“5 day break with National Holidays”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Trecarn Hotel

Trecarn Hotel
Ranked #88 of 88 Hotels in Torquay
Coalville, United Kingdom
“5 day break with National Holidays”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2012

After some of the reviews I read before going on this holiday, I felt really worried what I was letting myself in for. However, I need not have worried. The staff were very friendly and efficient and meals were served piping hot and on time. The food was really good with a good selection on the menu. The room we had was really nice - I must admit the bathroom needed some attention but who lives in the bathroom. Hot water was readily available and clean towels whenever you requested them. The beds were very comfortable - I suffer with neck and back problems - and I did not experience any discomfort at all.
Unfortunately, the weather spoilt the holiday but no-one has any control over that. All in all I had a lovely holiday and would return to this hotel

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank marianhorton
SteveKing1969, General Manager at Trecarn Hotel, responded to this review, 15 October 2012
Thank you for your kind review. As someone who sleeps on a memory foam mattress I do understand that it is very difficult to get the right density mattress to suit all our guests needs, but we do try hard to please! Staff always work hard, and I consider myself very fortunate to have such a great team at the hotel. I hope that you will consider visiting us again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (409)
middlesbrough
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2012

This Hotel should be closed and guttered.We returned from there after 5days with National travel coach driver, journey exc, The 1st room we had toilet would not flush, given another room 236 on entering the smell was horrendous,Bed looked clean and we thought it would be better than the 1st room, boy were we wrong the windows streamed with condensation,the bed was so damp you felt you were getting into cold bath springs went if you turned over,shower was absolute disgrace, People were complaining that hotel was cold but were told it was too early to put the central heating on!!!! as a result since we got back I have spent 4days in bed with flu, leaves us wondering if any body from holiday companies check these premises before they send clients the the bad reviews ARE true wish we had seen them NEVER AGAIN

Room Tip: Could not advise on this hotel
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Judith W
Sorry to read you did not enjoy your stay with us. The heating is set to come on when the temperature drops sufficiently, but we do provide portable heaters for guests who feel the cold more than others. We actually had guests saying the hotel was too hot last week so it is difficult to please everybody. I hope that you find a holiday destination that suits your needs in the future

Travellers are raving about these Torquay hotels

Beverley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2012

We stayed at the Bay Trecarn Hotel from 8th to 12 September. Check in was very efficient. I had a requested a room for my friend to be as near to ours as was possible and was very pleased that they had given her a room opposite. The food was excellent and enough for us (and we have big appetites). Our rooms were very nice and clean although our shower was not very good. We did have hot water but the shower head would not keep up in the bracket and the doors were jammed but we did have hot water. We did report the shower but nothing was done about it. We decided not to complain further as we felt the holiday was very good value for money. We had the four free drinks package included and most nights didn;t need to use all our vouchers. Service at breakfast and evening was excellent and efficient. I don't know how they managed to keep the food so hot as the restaurant was very full.

I would definitely stay there again but would ask for a refurbished room. I think people sometimes expect too much for the price they pay.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank M0pet
Thank you for your positive review. We do strive to deliver as enjoyable a holiday as is possible in a very competitve market whilst remaining good value. I hpoe you would consider visiting us again, and if so, please ring us so we can try and get you in the area of the hotel you would prefer.
Halifax, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2012

booked single room on coach 4day tour to torquay 28sept to 1october 2012.coach and driver were superb.BAY TRECARN HOTEL? The public areas and staff were very good but I was allocated room 202 which was verypoor.plug hole in washbasin was rusty and unhygenic ,trim hanging off room furniture,no hot water in shower,black mould in shower,bed dipped in centre,and window frame was tatty.The food was adecuate and service excellent.would I advise or syay there again ,no, I am sure there are better places to spend our hard earned money at.

