“Not that bad”
Review of Riviera Hotel

Riviera Hotel
Ranked #51 of 85 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with National Holidays.

Wasn't keen on the breakfast. Not good quality. Enjoyed the evening meals especially the soups and bread and butter pudding with custard. Appreciated the flexible hours (any time between 5:45pm-8:30pm) for the evening meals.

Room was clean.

Reception and restaurant staff very helpful and polite.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank roxyviva
Write a ReviewReviews (1,002)

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Just come back from a week at the rainbow, its the worst hotel I have stayed at. The bedroom was depressing, really in need of updating. The food was very boring no variety, veg all frozen and horrible. Lift in hotel out of action most of week, not good for less mobile. Water dripping on my head in night coming from drip in ceiling, nothing done about this, could not offer us another room. Would definatley not stay here again.

Room Tip: None bedrooms all very tired and as bad as each other
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gillian D
Themanatthehotel, Operations Director at Riviera Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Dear Gillian D

Many thanks for your review, as we don't have any information on your name or room occupied it would be very difficult to comment on the room. With regards to the water dripping onto your head, i can only assume it came from a shower in the room above as it obviously stopped and if we could not have offered you another room, we would have been fully booked. Had we have had other rooms available, we would have moved you immediately, even if you were not happy with the quality of room you had. I am sorry you did not enjoy the hotel.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights with my mum and 13 year old son staff at reception rude not helpful my mum struggled with all the stairs in this hotel. rooms weren't clean carpets dirty and smell around the room. breakfast awful I could stand my fork up in the egg. I would not recommend this hotel to my worst enemy.

Room Tip: choose a better hotel
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank vivienne m

Dear Vivienne M

Thank you for your review, firstly I must say that my reception staff are extremely helpful and are not rude. I am sorry your mum struggled with the stairs, i can only assume you did not request a lift access room when making your booking or request a change of room. Our rooms are refreshed and serviced daily and the carpets are clean. With regards to the egg, you would have selected this yourself from the buffet, we cook over 300 eggs each day for breakfast and have never had any problems. If you has let the restaurant staff know you were unhappy with the egg you chose, they would have been more than willing to arrange for a fresh egg to be cooked and brought over to you. I am sorry you didn't enjoy your stay and will not be returning.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Traveled with National Holidays on a 7 day coach trip from the Northwest... when we arrived our keys were available and no waiting which was good...but the lift wasn't working.. but they did get the porter to carry bags up to rooms ..which was great..our room was 503 very tiny ..outdated and very hot ..but was cleaned very well by the cleaning staff.. needs a bit of a refurbish a bit old fashioned .never went to watch the entertainment but after hearing from other guests i didn't miss much.. we went over to The Derwent Hotel and went for the swim and dine in their Aztec bar it was excellent ..also tried the local pub The Bull and Bush had a good steak meal in there,,so there are plenty of options around the area... i actually got fed up of the buffet carvery it became boring after a few days but i know lots of the elderly folks prefer this... there were some other dishes available but not that exciting at all and the soup as a starter everyday was boring need more variety .. wetherspoons and beefeater is within walking distance ...overall i give the hotel 7/10 for cleanliness ..staff 7/10.. food 6/10.. location 10/10

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I stayed at this hotel for only.1 night., My partner and I were scared half out of our wits for most of the early hours with constant door knocking from the (coach) party Piss heads arriving back at 02.05- 02.42-03.40 etc .As you can imagine with such a large number of people we did not ask for the problem to be rectified by the staff. After only getting a few hours sleep we had breakfast, packed our bags and put in a formal complaint to the acting supervisor as the manager was not available.
Your photos on Booking .com look great, taken 25 years ago perhaps (block 400), Very worn decor and as far as I can see no mention of the night club .and coach park.
.its a joke. but looks great on photo....the very small Pool
. Lastly the bath was not in a very hygienic state. With mist matched tiles and so called over bleached patches. The room was extremely hot with the windows rusted and hardly opening at all.
I had contracted with this Hotel to provide me with accommodation to rest for one night and to my surprise my allocated room was not fit for purpose.It also an implied term that the service provided would be done so with reasonable care and skill as required by the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982.
No sympathy what so ever from the management.

Room Tip: Main building room bookings only
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Don61Joe

Dear Don61Joe

Thank you for your review and highlighting the points that you had already written and complained about, including a comment that you demanded £150, i have therefore placed my reply to you below so people can read the two versions of your review.

Thank you for your recent correspondence. I am afraid this isn't the response you required along with an accompanying cheque for £150 but I will continue never the less.

We did have a group of lads in the hotel on the night you stayed. However, this was their 2nd night, and both nights we had several other rooms occupied which didn't complain about any door knockings or noise. Which of course you didn't during the alleged events, neither did you on check out the next morning. It was a while after you checked out that you returned to complain to reception.

I find it extremely bewildering why (having stated in your letter that you did not get the service you paid for?) you did not inform the night porter of the nocturnal goings on that were so distressing for you. Part of the service for which you paid £42.50 each was the services of a 24 hour reception manned at night by an extremely efficient and approachable very experienced night porter.... along with the heated pool, full English breakfast, Wifi, live cabaret entertainment - some of which I hope you made use of. The night porter has logged 2 rounds of your floor, and reported no noises, nor anyone complaining about noise.

Regarding the windows in your room, the larger ones don't open for health & safety reasons, but both the smaller ones at the top do. I agree the last few weeks have been extremely warm, and some of our guests have made use of complimentary electric fans that we have given out on request. The bath is clean and hygienic; the varnish on the white bath has discoloured to cream in patches, due I think, on the contrary to your accusations of poor hygiene, to overuse of chemical cleaning products.

I am sorry you didn't enjoy your one night at the Rainbow, but having carefully considered your complaint, I am unable to do anything further than apologise and hope that in future should you encounter a situation that scares the wits out of you, to be brave enough to phone reception at the time.

Kind Regards

Roger Hulstone

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Stayed at this hotel for a weekend break 25-27 July and had a warm welcome from the reception staff. Room was ok although we had a leaking shower that flooded the bathroom and the toilet flush was a bit temperamental. Beds where comfy though.

Entertainment was good and the hotel was in a prime location for the beach, harbour and town centre with plenty of places to eat and drink, we would recommend Mumbos for both.

Breakfast i'd watch out for, was really dry and we couldn't stomach it a second time it was truly that bad.

All in all for what it is and the price it was an ok experience but I don't think that I would go back which is a shame as it could offer a whole lot more if the attention to detail was present.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Helly888
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I just came back from a 5 day holiday with my friend with national holidays,this hotel is well situated for the beach.I used the land train from outside the hotel to get to the town and harbour.I enjoyed the carvery,but there are specials and vegetarian meals on request,breakfast was good,if you want poached or scrambled eggs you ask for them and they are quickly brought out for you.all of the staff were friendly and helpful.I would definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends