Trecarn Hotel
US$103
PremierInn.com
US$247
1,362 results
All reviewsa ground floor roomentertainment every nightplenty of hot waterexcellent value for moneyplenty of choiceplymouthquiz
Reviewed 12 February 2014

On first visit, I found this hotel like any other Bay Hotel. Reception staff where helpful, and friendly. The night porter was very helpful as well. Room was ok, looked like a double room If it was, it was small. Windows draughty when strong winds blow. Dining facilities ok.

Room Tip: ask at reception for upgrade, or ask when ringing up.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank remmingtonLeeds
SteveKing1969, General Manager at Trecarn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Thank you for choosing to visit the Trecarn Hotel. I see it was your first visit and I hope it wont be your last!

Reviewed 11 February 2014

In the company of another couple we drove to Torquay and the Trecarn Hotel for New Year 2014. Based on previous stays at Shearings/Bay Hotels, we thought we knew what to expect.
Our first shock came on check-in - a very offhand receptionist assumed that we'd heard the briefing given to the previous arrival, and didn't bother to explain anything. The lift was too small to accommodate more than 2 persons, so we struggled up two flights of stairs with suitcases. (Both men are in their 70s. No offer of assistance was given.) The room allocated to our friends was a front-facing room, recently refurbished and reasonably comfortable but for the (continuously) damp floor in the bathroom. Our room faced the back, and was tiny, and the bathroom was covered in mould, with large cracks in the window. We asked to move, and were offered a room in the original annex, which we accepted. The room was larger although very badly furnished, and the bathroom floor was stained and mouldy - but still an improvement on the first one. There was no hot water in the bathroom on the first evening, as one of the boilers had tripped.
Dining was just as unpleasant, although the food was generally acceptable. Our waitress constantly ran around and clattered dishes. When we suggested she slow down, she replied that she wasn't paid sufficiently to take her time. For the 'gala' dinner on the 31st, I needed additional cutlery to eat my fish course and was told that there was no more cutlery available, as each table was only allocated one set. I eventually got a knife and fork when I said I was not prepared to use my fingers. We'd pre-ordered our wine in the morning, as suggested - but the wine placed on the table was not our choice, and we were told that only one type of white wine was available and they hadn't had time to replenish their stock.
The after-dinner tea and coffee was cleared away before 8 pm.
Entertainment was reasonable, apart from the length of time devoted to bingo. Unfortunately we never managed to get seats near the front, as all these had been pre-booked by leaving bags, etc on them while people went to dinner. There was a notice asking people not to pre-reserve seats, but this was ignored and not enforced by management. In fact, the management was conspicuously absent most of the time - and there was noone on the front desk for the entire New Year's evening.
There were at least 5 buckets noticeable in the general areas of the hotel, catching water leaks.
Overall, a rather sad and shabby hotel, badly run and best avoided.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Juliet61Pboro

Sorry to read that you did not enjoy your New Year with us. It is a shame that you seemed unaware that both myself and the assistant manager were both on duty and available that evening, I even did a pre-dinner toast with all the guests. I hope that you find a suuitable destination for future holidays that meets your requirements and I would suggest that the Coast & Country hotels may be more appropriate for you, although more expensive.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

Have recently returned from a four day national holiday break at the bay Trecarn Hotel. The hotel staff are probably the best myself and my husband have ever come across. Reception staff were amazing always very polite and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble. Waiter service was first class. Our waiter was always friendly polite and cheerfull. Rooms were kept very clean. Food was of a very high standard. Would recommend this hotel to anyone. Well done National for providing us with another first class break and well done Trecarn staff and management.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank jueandsteve

I really appreciate you taking the time to write such kind words for the staff in the hotel. I certainly know how hard they work, and try to deliver excellent service, so when others notice it is great for them. Hope you will consider us for a future break

Reviewed 8 February 2014

My partner and I spent the weekend at this hotel. We had a pleasant and enjoyable time. The staff at reception , dining-room and the bar were excellent. We had a room on the first floor, which was very comfortable, clean and well maintained. (we could only get one channel on the TV BBC1 which was a pain).The food was very good, with a good choice. The entertainment in the evening was very enjoyable, and we won £25 at bingo. The Trecarn is a very pleasant hotel with a lovely atmosphere. I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and would be happy to stay there again. Very good value.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pat D

Lovely review, thank you so much for posting. Sorry about the issues with the TV, the weather is playing havoc with our facilities down here but hopefully it is dying down now and we canget back to normal. Hope we get to see you again soon

Reviewed 2 February 2014

My partner and i stayed at this hotel for 4 nights The hotel is situated in Babbacombe wich is about 2.5 miles outside Torquay so we had to get buses into the town we had a ground floor room it was very cold at night as there was no heating on at night the decor was very dated wallpaper coming of the wall the divan bed was not put together right the mattress was uncomfortable my partner had a box above her head so it was hard for her to sit up in bed the television was old fashioned only 5 channels and poor reception the bathroom had mold near the toilet and damp patches there was a top missing of one of the taps old fashioned fittings the shower didnt work we told the staff but the manager was never there we were offered a stay at another hotel but this was impratical the food was terrible small portions of overcooked veg meat cut with a scalple the vegetarian cottage pie had a skin on it the staff worked very hard and were always pleasant the entertaiment was the same every night bingo quiz then some singing some of the djs said the same jokes overall we will not be going back to this hotel or any others as we heard bad reports on their other hotels too

Room Tip: dont choose a room here
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Christopher S
SteveKing1969, General Manager at Trecarn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Sorry you experienced problems during your recent stay. It is a shame that you have made the choice to not go to any of our other hotels as if you wanted luxury we have our Coast & Country hotels which may be more suited to your tastes. I am investigating the room concerned as I do not like guests being unhappy when they visit us. I only wish I could have sorted things to your satisfaction when you were here