Room Tip: I am told that rooms on the other wing are better
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
7 Thank Reg B
Sorry you didnt enjoy your stay with us. I notice you commented that rooms on the other side of the hotel have been refurbished, which is the case. We have completed a number of rooms on the side of the hotel you stayed, and are planning to do another wing hopefully in the winter
Glasgow
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2012

After arriving at this hotel Got our room keys went up. unpacked. went down for dinner Had to wait nearly 1 - 1hr40mins. not on, so tried it. again next night about the same time, so decided to go out at night for our dinner, regarding our rooms. monday night we were in a room on the ground floor the guy above us got up at 1am. 3am 515am, reported this got new room only to find out that a wordrobe door was between the mattress after my wife told me that her back was sore ,that,s when i found the wardrobe door management said it must have been left by the last person who stayed in the room. who gave the last person the wordrobe door , ?

Room Tip: See before you pay
8 Thank Robert G
Sorry to read you experienced some problems during your stay with us. I was suprised to see you had delays during dinner as we run an hour service. I hope that you find a more suitable destination for future breaks and would suggest you try the Coast & Country Hotels website as they are priced to suit the more discerning guest
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

Thanks to National Holidays for providing excellent transport, driver, excursions etc. Only one little mistake ,taking us to The Bay Trecarn Hotel. the Public areas were clean and presentable if not a lttle dark. We found our way to the room boucing of the corridor walls due to the soft flooring ( and thats not the carpet) Breathing in the aroma of Fust, damp, decay and ageing decor and water stained ceilings or was it the sea air?. Our bedroom was not tired , more of in a coma, its was clean and in fairness the lady who attended our room did a great job considering the basis elements she had to work with. I sat on the bed to the sound of crumpling egg boxes, the bedroom window was half open and half shut but refused to co-operate from that point, therefore cold room at night. Our bathroom was very bright lots of windows but no blinds or curtains, yes I could stand in the bath and my naked silluette cold be seen from outside. I sent the wife to look what a shock the natives might get. Minor things like the toilet would not flush , the taps tops spun like cotton bobbins, the shower direction button on the mixer taps would not work. The food was good, the staff were excellent, but without guidance or direction, but worked very hard. The bar Staff worked very hard and I think I now Know why visitors go there. Of course its the free drinks, decent food, plenty of booze nobody cares where they are staying. I dont complain about holidays, its what you make them and we met lots of lovely people, but Mr manager dont come up with an excuse, your staff are brilliant but you building wants closing. The resort was lovely, please go there but beware of buildings.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel
10 Thank Martin W
Thank youo for taking the time to write your review. I was pleased to see there were some positives and the staff do work hard to provide excellent service and decent food. We are always looking to refurbish a number of rooms each year and hopefully will do that and the end of this year.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2012

We have just returned from our 2nd stay at the Bay Trecan and once again we cannot praise the hotel enough. We had asked if we could have a ground floor room with shower and to sit together with our friends whilst having our meals and this was dually obliged.The staff were absolutely great,everything we enquired about was quickly and cheerfully sorted out for us.We wanted to eat early on Saturday as we were off to see Jethro and this was done with a smile, There were other things that the staff sorted out for us, again with a smile and nothing was too much trouble.The food was excellent with a very good selection of Starters,Main Course and Dessert and served to us by a charming young lady and once again nothing was too much trouble.It would be great IF the break was longer I/E an 8 day or even a 10 day break were possible as i know we would certainly take this option up with i expect a good few others. Our driver Peter was excellent and most helpful. Well we cannot wait till our next trip to the Bay Trecan lets just hope its for a longer stay and we would like to thank everyone there for making our stay most enjoyable one.

3 Thank cookie123773
SteveKing1969, General Manager at Trecarn Hotel, responded to this review, 21 September 2012
Thank you for such a wonderful review of your recent stay with us. I always pass on the comments made by all the guests who take time to post on here, and when they are as positive as yours, it makes the team realise that their efforts do get noticed and are appreciated. We shall look forward to welcoming you back and hopefully soon!