“We'll be back!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Torquay
The Norcliffe Hotel
Ranked #137 of 149 Torquay B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Had an fantastic weekend at this hotel. Don't know how they do it for the price. The location is perfect - just across the road from the downs and cliff railway to the beach. Model Village and the interesting Bygones museum 400 yards away.
Hotel food is good and plentiful. Our room was basic but clean and functional. The bar area is cosy and the owner goes out of his way to create a happy atmosphere. We had entertainment on the Saturday night - a singing keyboard player who was excellent and provided music for all ages. We would definately return to this hotel as it is excellent value for money.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Harry E

Reviewed 13 August 2013

I also have just returned from a weekend break with my 10 year old granddaughter at the Norcliffe Hotel. What was wrong with it - NOTHING - I dont really know what Jane was on about. Its a 2 star hotel, what did she want.

I go on an awful lot of short break holidays as where I live is the place that time forgot. A week ago I booked a late deal 4 day weekend coach holiday for £100 for each of us. After reading many reports I arrived with great trepidation. I neednt have worried On arrival Karen was on the desk and she is a lady. Her husband, Nick, came to say hello, he is a gentleman who tries to be friendly. He is a second generation Sri Lankan and rather suntanned and I wonder if that has anything to do with the animosity.

Yes we had to book evening meal in advance - what's wrong with that - they have to get it cook it and be ready to serve at 6.30 by 2 of the nicest young ladies you could wish to meet.

Yes our room wasn't the best but a late booking meant takinging what was left. The hotel was clean and well decorated and the food was good. I do not go on holiday to spend my days in the hotel and it served the purpose for which I went, Lovely views over the bay; across the road from the steep walk or cabin down to a gorgeous small beach - walk down, ride up. Get the bus downhill to Torquay. Beautiful area, adequate hotel if you dont plan on living in it for the duration of your holiday. Friendly hosts.

Some people just like to complain. When I arrived I was so angry about what I had read. There is nothing wrong with the Norcliffe Hotel, if it doesn't suit you pay a lot more and go elsewhere to a 3 or 4 star hotel. It can't be that bad there were private guests staying who had booked and gone all by themselves.

Room Tip: Book well in advance and ask for what you want.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank fussy99
Reviewed 10 August 2013

I'd first like to say that the location of this hotel is great! It's near a very cute theatre and has wonderful views. The wait/cleaning staff are very nice and polite. This is where the positive ends for me.

The rooms are fine although you might need to sit on the end of your (VERY creaky) bed to see the tiny screens and the showers don't fit properly into holders.

The real problem with this hotel is the husband of the owner Nick likes to make speeches all through dinner and breakfast about how great his hotel is and how others in the area are failing and about his budget. If you want a drink at dinner you have to go and find him, just to get a soft drink.
Be prepared for him to make rude comments or to give either you, or other guests patronizing pet names. He happily gossips about other guests to you in the smoking area and obviously does this about everyone. Nick was rude and very dominating throughout the holiday. Karen his wife is a quiet woman but when spoken to is very prickly, expect to be walking on egg shells around this hotel if you're not a quiet old age pensioner.

If you want to divert from the rules even a tiny bit expect a personal reprimand from the owners. If you are late for breakfast they will come and knock at your door to tell you off!!

Also be ready for both him and his wife to tell you as many times as they can fit into the conversation that they are on a tight budget! In fact I was told I shouldn't expect great customer service or hospitality because it was a 'cheap' holiday and what more did I want?

I really implore anyone with children to avoid this hotel, there are no facilities for them and any noise is considered a crime at the Norcliffe, apart from the dire entertainment that they provide. Also anyone under the age of 60 who doesn't like having dinner at 18.30 or having to choose meals WELL in advance should not go here.

Now I know cheap holidays and have stayed in absolute dives and hostels all over the world but I have never met anyone as unbending and unfriendly as these two hotel owners. Manners and making your guests feel welcome doesn't cost a thing but obviously this doesn't factor into the Norcliffe's budget.

In summation the Norcliffe should be re-named 'The Nick show' and if you don't want to watch it or be a part of it then don't stay there. It would be laughable if I hadn't had to stay there, perfect hotel inspector candidate!

I must also say I was loathe to write this review as the owners were so aggresive towards any criticism about the hotel but I felt if it means others who prefer a relaxed holiday do not end up here then it will be worth it.

Room Tip: A partial sea view means a view over the back of other hotels and a small patch of sea view if you l...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Jane D
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We have just returned from a three day break at this hotel.The location is excellent, the staff are friendly, the food sufficient and the hotel was clean.The entertainment although not on every night was enjoyable.you are made welcome and Nick the manager created a warm atmosphere.We have stayed in hotels in New York ,London, liverpool amongst others, and of course you pay different prices and you get what you pay for,but all we can say is we left the norcliffe as happy as we have left those other locations.Thanks for a lovely stay nick from room 29

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank echotechnology
Reviewed 20 July 2013

First time we had stayed at this hotel, staff very helpful and friendly, nothing too much trouble. Food was great, good value for money, all freshly cooked. Hotel situated in perfect location, opposite cliff top rail and café, good views of the sea. Room was clean, but very basic. the thing that spoiled it was the heat, and only had two small windows for ventilation, had to leave the bedroom door open for some kind of air. was not impressed with bathroom facilities, shower was useless, good job their was a comunial full size bathroom in the corridor, although we didn't know we could use it until we asked.

Room Tip: do not opt for room 14, 15, 16
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank glynis s
Reviewed 10 July 2013

What can I say! Every wish was catered for, you feel like family from the minute you enter! Every minute you are in Nicks company you are laughing and joking! He was amazing with my Son. Food was lovely and had a lovely room straight out into the patio and gardens! Yes it is a little dates but it is a 2 star! To me hospitality alone makes this a 5 star! We will 100% be back!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Kayleigh P
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Just arrived home after five day stay. Great value for money,Nick and Karen were excellent hosts and always had time for a chat and a laugh. Entertainment was good and room was clean and comfortable. If you're reading this, Nick, well done from room 26.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family