“Amazing”

Ranked #71 of 88 Hotels in Torquay
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing”
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Had a lovely time here. Great weather, owners and staff were always pleasant and helpful, the chef and food was of a lovely standard. Don't know what all the bad reviews are about!!!! The family run business is very nice indeed. Enjoyed our afternoon swims and poolside relaxation - lifeguard friendly too! Would definitely visit again, had a really nice break!!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank RosieS2468

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Bridgend, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2012

Went with some of my usual group of friends for 5 days and all agreed this ranked amongst the worst we had been to. Stone steps led up to entrance so if you have mobility issues forget it.....cannot understand why a ramp had not been put in place as a number of guests struggled. Plus it's also an hotel used by coach companies who have a large disabled clientele,which my group of 8 come into,
No porter service on arrival we had to collect our own bags and take to our rooms there was a lift.
Our rooms were all on top floor at rear of hotel with a wonderful seaview. They were large and airy and the beds were comfortable. Shame that in many rooms the windows were stuck or jammed up with newspaper and could not be opened. Over the bath shower system in all our rooms were a problem as was the temperamental hot water system. Toilets didn't flush properly and the toilet brushes were disgusting.
There were TV's in all the rooms but the positioning was ridiculous and the leads not long enough for them to be moved.Two of our group did and the owner was not amused.
I wish I could gloss over mealtimes but would be doing any readers of this review a dis-service.
The so called "Chef "was so desperately in need of a refresher course in both catering and manners it was painful to witness(I personally would have shown him the door) Three of our group,myself included,were/are very successful highly qualified caterers in addition we have an extremely gifted amateur in our ranks.
N.B. We were not allowed in the dining room until "Chef" arrived and declared them open.......
My evening meal the first night was a ham salad,one slice of not very good ham and what has to rank as the worst salad on record, the rest of the group were not happy with their choices which were all of 2.This set the standard for every evening meal:- there were 2 choices,if these didn't suit you could have a ham or cheese salad (cheese was grated) or an omelette.There were no roasts,and when one of the other guests asked was told by the "Chef" he only did them on a Sunday!!!! At the end of our meal it was announced by the "Chef" that tea/coffee would be served on the terrace by himself (out of flasks) pretentious or what!!!
As I am dairy intolerant which unfortunately also includes beef neither of the choices for Tuesday evening were suitable,however the "Chef" had a brain wave and told me I could have the pancakes without the cheese sauce so I was "sorted".It came with salad and was awful,when I asked the waitress for some coleslaw the "Chef" came and told me in as loud a voice as possible that as I was dairy intolerant he had omitted it,I was speechless(that takes some doing) and by the time I was able to reply he had gone.I did speak to Ranji the owners wife and explained to her that coleslaw is not a dairy product but fat and their "Chef" needed a lesson in manners as well as catering.
The fish and chips most of us had on the Wednesday evening caused more than a few upset stomachs,however I think, as did a number of others, it was down to the batter or rather the fat it had been cooked in.
Still on the mealtime theme at breakfast on Tuesday we had 5 pots of tea and 3 of coffee brought to our table and returned before one made with boiling water arrived and this happened at many other tables. The full english wouldn't feed a small child and was unappetising,the toast was cold,extra butter non existent,cornflakes could virtually be counted, all in all a total disaster.
Everyone made sure they had a good mid-day meal when out to make up for both the morning and evening deficiencies.
This set the tone for the rest of our stay apart from the fact our tea/coffee was boiling hot for the duration.The waiting staff were charming and seemed embarassed by the whole scenario.
Evening entertainment was not too bad and you could always go out,house doubles were a good price according to my husband,beer could have been cheaper.
We would definitely not go back or recommend .

