“Sunday Lunch at the hotel”
Review of Trecarn Hotel

Trecarn Hotel
Ranked #87 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Torquay, United Kingdom
“Sunday Lunch at the hotel”
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We visited the Trecarn hotel for the first time on sunday the 26th January for our sunday lunch as was dissapointed on arrival to be told have we booked,we did not think that this would be a problem as we seen the advertisment in our local paper and it did not mention booking the receptionist went of to check if that would be ok on her return we was told that it would be ok to dine with them.
We was most suprised to say the least that after being in the restaurant for our meal that half of the dining room was empty and only about twenty people dining there.
Our order of leek & potatoe soup to start was very salty and while we was eating the waiter was asking for our mains order which we found annoying as we had a mouthful of soup and had to reply
then when we was eating our mains they was asking what we wanted for our sweet the staff was very pleasant and we could not fault them but we felt that they needed to stay a distance and give people a discreet distance.
We would not use the Trecarn again for our sunday lunch as the portions of the meals was very small in comparison to what other hotels are offering around the bay.
I also went to reception to ask where I could smoke as the hotel front entrance clearly had signs to say NO SMOKING HERE and to go to smoking areas, when I asked at reception I was told to just go smoke outside the front door and I thought that most odd that you would have implemented no smoking zones and then I can smoke in them at the front of the building and annoy most guests that obviously did not smoke and give me funny lookes.
and I surpose rightfully so.
You need to update your polices on this hotel as we live in the bay and would have wanted to visit and support our local hotels in the area when you have quiete periods.

Room Tip: We did not stay in a room as we are local to the area.
2 Thank Rogerbrookes
SteveKing1969, General Manager at Trecarn Hotel, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Sorry to read you did not completely enjoy your recent Sunday lunch with us. We do allow people to book in advance as we can get rather busy on occasions. With regards to the smoking, there is an area to the side of the front doors where ashtrays are provided but it does not sound like this was communicated effectively.. I will look into the service provided as it is an important part of our success at the hotel to grow this type of business so I have concerns when it is not delivering. I would ask you to consider us for another visit, and please let me know personally if you are so I can do my best to change your opinion

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (423)
East Kilbride, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Bus trip my first time,bus was comfy and the time flew due to stops every 2 and half hours arrived tea time.the room was clean and warm considering.the cold weather in February last week.staff nice but service at breakfast and dinner time very poor always served last and ignored.also some staff were rude if you asked for anything not on menu not happy to oblige although you had to pay extra also we we were a couple sharing with another couple at the table and expected to share a pot of tea and when I asked for a pot of tea for myself was told pot of tea was for 2 people and each person take there tea different.good value food was good.on last day we were leaving after 8am restaurant opened 7.30 could have been organised better and again had to wait till end to get served rushed. Not a lot of tea offered and that's all I took for breakfast.do not sit on table 71 last to served at any sitting. Entertainment good.

Room Tip: Bar service really good just meal service poor.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Christine M
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit. I am glad you enjoyed most aspects of your stay but I was surprised to see that the staff did not meet your expectations. They are normally praised a lot on trip advisor so I will look into your comments. I hope that you enjoyed the stay enough to consider a return visit
leeds
Reviewed 12 February 2014

On first visit, I found this hotel like any other Bay Hotel. Reception staff where helpful, and friendly. The night porter was very helpful as well. Room was ok, looked like a double room If it was, it was small. Windows draughty when strong winds blow. Dining facilities ok.

Room Tip: ask at reception for upgrade, or ask when ringing up.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank remmingtonLeeds
Thank you for choosing to visit the Trecarn Hotel. I see it was your first visit and I hope it wont be your last!
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2014

