“God's waiting room needs redecorating!”

Rainbow International Hotel
Ranked #51 of 89 Hotels in Torquay
Bourg Saint Maurice, France
“God's waiting room needs redecorating!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

I will start with a positive - The young man on reception called Michael was really friendly and helpful, and our room was a decent size. It was made bigger by the holes in the ceiling tiles! Last decorated in the 90's this is a very sad and tired hotel. to quote a Radio 6 DJ it is the type of hotel that "caters for people who don't care what they eat so long as there is plenty of it!" I had the tomato soup to start - red salt water would be a better description. I followed this with boiled turkey (yes ...boiled!) roast potatoes hard on the outside and mush in the middle, still hard frozen veg and watery gravy. I was amazed at how good the chef was at removing any trace of flavour. The only good part was the cheddar on the cheese board. The bar was unmanned so we couldn't even get a drink to wash it down with - just water from a machine. Breakfast was more of the same, I wont bore you. In a town full of faded hotels this is very definately one to miss

Room Tip: choose one in another hotel!
2 Thank raoulthemonkey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
  • Polish first
Wrexham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

In January 2013 my wife and I had a four night stay at the Rainbow International; we enjoyed our stay so much that I said we would return as soon as we could. On Monday 17th February this year we did return on a ‘Just Go Holiday’.
Our room was warm and clean, the entertainment was good, and all the staff were pleasant and helpful. Now I come to the highlight of the hotel, the dinners, they are fantastic, I can’t speak highly enough of the Chefs, what they serve in the restaurant is nothing short of magic. Thanks to all the staff at the Rainbow for making our stay so pleasent, I only hope we will be able to return again in the future.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank David W
Roger H, Operations Director at Rainbow International Hotel, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write us such a lovely review. We are very happy that you enjoyed yourselves staying with us.
I will pass on your compliments to our chefs, and look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us soon.
neath
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

Travled by car,plenty of parking.Hotel was warm and staff very friendly.Room was clean and tidy though furniture was dated bed and towels excellent.Breakfast was good but would have liked scrambled eggs on the buffet.Evening meal was superb,mashed and roast potatoes were like home cooking,no powdered mash here,the Devon oatmeal soup was brilliant and so was the sweet selection.Staff in the dining room appeared like magic to remove used plates as soon as you finished,no waiting.One regret we had was the table allocated for the burlesque show we could not see the stage properly,would have paid extra to get a front row seat down stairs on the dancefloor,being old it brings back memories.Overall a really excellent weekendand tremendous value for money.Pity about the weather especially Friday night but Sunday was lovelly and sunny.Will come back again.

Room Tip: Rooms on floor 2 have double glazing so are much warmer
1 Thank keithfromneath
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

Travelled with Just Go for a four night break . We enjoyed our stay very much . The hotel is in need of a refurbish but the friendly staff and great food make up for that. But for what we paid it was excellent value for money and we will certainly return .

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

This place is such super value for money !!! Food, room, entertainment worth every penny..
Shame some others don't really understand what they get for the cash...
Rainbow is a happy friendly hotel, it's situated in a lovely spot and our family are looking forward to our third visit this year in August!!!

Long may the rainbow continue!!

Julie Coe

2 Thank Tawn1920
Swindon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

Had a great birthday weekend at the Rainbow.. As ever staff and owner were great. Food excellent, great entertainment and the Torre Abbey room was worth the upgrade...
The best value hotel in the UK for sure!!
Thanks see you in August!!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank caking99
Bath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

Wanted a weekend away with a friend. Looked around and found the Rainbow International. On checking the hotel web site found that they had a specialist weekend. (Psychic Weekend). Not really my cup of tea but they were offering a bed, breakfast and evening meal package and free entry to all the different events for £75.00 per person for two nights this seemed like excellent value.

Upon arrival there is no getting away from the fact that the hotel is a little tired and dated. But we were given a friendly welcome on reception and dealt with very quickly. On arrival at our room again it was a little tired and dated and the wallpaper on all four walls took a bit of adjustment but the room was spotlessly clean. I think we were at the back of the main part of the hotel, as I had lost my sense of bearings due to the layout of the hotel, our window overlooked the trees so it was very pleasant. I think we must have had one of the bathrooms that had been updated as it was bright and clean (not at all like the pictures I had seen from previous reviewers) I was pleasantly surprised to find that we had a Jacuzzi bath but was slightly confused by the shower arrangement. The bath had a mixer tap with shower head but this was fixed to the wall very low down. (Ok if you wanted to wash your knees) There was no shower curtain or enclosure so didn’t use it for fear of flooding the bathroom. (Have to say I do prefer a shower in the morning). At the time I woke up in the morning there was only tepid water available for the bath so not the most pleasant way to have a bath but not the end of the world.

Going down to dinner we were greeted warmly by the staff and taken through in detail how we severed ourselves to the three course meal. There were two different soups on offer along with three choices for your main meal and then a variety of sweets. All the food was hot and well cooked and thoroughly enjoyed on both evenings. In our case as we left the table to get our next course by the time we came back the table was clear of the previous course. One thing I did miss in the evening, or it could be down to me not asking, there was no coffee or tea available. The bar was open so you could buy wine and drinks for your meal but I do like a cup of coffee to round off a good meal. (again a personal preference).

Breakfast was the same arrangement helping yourself to juices and cereals and then a cooked breakfast. Only two points for me with the breakfast was no mushrooms (personal favourite) and no scrambled egg (preferred over fried) but again the quality of the food was excellent. (have to say compliments to the chef as the fried eggs did not have hard bottoms and the yolk was runny, lovely)

I am due back with my husband in a couple of weeks, again to a speciality weekend and have not been put off at all. The comfy bed, clean room, excellent food, friendly staff and value for money more than make up for the tired and dated décor.

Watch this space for my return visit review

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends