“ hotel room just needs updating. .”
Review of Trecarn Hotel

Trecarn Hotel
Ranked #85 of 85 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

Traveled to this hotel for four a day break with national holiday ..
Staff are great , very helpful , food and dining room loverly ..Enjoyed our stay very much .
Only trouble was the hotel room . Bed was a nightmare . Very uncomfortable . Shower was not worth using . Furniture was old and boken..

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
SteveKing1969, General Manager at Trecarn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Thanks for taking the time to post. It is encouraging to read that staff, food and dining room were up to your expectations. We are in the process of refurbishing rooms and I am hopeful of another batch being completed this winter

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Have just returned from a 7 day break with Caledonian. Room was ok not that big and shower room very small. Cold water was just a drip!!! Food was very good and our waiter Alex was very friendly and helpful. The entertainment at night was very good every act was good. The 4 free drinks every night was very good. Babbacombe is a lovely place, quiet and peaceful. Yes it is a bit hilly. Would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: A refurbished room on a low floor.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Spain21

Thank you for your kind review. It is always good for me to read that our visitors had a great holiday with us, and I will pass along your praise to Alex who is an excellent waiter and works very hard to deliver for his customers. Many thanks once again

Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Our first visit 3 - 9th Aug. I requested that We would like our room next to my fathers and also a refurbished room a few months before the holiday and luckily Carla had managed to do that for us. We really enjoyed our holiday.
The food was very good and our waitress (young girl; long dark hair, wore glasses) was so polite and worked hard very friendly made it so nice. The rooms we had were ok. Clean and tidy. They were tidied every day.The entertainment was very good. The 4 vouchers for bar drinks every day were good too.
We would love to go again.
Also the National coach. driver was really friendly and gave us tips on various things there to.do.and see his manner brilliant

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank bodybeautiful

What a lovely review, thank you for taking the time to post, and award us 5 stars!! I am glad we were able to meet your requests and expectations. I know the reception team work hard to do this when they can. Hope we see you again sometime soon

Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Location: Babbacombe in a residential road. Quite hilly surroundings and a fair walk to the centre. Hopeless if one is not fit and active. However there is a bus stop a short walk away (up an incline) 3 buses, 11,22 and 32 take passengers to Torquay.
Room 109: A re-furbished room (I rang in advance to ask for one because of reviews) was clean. The bathroom was adequate, although the shower was very small, difficult to bend down to feet!! We managed though. There was never any cold water - very odd, but the hot was very hot. The TV was analogue! Didn't know they still existed and very fuzzy. We thought all rooms had digital TV. After a night of broken sleep owing to the springs in the mattress hardly being covered by any material and playing a symphony, I had a word with the receptionist. I explained I didn't expect them to conjure me up a new mattress but maybe it could be covered with a duvet or something. Sure enough this was done and was therefore more comfortable. Full marks for carrying this out. We were given clean towels every day. Plenty of tea and coffee making facilities. The bathroom could have done with a towel rail that wasn't situated over the loo!!!
Meals: Breakfast was fine. I enjoyed everything I ate. The eggs rarely had runny yolks but that's ok. The evening meal was more hit and miss and sometimes not exactly what was expected. The breaded fish was definitely frozen and the plaice gougons had very hard breaded outside. The veg was ok. I did send some black roast potatoes back one day, but there was no problem and replacements were brought. Service excellent by Coral and quick. Other reviews have spoken of tardy service, this was not our experience. I had two packed lunches for our homeward journey which were basic but fine and cheaper than motorway food!!
Public rooms: Very good, but it was difficult to find somewhere to sit in the evening, which didn't bother us too much as the
entertainment wasn't our 'thing'.
Outside space: several tables and chairs. Not pretty - just bushes - but practical.
Staff: Very helpful
We were on a National Coach trip and honestly it really was value for money. We didn't pay 5 star prices and didn't get it, but then we didn't expect it. I'd go again. In the end the hotel was a base where we ate and slept before going on our lovely days out. Don't be put off by some people who, either like to complain or expect too much. Thank you for a nice visit.

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Barbaraharr

I am glad you had a nice visit to the hotel and your thorough review was very constructive and helpful. It is always useful to get such feedback as it helps us to continue to make improvements. I shall pass on your kind words to Coral and will certainly hope to see you visit us again.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

No cold running water in bathroom, TV not working, no allotted table in restaurant, no hair dryer, telephone not working. Made complaint to manager, at least he said sorry. Complained via bay hotels website, did,nt even get a reply. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Pick one at another hotel
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gary R
SteveKing1969, General Manager at Trecarn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

I remember taking to you whilst you were with us and I apologise once again for the problems you experienced during your visit to the hotel. I always hope that our guests enjoy their stay and certainly wish this was the case in this instance.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

We were given room 208,we went to room and had to repair Yale lock to get access,the carpet had holes and was filthy,the furniture appeared to come from a charity shop all marked and mismatched,the wardrobe had a label inside for Jamie's room,the TV had only one channel and the room was not serviced till the 3rd day.The bathroom toilet cistern was hang in loose and therefore the seat could not be lifted up to stay up,the hot water tap on the sink barely ran.The service of the bland food in the dining room was pathetically slow as was the bar service,on our first night I asked for a jug of water with our meal,I asked 3times eventually I found an empty jug and went to the toilet and filled it myself.All in all a totally miserable stay .I appreciate that the hotel is being modernised but these inadequate rooms should not be used till they have the same treatment.

Room Tip: Only accept a refurbished room
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank arty18

Sorry to read that you experienced some problems during your recent stay with us. I will look into the issues you mention in your review as I do not want our guests to have an unhappy visit to us. Apologies once again

Reviewed 6 August 2014

booking with national holidays we stopped in the bay trecarn hotel on the babacome downs.hotel was a bit basic and fairly clean. a two min walk from the downs itself which are very picturesque.we stopped bbem and the meals are fabulous,a good range to choose from.would go again and the price was very good too.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank angie m

So pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you will consider a further visit to us. Don't leave it too long!