“Not happy”
Review of Trecarn Hotel

Trecarn Hotel
Ranked #85 of 85 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 6 August 2014

No cold running water in bathroom, TV not working, no allotted table in restaurant, no hair dryer, telephone not working. Made complaint to manager, at least he said sorry. Complained via bay hotels website, did,nt even get a reply. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Pick one at another hotel
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gary R
SteveKing1969, General Manager at Trecarn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

I remember taking to you whilst you were with us and I apologise once again for the problems you experienced during your visit to the hotel. I always hope that our guests enjoy their stay and certainly wish this was the case in this instance.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,303)

Reviewed 6 August 2014

We were given room 208,we went to room and had to repair Yale lock to get access,the carpet had holes and was filthy,the furniture appeared to come from a charity shop all marked and mismatched,the wardrobe had a label inside for Jamie's room,the TV had only one channel and the room was not serviced till the 3rd day.The bathroom toilet cistern was hang in loose and therefore the seat could not be lifted up to stay up,the hot water tap on the sink barely ran.The service of the bland food in the dining room was pathetically slow as was the bar service,on our first night I asked for a jug of water with our meal,I asked 3times eventually I found an empty jug and went to the toilet and filled it myself.All in all a totally miserable stay .I appreciate that the hotel is being modernised but these inadequate rooms should not be used till they have the same treatment.

Room Tip: Only accept a refurbished room
1  Thank arty18

Sorry to read that you experienced some problems during your recent stay with us. I will look into the issues you mention in your review as I do not want our guests to have an unhappy visit to us. Apologies once again

Reviewed 6 August 2014

booking with national holidays we stopped in the bay trecarn hotel on the babacome downs.hotel was a bit basic and fairly clean. a two min walk from the downs itself which are very picturesque.we stopped bbem and the meals are fabulous,a good range to choose from.would go again and the price was very good too.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank angie m

So pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you will consider a further visit to us. Don't leave it too long!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I have missed putting a few reviews on TA for some time but i will get back into the swing of it now.
Both myself and the wife are in our sixties and although we go to Egypt fairly regular we decided to see a bit more of our lovely country as well. I had never been to Torquay , Torbay , Dartmouth or Brixham before but on this break i managed to visit them, all on the inclusive trips provided by this National Holidays.break
First the Coach .When we were picked up it was a RED LINE coach contracted from the Preston Area and not the National Holidays fleet coach we were led to expect . The coach was dated but very respectable , the air conditioning was blowing a cold blast towards the rear of the coach from the start and when i complained to the driver all he said was " if i do turn the air conditioning on it will freeze you" ! Being in air conditioning and refrigeration for the last 45 years i was really dissapointed by that attitude as he made no effort to see how bad it actually was ? However on looking around to where the source of the icy blast was coming from i found the drivers side air conditioning end cover was laid on the parcel shelf and not fitted back in the unit ? I duly pushed it back in place and kept checking it for the rest of the break. Once that had been sorted and the passengers at the rear of the coach defrosted it was not so bad.
The Hotel: We have been on enough National Holiday breaks not to pay too much attention to the moaners about room standards , cleanliness , old carpets etc but we make our mind up ourselves and in this case the Hotel was very well situated 200 yards from the beautiful Babbacome Downs , Tesco and Co-op just down the road . award winning Fish and Chip shops 300 yds (yes thats two award winning chippies in the same street !) Two asian restaraunts , two small pubs all down the same road not 300 yards away ! If you are prepared to walk 400 yards onto Babbacome Downs you can sit in the Pub Garden of the Year and partake of a St Austel brewery pint of "tribute ale" very similar to "wainwrights " by Thwaites , enough said ! 50 yards finds bus stops both ways for a visit to Torquay Town itself.
Room : The room had been refurbed i think ? Anyway the glazing was relativly new and that allowed me to look out and actually see from a "Torquay Bedroom Window " alas no Wilderbeasts ! Clean and tidy , clean towels daily but a shower that just allowed my extremeties to squeeze through ! Creaky floorboards . Yes . Bit tired in places . Yes Squeeky doors . Yes but overall good ! Evening entertainment seemed to be enjoyed by all , Bingo , Quiz and Artist followed by a bit of a Disco . Note , Bar prices are Hotel prices not your local working mens club prices!,
Food: Always a discussion point on reviews . THe food was not up to the regular National Holidays standard . Dont get me wrong it was entirely edible but seemed to lack a bit of care and thought .National Breakfasts are usually buffet style where you can choose your bacon or sausage a bit less cooked or a tad caramalised or maybe two eggs or maybe less beans or a better cooked tomatoe but you got what was served and were not asked your preference .! Evening meals , as i say edible but lacking . Third day we went out to try the chippie down the road , enjoyed it but anybody who has eaten at Bizzie Lizzies in Skipton knows what a award winning chip shop is all about !
So place . Very good ... Hotel . Good .. Food .Eatable Could do with rethink methinks .
Hope to get a National Holidays coach on the next break !

