jerry's ice cream meant a short walk in a town that felt safe even at 9 in the evening.

As for food, their breakfasts--one of which I immortalized in a cell-phone camera portrait sent to my friends at home--combined healthy choices and was so ample that it lasted me into mid-afternoon. They cater to each of my several food sensitivities. I could have availed myself of other advantages, like the friendly folks conversing in the cozy parlor, but I spent one day walking to and from the famous cave and needed a rest.

Carl and June both provided warm, intelligent, concerned attention rather than superficial friendliness. This couple knows their business, but do not seem to be IN business mainly for gain. They concentrate on pleasing and protecting those travelers lucky enough to find them almost by accident.

In short, Kingsholm was a little paradise for an older woman traveling alone and appreciative of sincere interest and caring. A highly recommended experience..

Room Tip: I chose to be at the very top of the house, looking out on the former monastery. I worried about tr...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 March 2012

This hotel is excellent in every respect. It is maintained to a high standard and the decor throughout is very tasteful. Both bedrooms were spotlessly clean and very comfortable. There is a good choice at breakfast, with the "full English" being perfectly cooked and presented. The location is convenient for the harbour, the shops and a variety of restaurants. The owners are very professional, yet have the skills to ensure that everyone feels welcome and relaxed. We stayed for 6 nights and can confidently recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank CharlieHnM
Reviewed 10 March 2012

What a great B & B - spotlessly clean, nicely decorated & a superb breakfast made with good quality ingredients. June & carl made us very welcome. The room was a little small but we were only there for the weekend so it was ok, other rooms are larger. Its only a few minutes walk to the center where there was a great choice of restaurants (booking recommended at weekends)
The only negative was the number of steps for those with disabilities but that can be said of most of the hotels in the area. Great value for money