In the company of another couple we drove to Torquay and the Trecarn Hotel for New Year 2014. Based on previous stays at Shearings/Bay Hotels, we thought we knew what to expect.
Our first shock came on check-in - a very offhand receptionist assumed that we'd heard the briefing given to the previous arrival, and didn't bother to explain anything. The lift was too small to accommodate more than 2 persons, so we struggled up two flights of stairs with suitcases. (Both men are in their 70s. No offer of assistance was given.) The room allocated to our friends was a front-facing room, recently refurbished and reasonably comfortable but for the (continuously) damp floor in the bathroom. Our room faced the back, and was tiny, and the bathroom was covered in mould, with large cracks in the window. We asked to move, and were offered a room in the original annex, which we accepted. The room was larger although very badly furnished, and the bathroom floor was stained and mouldy - but still an improvement on the first one. There was no hot water in the bathroom on the first evening, as one of the boilers had tripped.
Dining was just as unpleasant, although the food was generally acceptable. Our waitress constantly ran around and clattered dishes. When we suggested she slow down, she replied that she wasn't paid sufficiently to take her time. For the 'gala' dinner on the 31st, I needed additional cutlery to eat my fish course and was told that there was no more cutlery available, as each table was only allocated one set. I eventually got a knife and fork when I said I was not prepared to use my fingers. We'd pre-ordered our wine in the morning, as suggested - but the wine placed on the table was not our choice, and we were told that only one type of white wine was available and they hadn't had time to replenish their stock.
The after-dinner tea and coffee was cleared away before 8 pm.
Entertainment was reasonable, apart from the length of time devoted to bingo. Unfortunately we never managed to get seats near the front, as all these had been pre-booked by leaving bags, etc on them while people went to dinner. There was a notice asking people not to pre-reserve seats, but this was ignored and not enforced by management. In fact, the management was conspicuously absent most of the time - and there was noone on the front desk for the entire New Year's evening.
There were at least 5 buckets noticeable in the general areas of the hotel, catching water leaks.
Overall, a rather sad and shabby hotel, badly run and best avoided.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Juliet61Pboro
Sorry to read that you did not enjoy your New Year with us. It is a shame that you seemed unaware that both myself and the assistant manager were both on duty and available that evening, I even did a pre-dinner toast with all the guests. I hope that you find a suuitable destination for future holidays that meets your requirements and I would suggest that the Coast & Country hotels may be more appropriate for you, although more expensive.

Travellers are raving about these Torquay hotels

lancashire
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Have recently returned from a four day national holiday break at the bay Trecarn Hotel. The hotel staff are probably the best myself and my husband have ever come across. Reception staff were amazing always very polite and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble. Waiter service was first class. Our waiter was always friendly polite and cheerfull. Rooms were kept very clean. Food was of a very high standard. Would recommend this hotel to anyone. Well done National for providing us with another first class break and well done Trecarn staff and management.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank jueandsteve
I really appreciate you taking the time to write such kind words for the staff in the hotel. I certainly know how hard they work, and try to deliver excellent service, so when others notice it is great for them. Hope you will consider us for a future break
Kidderminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 February 2014

My partner and I spent the weekend at this hotel. We had a pleasant and enjoyable time. The staff at reception , dining-room and the bar were excellent. We had a room on the first floor, which was very comfortable, clean and well maintained. (we could only get one channel on the TV BBC1 which was a pain).The food was very good, with a good choice. The entertainment in the evening was very enjoyable, and we won £25 at bingo. The Trecarn is a very pleasant hotel with a lovely atmosphere. I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and would be happy to stay there again. Very good value.

1 Thank Pat D
Lovely review, thank you so much for posting. Sorry about the issues with the TV, the weather is playing havoc with our facilities down here but hopefully it is dying down now and we canget back to normal. Hope we get to see you again soon
Dewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2014

My partner and i stayed at this hotel for 4 nights The hotel is situated in Babbacombe wich is about 2.5 miles outside Torquay so we had to get buses into the town we had a ground floor room it was very cold at night as there was no heating on at night the decor was very dated wallpaper coming of the wall the divan bed was not put together right the mattress was uncomfortable my partner had a box above her head so it was hard for her to sit up in bed the television was old fashioned only 5 channels and poor reception the bathroom had mold near the toilet and damp patches there was a top missing of one of the taps old fashioned fittings the shower didnt work we told the staff but the manager was never there we were offered a stay at another hotel but this was impratical the food was terrible small portions of overcooked veg meat cut with a scalple the vegetarian cottage pie had a skin on it the staff worked very hard and were always pleasant the entertaiment was the same every night bingo quiz then some singing some of the djs said the same jokes overall we will not be going back to this hotel or any others as we heard bad reports on their other hotels too

Room Tip: dont choose a room here
5 Thank Christopher S
SteveKing1969, General Manager at Trecarn Hotel, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Sorry you experienced problems during your recent stay. It is a shame that you have made the choice to not go to any of our other hotels as if you wanted luxury we have our Coast & Country hotels which may be more suited to your tastes. I am investigating the room concerned as I do not like guests being unhappy when they visit us. I only wish I could have sorted things to your satisfaction when you were here