“My recent stay”
Review of Trecarn Hotel

Trecarn Hotel
Ranked #85 of 85 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 19 October 2012

I returned from the above hotel today (19.10.12). I stayed for four nights. The food was very good and the staff very hard working. However the general condition of the hotel was appalling. Wallpaper hanging off the walls, window catches falling off and many more faults. This hotel needs to be completely renovated. Now we move on to the entertainment. The ballroom was far to small for the amount of people in the hotel, they had to bring in extra tables and chairs from the dining room. To many people and not enough room. I dread to think what a fire inspector would comment. Sad but never again.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank leepownall2426
SteveKing1969, General Manager at Trecarn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2012

Thank you for your recent post. There are areas of the hotel we are hoping to refurbish, however the main ballroom area is on the process of repair following leak damage. I can assure you that we are fully compliant with fire legislation with ample fire exits from the ballroom to evacuate the whole hotel. I will pass on your compliments to the staff and the chef.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,314)

Reviewed 15 October 2012

Coach trip there was fine.Bedroom was good,clean & big,bathroom disgusting-mould everywhere,toilet seat & loo roll holder broken.Wallpaper hanging off the corridor walls,damp patches on walls & ceilings & the smell of mould & dampness was bad.The staff were all excellent,very helpful,cheerful & hard working especially the dining room staff.Meals were excellent & quite adequate enough for us.Our programme of trips out was altered and we were only informed by two people that had been on that days trip.We couldn't go on the ferry to Paignton as there was a problem with the coach which wasn't sorted ,resulting in a fiasco journey home.Setting off at 8-30am our coach broke down round the corner from the hotel,we had to walk back to the hotel to wait for another coach and driver.The second coach driver admittedly from another coach company,hadn't a clue where to go and kept taking us back south instead of north.He backed the coach off a motorway after going wrong,went through a red light at a roundabout,stopped at a garage to ask directions,and after going round a roundabout twice eventually got it right when half the people on the coach shouted directions.Stopping at a motorway service station we were moved to yet another coach & driver eventually arriving home safe but exhausted at 10-50pm.Improvements needed all round we think.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank diane r
SteveKing1969, General Manager at Trecarn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2012

Sorry to read about the unfortunate problems with your coach. This does not come within the control of the hotel, but I know we did what we could to assist, and offered complimentary hot drinks for those affected. It was pleasing to read the positive aspects of your stay, especially regarding the staff and meals as we try hard to deliver in theses areas. Refurbishment is a lengthy expensive process, but one we continue to invest in.

Reviewed 14 October 2012

After some of the reviews I read before going on this holiday, I felt really worried what I was letting myself in for. However, I need not have worried. The staff were very friendly and efficient and meals were served piping hot and on time. The food was really good with a good selection on the menu. The room we had was really nice - I must admit the bathroom needed some attention but who lives in the bathroom. Hot water was readily available and clean towels whenever you requested them. The beds were very comfortable - I suffer with neck and back problems - and I did not experience any discomfort at all.
Unfortunately, the weather spoilt the holiday but no-one has any control over that. All in all I had a lovely holiday and would return to this hotel

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank marianhorton
SteveKing1969, General Manager at Trecarn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2012

Thank you for your kind review. As someone who sleeps on a memory foam mattress I do understand that it is very difficult to get the right density mattress to suit all our guests needs, but we do try hard to please! Staff always work hard, and I consider myself very fortunate to have such a great team at the hotel. I hope that you will consider visiting us again.

Reviewed 13 October 2012

This Hotel should be closed and guttered.We returned from there after 5days with National travel coach driver, journey exc, The 1st room we had toilet would not flush, given another room 236 on entering the smell was horrendous,Bed looked clean and we thought it would be better than the 1st room, boy were we wrong the windows streamed with condensation,the bed was so damp you felt you were getting into cold bath springs went if you turned over,shower was absolute disgrace, People were complaining that hotel was cold but were told it was too early to put the central heating on!!!! as a result since we got back I have spent 4days in bed with flu, leaves us wondering if any body from holiday companies check these premises before they send clients the the bad reviews ARE true wish we had seen them NEVER AGAIN

Room Tip: Could not advise on this hotel
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Judith W

Sorry to read you did not enjoy your stay with us. The heating is set to come on when the temperature drops sufficiently, but we do provide portable heaters for guests who feel the cold more than others. We actually had guests saying the hotel was too hot last week so it is difficult to please everybody. I hope that you find a holiday destination that suits your needs in the future

Reviewed 11 October 2012

We stayed at the Bay Trecarn Hotel from 8th to 12 September. Check in was very efficient. I had a requested a room for my friend to be as near to ours as was possible and was very pleased that they had given her a room opposite. The food was excellent and enough for us (and we have big appetites). Our rooms were very nice and clean although our shower was not very good. We did have hot water but the shower head would not keep up in the bracket and the doors were jammed but we did have hot water. We did report the shower but nothing was done about it. We decided not to complain further as we felt the holiday was very good value for money. We had the four free drinks package included and most nights didn;t need to use all our vouchers. Service at breakfast and evening was excellent and efficient. I don't know how they managed to keep the food so hot as the restaurant was very full.

I would definitely stay there again but would ask for a refurbished room. I think people sometimes expect too much for the price they pay.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank M0pet

Thank you for your positive review. We do strive to deliver as enjoyable a holiday as is possible in a very competitve market whilst remaining good value. I hpoe you would consider visiting us again, and if so, please ring us so we can try and get you in the area of the hotel you would prefer.

Reviewed 8 October 2012

booked single room on coach 4day tour to torquay 28sept to 1october 2012.coach and driver were superb.BAY TRECARN HOTEL? The public areas and staff were very good but I was allocated room 202 which was verypoor.plug hole in washbasin was rusty and unhygenic ,trim hanging off room furniture,no hot water in shower,black mould in shower,bed dipped in centre,and window frame was tatty.The food was adecuate and service excellent.would I advise or syay there again ,no, I am sure there are better places to spend our hard earned money at.

Room Tip: I am told that rooms on the other wing are better
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
7  Thank Reg B

Sorry you didnt enjoy your stay with us. I notice you commented that rooms on the other side of the hotel have been refurbished, which is the case. We have completed a number of rooms on the side of the hotel you stayed, and are planning to do another wing hopefully in the winter

Reviewed 29 September 2012

After arriving at this hotel Got our room keys went up. unpacked. went down for dinner Had to wait nearly 1 - 1hr40mins. not on, so tried it. again next night about the same time, so decided to go out at night for our dinner, regarding our rooms. monday night we were in a room on the ground floor the guy above us got up at 1am. 3am 515am, reported this got new room only to find out that a wordrobe door was between the mattress after my wife told me that her back was sore ,that,s when i found the wardrobe door management said it must have been left by the last person who stayed in the room. who gave the last person the wordrobe door , ?

Room Tip: See before you pay
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Robert G

Sorry to read you experienced some problems during your stay with us. I was suprised to see you had delays during dinner as we run an hour service. I hope that you find a more suitable destination for future breaks and would suggest you try the Coast & Country Hotels website as they are priced to suit the more discerning guest