Room Tip: Top floor back of hotel as you have a sea view plus peace and quiet.....if you still decide to go af...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
12 Thank Alison P

Travellers are raving about these Torquay hotels

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Wife and I stayed 5 nights in February, we had booked a quiet twin room, but on arrival were given a tiny double bed in a tiny room. When we complained to the manager he ushered us to his wife who acted as though it was all our fault and said "we havent got anywhere else to put you, all the rooms are taken" After insisting that we with myself at 6'2" tall couldn't sleep in such a tiny double bed she said we could have a family room which she normally charged extra for. The room itself was better, but it certainly was not quiet, being directly over the entertainment room which was noisy till after 11:30pm. My wife and I have both recently had/have Cancer and like to have reasonably early nights, and again the manageress didn't seem to offer any support, saying we were just moaning. Rang Bowens, but got the impression that as they always use this Hotel, they weren't going to take responsibility and challenge her unhelpfulness. Food OK, if you need any help ask the maids or waiters/tresses who really did try to help.
Old Hotel which could do with decorating and modernising.
SeddersL'boro.

Room Tip: Speak to the manageress before you book to ensure you'll get the room you need!!!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Christopher S
Walsall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2012

This hotel should be closed down its the worst hotel we have ever stayed in. Fire doors were Wedged open, windows didnt lock x we had to wedge them with paper to stop them from rattling, Toilets didnt flush properly x left faeces in toilet,even after flushing several times, the toilet brush was coverd in faeces from other guests, the swimming pool wasnt heated x we could only use it for 1hr per day 4 30 /5 30 it did not state this in the brochure. The food is very poor x the portions are very small very poor x limitied choice of menu,they cannot get you in x out of the dinning room quick enough, 10 in our party had diarrhoea including myself, our room was small x dated you had to climb over chairs to get about, The furniture was like it had come out of a second hand shop, Ken X Rajni make you feel very unwelcome x Ken watches everything you do, he constantly follows guests around the hotel, This hotel should have a full inspection on there hygiene x cleanliness policys of everyone involved in this establishment .......

Room Tip: Do not go there
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Kathleenforrest
Paignton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2012

I have been to this hotel for work related purposes for some while now and find the owners
Ken and Rajni to be kindness itself, they run a spotlessly clean hotel and strive to give good value to guests. There are a lot of restrictions on what can be done in these listed buildings and it makes it hard to change layouts. Chris the chef never fails to impress with his skills and his cakes are 2nd to none. These days coach firms are dictating what hotels can do by forcing down rates and it is a great shame for the holiday makers who
still expect 5* treatment at 1* prices. If you want value and good location with family run attention then here it is

Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Rob B
Cwmbran, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2011

My sister and I took our 90 years "young" mother to the Abbey Court for a belated birthday treat.,and what a treat!! As a frequent traveller I regularly use Trip Advisor to ascertain hotel quality before travel.This hotel had mixed reviews but I was swayed by the sincere "positive "comments.My "gut" instinct was proved to be right.The proprietors .Ken and Ranj were delightful.Their welcome and commitment to pleasing all their guests was outstanding.The hotel throughout was spotlessly clean and the food good.(Chris,the chef ,made the best porridge i have ever tasted !) Having often stayed in hotels that charge £80+ for b. and b. this hotel was excellent value for money ,and I would certainly return if revisiting Torquay

Room Tip: Many rooms have a sea view(-albeit a distance away) and the owners will do their utmost to accommoda...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank deniset580
Cwmbran, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2011

Just returned from a short holiday break to the Abbey Court Hotel with my Mum and sister - and what a fabulous time we had. Ken, Rajni, Chris (the chef) and Camila were so warm and welcoming, the hotel was spotlessly clean(absolutely loved the crisp, white, cotton sheets), the food was vey good and everyone was so pleasant and helpful. Added to that, the 'crowd' we had on our coach were fantastic and we met some really lovely people. Mum had a wonderful time and originally the trip was a belated gift for her 90th birthday but now that we are back we've already said we would like to return. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone!! Thank you all at Abbey Court.

Room Tip: ALL the rooms were fine as far as I am aware, but you could request a sea view which personally I pr...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family