“National Coach Holiday”
Review of Trecarn Hotel

Trecarn Hotel
Ranked #85 of 85 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel recently on a national holiday coach trip. We were in a ground floor room, that was basic but clean and comfortable. Alto ugh the trip is entitled Torquay the hotel is actually based in Babbacombe ,but I knew this having done some research beforehand. Torquay is a short bus ride away and the stop is right outside the hotel. The staff were helpful and welcoming on our arrival. The food in the hotel was excellent and the menu gave plenty of choice and always included a vegetarian option. I thought the whole package was good value for the price we paid. The hotel is undergoing ongoing refurbishment and some areas do look shabby and tired. Overall I would return to this hotel and would recommend irt particularly for the delicious food.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank Carole M
SteveKing1969, General Manager at Trecarn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Thank you for your review and recommendation. As I Hope you could see during your stay we are constantly undergoing upgrades and refurbishment and have just completed replacing the majority of the bedroom windows. We continue to work with our maintenance team to do decoration within the hotel too. Hoe we get to welcome you again soon to the hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (1,314)

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Don't be put off by the negativity because the Bay Trecarn at Babbacombe (to clarify Babbacombe is a district of Torquay, Devon, just 1.3 miles from Torquay, which itself is in the area of Torbay) is excellent for the money. I really despair of some people who just want to complain about everything. My wife and I visited on a National Holiday break in July 2014 and thoroughly enjoyed it. Yes it's not 5 star but you get what you pay for and we were pleased with everything we received. Our room, 107, had clearly being recently refurbished and was very nice - well apart from a small damp patch on the wall and the duck tape holding the bath panel together! In truth everything was fine, the room was well equipt, very clean and the cleaning staff certainly worked very hard to maintain that. The dining area is extremely pleasant and the food was excellent, with lots of choice and fine quality. We had an allocated table and associated waitress, Coral, who was very nice and extremely hard working. Depending on what time you went for your meal, occasionally the time to be served seem lengthy (a British problem because we don’t like to wait!) but this was due to the number of people to be served and not the staff, who right across the hotel, we're charming, helpful and well organised. The location of the hotel in Babbacombe was excellent – really it’s a lovely place to visit – and my wife and I would certainly return. In all honesty, it’s difficult to find anything to complain about but I'm sure, like others, we could. However, that would be wrong because the Bay Trecarn is first rate and certainly what we were given while there was real value for money. Well done.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
11  Thank David S

Thank you so much for your balanced assessment and review of your recent stay with us. We do strive to deliver a high level of service without as you stay charging high prices. I think we sit comfortably into the market we aim for. I will pass on your kind words to Coral, who is a tireless worker and regularly gets mentions like these. I hope we get to welcome you to the hotel again soon

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Our room was not refurbished, carpet dirty, not fitted properly a danger as could easily trip on it. Dark dismal room, a large tree covered outside of window so no daylight. Spiders and cobwebs on walls. Toilet did not flush properly took 2 hours to fill up and continuously dripped. Took maintenance 3 days to come and fix and still wasn't right. Food awful, bland, tasteless, small portions. One night was supposed to be 5 course gala dinner, one course was a glass of wine the other tea/coffee and usual 3 courses. Drinks package was a rip off as you could only have certain drinks. The worst point of all was when we arrived we had to lug our cases up 10 steps. We are in our 70's as most other guest are elderly and no porters to carry our bags. On other coach trips our bags have been sent straight to our rooms. Would not go with National again, driver very unfriendly no banter or personality. Entertainment in hotel was lacking, only 1 hour per night. Everything finished at 10.30pm.

Room Tip: Request a refurbished room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. As with the usual all inclusive drinks deals, there are house brands and what I would consider household brands on the list which is common practice. We always have a porter on duty for arrivals and I am sure he would have happily carried your cases up to the room for you if you had made us aware you required assistance. I hope you find a holiday destination that you are happy with and sorry once again that we did not deliver the experience you were hoping for

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Visited with national holidays. Ask for low floor. Ended up with seven steps to climb.
Room overall tatty. Bathroom bad. Small a shower that gave a trickle. If you lowered the head better, to get good flow produce really hot water which you couldn't used. Lazy you had to keep pulling to turn light on, good point bright room.
Have stayed before but this was by far the worst room. Did ask to move but would have been a few days.
Food ok

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ChrisWalkerRochdale

Sorry to read that your stay was marred by the room you were allocated. I see that reception did look to moving you but we were busy. I will look into the issue of water pressure in those ground floor rooms. My apologies once again

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Best bay hotel we have stayed at we were lucky to get. A refurbished front of hotel room only disappointment was we requested through national holidays for a table to seat two in the dining room national holidays replied to my request by email confirming the hotel had been informed on arrival it was apparent we shared a table with others we then asked the dining room manager had she received my request she denied any knowledge of it I showed her my email but nothing was done after several requests very disappointing apart from this the staff and service were excellent very enjoyable especially the waitress that served table 22 between 2nd to 6th July unfortunately I didn't get her name

Room Tip: Rooms at front of hotel seem to be refurbished
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, especially as it was a five star one! Sorry about the mix up regarding a table for two. I hope you will be considering a further visit to the hotel and if so, please give me a call direct so I can try my best to get you a table for two.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

It is a lovely hotel the food very nice although more care is needed checking if crockery etc. is clean, staff were excellent. Entertainment was excellent.....
The room we got was the worst room we have ever stayed in while on coach trips....the bin in the bathroom had not been emptied from the previous occupiers. The bathroom was so small you couldn't take your clothes off in there or take anything in with you......it was so small the hand basin was in the bedroom under the window (clear window) couldn't really stand and get a wash/brush teeth unless the curtains were closed. Handle was missing from the chest of drawers. Like I have said the hotel is a very nice hotel but think we must have got one of the worst rooms in the hotel. It is a shame because it really has put me off going back.
Non of us expect 5 star but do expect rooms to be better than we had...

Room Tip: Not room 254
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank durhamwitch
SteveKing1969, General Manager at Trecarn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

So sorry that your stay with us was marred by a lack of attention with your room. I hope you will consider a return and if so, please give me a ring beforehand and we will try to get you into one of our newer refurbished rooms

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Came to this hotel on a coach holiday with National. Had a single room, in what I assume was the older part of the hotel. Definitely had not been refurbished! Tacky radio, no TV, peeling paint on windowsill, window held in place by gaffer tape? Tiniest shower I've ever had to use, couldn't turn round in it. However, the storage space was good (wardrobe and drawers, but only 4 hangers!) and the bed clean and comfortable.
Having said that, although my room was in need of TLC, I have to say that the staff were doing their utmost to keep us happy.The food was good, with a reasonable choice on both the breakfast and the dinner menus. My waiter was top notch! Quick, friendly, helpful, nothing seemed to be a problem for him. (Jacob). Nice young man.
Babbacombe is not Torquay, but it is Torbay. The area is worth a repeat visit, I enjoy the camaraderie of coach holidays as I am a single traveller and do not drive. Not too sure about a repeat visit to the Trecarne, unless the refurb is completed sooner rather than later.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank AnneRigby

Thank you for your feedback. We are currently replacing every window in the hotel to ensure all rooms have double glazing, and we are constantly looking at refurbishment with a further 14 rooms in the pipeline. I hope that with your positive experience of the break that this will encourage you to visit us again!