“could do better”

Ranked #137 of 149 Torquay B&B and Inns
Taunton, United Kingdom
“could do better”
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We arrived to find no-one at reception and after 5 minutes we gave up and went out for our (pre booked) dinner in town. We came back a couple of hours later and finally managed to check in, although the chap in charge seemed to be more interested in what was on the flat screen. Our room was 'interesting', only 2 light bulbs working, kettle sitting on the window ledge as it wouldn't reach anywhere else, the curtains are different lengths with the pelmet hanging off one end, no hangers in the cupboard and not enough room for both of us to move around at the same time. However, the bed was very comfortable and we were warm, although I still have the bruises from knocking my arm on the bedside cabinet. The en-suite was adequate but don't try having a shower in the morning after breakfast - as I found out, there isn't enough hot water when the dishwasher is running! Breakfast was good, enough of it and it was hot. The second night was rather noisy as we must have been next door to the night porter so got disturbed every time his phone went off and also being above the kitchen wasn't great when the fans were turned on.
Most of the things I have listed are easily remedied, it is just attention to detail. The room was clean and the decor everywhere was fresh so it's a shame that so many minor things let it down. However, it was a base from which to go to the other places we were visiting, so if all you want is a place to sleep, it will do you ok. Don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank karen t

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Manchester
Reviewed 5 November 2013

My elderly parents have just driven from Manchester to Torquay having booked into this hotel for bed, breakfast and evening meal. Following their long drive - they arrived at reception to check in and were told they could have breakfast but no evening meal. This was due to a coach party having cancelled and the chef wouldn't cook for so few people as that only left 6 guests in the hotel. They always book half board as they don't like to have to go out in the evening to find food. Consequently they had to spend 2 hours driving around trying to find alternative accommodation that could offer half board.
This isn't the first time they have been let down by this establishment having booked there a couple of years ago and turned up to be told they had no record of a booking - despite them having written confirmation. Being trusting folk they decided to give them a second chance - huge mistake. Places like this do not deserve peoples business. It seems that they are only there to serve the coach party fraternity and I would urge any independant travellers to beware when thinking of booking a room here.

Room Tip: Book one somewhere else
Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JulieC1959
Euan-Williams, Manager at Waters Edge Hotel, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Dear Julie,

Thank you for your review, your feedback is very important to us.

I'm sorry to hear that your parents were unhappy at The Waters Edge Hotel.
Unfortunately due to a cancellation of a coach party, we were unable to run our full menus, however selected meals from our menu's were available as mentioned on arrival at the hotel, meals such as fish and chips, ham, egg, chips and peas, jacket potato, omelette, and lasagne.

Please feel free to contact me should you wish to take this matter further.
Please accept my full apologies.

Kind Regards, Euan Williams.

Travellers are raving about these Torquay hotels

Somerset, New Jersey
Reviewed 4 November 2013

hi I would say to anyone do not stay there our room was dirty broken floor boards lights not working bed not made it is a disgrace of a hotel I asked for a refund ten minutes after being there as was not going to stay there witch they refused us a refund so we left

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank james john m
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Me and my partner went to this hotel and it was grate we arrived early and was aloud strate to our room it was a twin room but pushed together it was grate beds were comfy and warm staff were frendly and grate we had a rather busy night the 1st night with people coming and going but the 2nd night was grate breakfast what can I say well it was cooked to what we liked and the atmusfer was brill we even had a breakfast on ur lap moment and it was halarious. I only had one critasisim and that was descused and sorted and that was dust and all in all a grate stay

Room Tip: Seriously we r glade we went
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Sidmouth, England
Reviewed 15 October 2013

My partner and I stayed for one night and I found the staff to be very helpfull. They let us change our room when we arrived to one that had a sea view at no extra cost. The room was very clean and neutral which made it feel nice and airy. The bed and pillows were very clean, like new and the bed was very comfortable. A bar downstairs which was handy but it wasnt noisy. Fry up in the morning was nice, my partner said it could of been bigger but they had cerial and toast available aswell as. Excellent location. Just a walk away from everything. My partner and I paid £45 for a double un suite with breakfast included and it was perfect for us. I would definitely recommend and definitely come back. I never usually sleep well in a strange bed but I definitely did hear.:-)

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Dreamer86forever
Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We stayed for 1 night in what was described as an 'elegant' room. On arrival we waited at reception for nearly 5 minutes before the person came over from watching TV in the lounge.

On getting to our room we found that the sink was in the corner of the room and the 'modern bathroom', which was rather dirty, was so small I could not sit on the loo without bruising my knees on the frame of the sliding door. The twin beds creaked and groaned all through the night even when only breathing. Mind you so did the floor.

I would love to hear from the manager/owner after they had slept a night in these beds.

On the good side the breakfast was well cooked and tasty.

On leaving this hotel there was no-one at reception, no surprize there, so we dropped the key on the desk and left.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank John H
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2013

3 night stay The on suite was newly refurbished but so small you couldnt even strip for a shower No where to put wash items.To get to on suite you had to go sideways along the bed .The room would make a good single .Food there was plenty of it but unapatizing and tastless..The beds were clean and comfortable but the room was otherwise very tired Curtains and light shade def need replaceingI

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple