Riviera Hotel
Hotel Kistor(Torquay)
Bute Court(Torquay)
South View(Torquay)
1,045 results
All reviewsrainbow hotelnational holidaysbuffet styleplenty of choicebit datedbreakfast and dinnerhalf boardcoach holidaybar priceseach eveningporridgeexcellent value for moneysea frontlong weekendgreat weekendtown centrecouldn't fault
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Travled by car,plenty of parking.Hotel was warm and staff very friendly.Room was clean and tidy though furniture was dated bed and towels excellent.Breakfast was good but would have liked scrambled eggs on the buffet.Evening meal was superb,mashed and roast potatoes were like home cooking,no powdered mash here,the Devon oatmeal soup was brilliant and so was the sweet selection.Staff in the dining room appeared like magic to remove used plates as soon as you finished,no waiting.One regret we had was the table allocated for the burlesque show we could not see the stage properly,would have paid extra to get a front row seat down stairs on the dancefloor,being old it brings back memories.Overall a really excellent weekendand tremendous value for money.Pity about the weather especially Friday night but Sunday was lovelly and sunny.Will come back again.

Room Tip: Rooms on floor 2 have double glazing so are much warmer
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank keithfromneath
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Travelled with Just Go for a four night break . We enjoyed our stay very much . The hotel is in need of a refurbish but the friendly staff and great food make up for that. But for what we paid it was excellent value for money and we will certainly return .

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 February 2014

This place is such super value for money !!! Food, room, entertainment worth every penny..
Shame some others don't really understand what they get for the cash...
Rainbow is a happy friendly hotel, it's situated in a lovely spot and our family are looking forward to our third visit this year in August!!!

Long may the rainbow continue!!

Julie Coe

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tawn1920
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Had a great birthday weekend at the Rainbow.. As ever staff and owner were great. Food excellent, great entertainment and the Torre Abbey room was worth the upgrade...
The best value hotel in the UK for sure!!
Thanks see you in August!!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank caking99
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Wanted a weekend away with a friend. Looked around and found the Rainbow International. On checking the hotel web site found that they had a specialist weekend. (Psychic Weekend). Not really my cup of tea but they were offering a bed, breakfast and evening meal package and free entry to all the different events for £75.00 per person for two nights this seemed like excellent value.

Upon arrival there is no getting away from the fact that the hotel is a little tired and dated. But we were given a friendly welcome on reception and dealt with very quickly. On arrival at our room again it was a little tired and dated and the wallpaper on all four walls took a bit of adjustment but the room was spotlessly clean. I think we were at the back of the main part of the hotel, as I had lost my sense of bearings due to the layout of the hotel, our window overlooked the trees so it was very pleasant. I think we must have had one of the bathrooms that had been updated as it was bright and clean (not at all like the pictures I had seen from previous reviewers) I was pleasantly surprised to find that we had a Jacuzzi bath but was slightly confused by the shower arrangement. The bath had a mixer tap with shower head but this was fixed to the wall very low down. (Ok if you wanted to wash your knees) There was no shower curtain or enclosure so didn’t use it for fear of flooding the bathroom. (Have to say I do prefer a shower in the morning). At the time I woke up in the morning there was only tepid water available for the bath so not the most pleasant way to have a bath but not the end of the world.

Going down to dinner we were greeted warmly by the staff and taken through in detail how we severed ourselves to the three course meal. There were two different soups on offer along with three choices for your main meal and then a variety of sweets. All the food was hot and well cooked and thoroughly enjoyed on both evenings. In our case as we left the table to get our next course by the time we came back the table was clear of the previous course. One thing I did miss in the evening, or it could be down to me not asking, there was no coffee or tea available. The bar was open so you could buy wine and drinks for your meal but I do like a cup of coffee to round off a good meal. (again a personal preference).

Breakfast was the same arrangement helping yourself to juices and cereals and then a cooked breakfast. Only two points for me with the breakfast was no mushrooms (personal favourite) and no scrambled egg (preferred over fried) but again the quality of the food was excellent. (have to say compliments to the chef as the fried eggs did not have hard bottoms and the yolk was runny, lovely)

I am due back with my husband in a couple of weeks, again to a speciality weekend and have not been put off at all. The comfy bed, clean room, excellent food, friendly staff and value for money more than make up for the tired and dated décor.

Watch this space for my return visit review

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends