“Fabulous Hotel: Value for Money”

Lincombe Hall Hotel
Ranked #10 of 88 Hotels in Torquay
Boca Raton
“Fabulous Hotel: Value for Money”
Reviewed 8 July 2012

I’ve decided to book this hotel for two nights based on the positive reviews here on TripAdvisor and a similar site and can confirm that those reports were right on! I am therefore trying to keep my own review relatively concise for you:

Location
=======
The Lincombe Hall hotel is located slightly uphill from the strand, the clock tower and the harbor area. Walking from the harbor to the hotel takes maybe ten to fifteen minutes or so.
I used my sat nav / GPS to find the hotel but there were two streets called Meadfoot in Torquay – and guess what: Yes I’ve entered the wrong one (“Meadfoot close” instead of “Meadfoot Road”) and arrived in the middle of the night in a purely residential area with dogs barking and wondered where now the Lincombe Hall hotel was...

Facilities
=======
The hotel has an outdoor pool (that however wasn’t used as it was too cold in late June) and a Jacuzzi The indoor pool didn’t look too inviting so I didn’t use it and I also never saw anyone else using it.

What I liked was the beautiful, large English garden with the sun chairs.

There's ample parking space for cars (however the hotel wasn't full during my stay).

I've overheard a conversation that there was a change of ownership in 2009 and that the new owners since have invested a lot of money and continue to do so. I don't know how this place looked like before but it is certainly now in a generally good state (though of course when you look closely you see things that could be improved).

====
Breakfast was excellent: the breakfast room itself looks stunning! Service staff there is very polite and helpful and the quality of the food (mainly traditional English breakfast) was also superb. Only complain: they start serving breakfast at 8 am, which for me who had an appointment at 9:30 am in Exeter was less than perfect. Maybe they could offer a - reduced - early breakfast for people, especially business guests, who are on the move?

The bar area looked like a large but very cozy living room. I enjoyed this place a lot in the evening! Prices for drinks were in line with those at similar places.

Room
=====
I originally had booked a standard room but was upgraded (?) to a patio room in the annex building. The room was pleasant and well furnished; the bed was comfortable. The small terrace was nice but as the weather was not so good I wasn't able to really enjoy it.
The bathroom was a bit small but everything worked fine so no major complaints.

Value for money
=============
Shortly after booking through a well-known hotel booking website I received an email from the hotel saying that “We look forward to welcoming you to the Lincombe Hall.” I thought that was nice. This has never happened to me before when booking through a travel booking web site if I remember correctly. I paid 44 Pounds per night including breakfast which I consider a very fair deal for what you get. If paying by credit card (my card couldn’t be processed for whatever reason) they add a 2 % surcharge by the way.

Though I was one of the few (maybe the only?) international travelers there I felt very comfortable at the Lincombe Hall hotel. Everyone at the hotel was pleasant and treated me cordially. All in all a very good experience (and I am not that easy to please).

Room Tip: I've stayed at the annex building which was OK but I think the main building will be better.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank my_traveler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
Leeds England
Reviewed 5 July 2012

Nothing is too much trouble for the staff. Excellent food, stunning room. Can't praise this hotel enough. It's a short walk to the town, but quiet and restful. If you're lucky with the weather, the poolside garden is a little piece of paradise. Would recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: Room 9 is huge - with a sled bed, two chest of draws and a sofa in the bay window.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tayen
Wales
Reviewed 4 July 2012

We stayed at Lincombe Hall hotel for a 3 night stay in June and we were definitely not disappointed! We stayed in room 17 which is a standard king size family room with our daughter who is 2, it was very spacious and very clean. The food at the hotel was excellent! We opted for the dinner, bed and breakfast option as having our daughter with us we were in easy reach to take her to bed when she became tired instead of finding a restaurant every night. We could not fault the food at all! There was always an excellent menu choice and the food was always beautifully presented and fantastic quality. The staff at the hotel were brilliant they were always so friendly and nothing was ever too much trouble for them. They certainly made our stay even more enjoyable, especially our daughter who they took the time to speak to whenever they saw her.

We really didn't want to leave when the time came to check out, we wish that we had booked to stay longer. We would definitely go back to the hotel and stay again it really is a fabulous place and definitely worth more than its 3 star rating.

Thank you so much for a wonderful stay!

1 Thank EntwineD
Newport Pagnell
Reviewed 28 June 2012

We stayed at the Lincombe Hall hotel for a 3 night weekend break in mid-June and were not disappointed. We were allocated a standard room in the West Wing and were slightly concerned as this is where we were allocated a room on a previous visit several years ago. On that occasion we asked to be moved as the room was in a very poor state. Not on this occasion however, the room was excellent, well appointed, comfortable and very clean. As other reviewers have mentioned, there has been a considerable amount of refurbishment work carried out on the hotel in the past couple of years and it certainly shows in all area's and aspects.
The staff are excellent and provide a high level of customer service. The food was very good and so was the restaurant service. The indoor and outdoor pools are clean and well maintained and kept at a very nice warm temperature. I did suggest that in indoor pool could be opened earlier than 8am; say 7:30, so people could have a swim before breakfast. The owner said he would consider this.
This brings me to my final point. The owner and staff really do appear to have a genuine passion for good customer service and are more than happy to receive feedback. We would definitely recommend the Lincombe Hall hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mallett777
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2012

Just come back from our wedding weekend at the Lincombe Hall hotel and we had the perfect day at the perfect venue. Our bridal suite was everything we could have asked for, the staff were so lovely and helpful, we couldn't have asked them for more. The food we had for our wedding breakfast was splendid as was the food there rest of the time (loved the full english breakfasts!).
Can't thank the team enough. A perfect wedding venue :-)

Room Tip: Even the standard rooms were lovely - so don't worry if the Gold and Superior rooms are fully bo...
1 Thank Angie_K_78
Reviewed 24 June 2012

Just spent a lovely weekend at the hotel for a wedding. The staff were so helpful- nothing was too much trouble. Food was great, room was lovely and we didn't want to leave. Very friendly atmosphere. Daughter loved the pools too.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank MummyCow
, Owner at Lincombe Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2012
Thank you for your lovely review, we are all so glad you had a lovely time at the Wedding and at our hotel and we hope we will see you back with us again.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2012

Just returned from a 3 night stay at the Lincombe hotel with my retired parents. I do not normally write reviews, but I felt I just had to say a BIG thank you to all of the staff at the hotel. Everything was so well organised, nothing was ever too much trouble and even though the weather wasn't too great, we still all had a fun and fab time.The rooms were spotlessly clean and modern. The food was excellent, the evening entertainment was really good and truthfully I couldn't have asked for any more.
As my mum has trouble walking distances, the staff suggested that we take the 62 bus; this stops just outside the hotel and takes you to the harbour side, and if you wish to stay on it goes all the way to Cockington. From Cockington it then returns to the hotel, via a different route allowing us to have a good selection of locations to stop off at. Also as my mum and dad are retired they have bus passes, so the only cost was a day pass for myself.
We would all happily stay here again and we all look forward to another great time.

1 Thank Sharon H
, Owner at Lincombe Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2012
Thank you for your fantastic review. It is lovely to hear that our staff have been so helpful and that you had a great time despite the not so great weather. We look forward to you staying with us again and that the sun will shine a little bit more during your next visit.