Room Tip: Wi Fi available through "the Cloud" in the Lounge. You are expected to carry your own lug...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank theleveller

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review. Overall I think it would be fair to summarise that you enjoyed your stay and the hotel met your expectations. I hope you will consider a further visit to the Trecarn in the near future

Reviewed 4 August 2014

All started well, We waited at the coach station and sure enough bang on time arrived the coach!
The coach!!! Hmm well it was an old Redline coach and not one of the coaches boasted about by National Holidays.
Not very comfortable, seats narrower than usual.
Still we are on our way. hooray.:-)
Arrived at the Trecarn Hotel tired but excited about our stay here.
Reception gave us our key to our room 263 and told us to see the lady at the end of the dining room.
I asked about lift. Sorry she said no lift but only a few stairs to climb.
A few stairs! my god there were quite a few stairs and for elderly folk with heavy cases is was exhausting.
Finally got to our room.
The room was very basic and really needed a refurbishment for people to really be satisfied.
A wardrobe with a few hangers which kept falling off.
The bath!! OMG you needed a ladder to get in it was so deep.

Ok so we accepted what we had.and now for dinner.
I honestly think the chef must have been away on holiday or something.
Over the 5 days the food was terrible.
It was bland.No taste whatsoever.
Day 1, main course I had mushroom tagliatelli (was more like a soup)
My good lady had haddock gougons (fish fingers)
Day 2, main course, we had baked cod (full of bones and no taste) we both left it.
Day 3, main course, I had pork loin (hooray a good one at last) but wait. what was that on the plate? hmm we thought it was apple sauce. Wrong!!! it was supposed to be mashed potatoe, you would have needed a straw to take it.
My good lady had salmon broccoli (fish cakes)
Day 4, main course,we both had chicken supreme, it was nice but again veg very bland.

As you can see there has been no mention of starters or desserts because they were ok except
for the mushroom soup which had carrots and peas in it (must have been a chef special )

The hotel was great for entertainment and the guests were fantastic, we all got on well together and made lots of new friends.

Oddicombe beach is beautiful and the cliff railway great for getting down there.

I certainly will go back to Babbacombe but sorry not the the Trecarn Hotel.

Room Tip: ground floor definitely
2  Thank highlandermcleod

Sorry to read that some aspects of your stay with us were not satisfactory. I was surprised to read that the food was not to your taste as we do get lots of positive feedback normally, and we do try to offer a varied menu throughout the week. I hope that you find a destination that satisfies your requirements and offers you the good value we do at the Trecarn

Reviewed 3 August 2014

we stayed here for 4 days which turned into 5 due to me having a fall and having to go to Torbay a&e. Staff were wonderful & helpful especially the receptionist with dark hair & glasses(sorry didn't catch her name). She cleaned & dressed my wounds. She then phoned for a taxi to take us to a&e. As we were there 6 hours she also accommodated us in another room as we were too tired to travel. Can't praise her enough. Food was good. Our room was fine. Ignore bad reviews.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post a review, even though you suffered a visit to the local hospital whilst you were with us. The girl in question who helped you was Carla, our head receptionist and I will make sure to pass on your kind words to her. She always works tirelessly to help our guests and it is great to see her hard work getting noticed. Thank you once again

Reviewed 1 August 2014

It is many years since my wife and I last visited the Trecarn hotel. The standards then were excellent and I am pleased to say that they have not dropped since then. From the moment we stepped through the door, we were greeted by friendly, helpful staff. We had a ground floor room(107) which was clean and well decorated. There were plenty of towels and hot water in the bathroom and adequate storage space. The only grumble was that the main light in the bedroom was dim but this is a minor thing as we did not spend that much time in there. The food was superb and the dining room staff very efficient especially Laura our waitress. Nothing was too much trouble for her. Good entertainment in the evening rounded off a very nice stay. We will be back and not leave it so long next time. D Hannay

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank David H

Thank you so much for posting your 5 star review of your recent visit. So pleased to read that despite it being a while since your last visit you enjoyed it equally as much. Hopefully you will not leave it as long until your next trip to visit us!