“What a gem!”

Aveland House
Ranked #73 of 150 Torquay B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 2 July 2014

This was a last minute booking on hotelsdotcom, the evening before an overnight trip. A confirmation text arrived in minutes asking if there was anything special they needed to know. On the spur of the moment, I made a special request for flowers and or fruit in my Mom's room. Well, we were overwhelmed by the quality, , the friendliness, the cleanliness, the service and the value-for-money. Certainly the best I have experienced in 23 years in the UK. To Jacqui and David I would say, "Thank you so much." . . . .again!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 1 July 2014

We chose this hotel because they support the South-West Coast Path and were very pleased with the result. Immaculate and welcoming are the two main adjectives I would use but also the room was fine and the breakfast excellent. We also liked the lounge(s) and Jacqui was a big help in advising us of the bus options.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I stayed at the Aveland House Hotel for a brief night recently and just wanted to say that the proprietors Jacqui and David made me feel very welcome and were so very helpful. My room was spotlessly clean and prefect for my needs. The breakfast was beautifully cooked....and I shall certainly return shortly. Thanks!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I should say first I visit the area professionally and have been for over 8 years several times a year. I can stay anywhere reasonably priced however I always return to this same accommodation because to me they have everything I need.
I understand many visit the area for a holiday and I have also done this with family but the majority of time it's business.
1. The parking is free off road and safe, although the road outside is quiet and parking is easy if you have a larger vehicle on the road.
2. The location is close enough to walk into Babbacombe village, coastal walk or by car to visit Torquay, Paignton yet far away enough not to be disturbed at night when I need to sleep.
3. Local support and knowledge - When I have been here for a holiday I discovered if you talk to the hosts Jacqui and David here they can give you some tourist information and usually a discount stamp/card. ;)
4. Room (No.4) If you get MY regular room you will find a nice clean single bed, table with suitably located mains power supplies (the times I go to some hotels and need to bring an extension lead! or try and work on the bed with the computer). I should say also they have 2 lounge areas down stairs which both have TV's (with Digital Freeview) and comfy chairs.
I prefer this arrangement as the rooms are quieter with lounges and TV's downstairs.
Nearly forgot to say for those who like a little drink and social there is a lovely mini-bar area downstairs accessed through one of the lounges.
Back to my room, the ensuite is clean and showers are hot. I like that there are little toiletries and those little touches added although I bring my own it's nice when I have forgotten something.
5. Internet connection. To some this may not be a big thing, but if your here for business or part of the social networks then this is important. Unlike some hotels I stay at around the UK this lovely place provides it FREE and unlike others that say it's free but in the small print it's for 30minutes this is free the entire time your here! that alone I take into account when choosing somewhere to stay because unless you have a wireless account this can be an additional cost. (think travelodge's and Premier Inn's).
6. Price - typically a single bed is £40 with B&B cheaper if you ring direct ;)
7.The Breakfast - and times are great for me because I need to be out the door and working in the area before 9am. So normally 7:45-8:45am but earlier is available like me by prior arrangement. They locally source everything so the bacon, sausages and eggs are great as part of the full english although I also admit to having a bowl of Cocopops before to ensure I am full for the day! (other serial and breakfast options available but you will need to ask as I don't do anything else).
8. Evening Meals (Mon-Fri). If like me you would rather eat a healthier REALLY home cooked meals than motorway service meals and sandwiches or driving around trying to find places after work I love that this is available. Lovely large dining area that caters for many people staying where I find it interesting talking socially to fellow visitors like me and sharing tips and location experiences around the area. Just ask Jacqui what they are making this evening in advance and impressed they are flexible for those who have allergies.
9. Front garden - there is one but I am on here for business, I get back here, have a meal, check emails and socials but not sat outside. Hmm future thing to do one evening.....
10. Things to do locally - Lots! Just ask Jacqui and David what you want to do during your stay and they are friendly and understanding. x

Room Tip: I usually stay in Room 4 and treat it well. All rooms are the same though and when I have had to sta...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Stayed for 4 nights in early June, in room 4. Room was spotless on arrival and i returned daily to find it had been meticulously cleaned and towels etc renewed. Excellent breakfast and a great choice of cooked and non-cooked options. Jacqui was the most hospitable, friendly hostess, with a good local knowledge and always happy to help out with directions / suggestions. All in all I spent a thoroughly enjoyable 4 nights at Aveland House, in complete comfort and will definitely return.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Qubhjuu
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

We decided to visit Torquay on the spur of the moment and randomly chose Aveland House to stay at.
Very happy that we did. Nice quiet area, 20 mins walk into Torquay and onsite parking. Jacqui and David were very welcoming after our long journey from Kent. Room was cosy and comfortable with everything that we needed. A freshly cooked breakfast was the perfect remedy after a night out in Torquay!
Walked into Babbacombe for dinner on Sunday - it's beautiful. Wonderful views, lovely beach. Babbacombe Arms does great food.
Definitely recommend Aveland House. Thank you Jacqui and David for a lovely stay ☺

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We found the hotel very comfortable and Jaqui was a very accomodating and sociable host We stayed for only two nights for a bowling competition but next year are going for the full week to sample what the surrounding area has to offer.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple