“What it says on the tin and Positive attitude to take into your holiday”

Rainbow International Hotel
Ranked #53 of 88 Hotels in Torquay
Chester
“What it says on the tin and Positive attitude to take into your holiday”
Reviewed 19 February 2011

Just returned from four days at Rainbow International Hotel Torquay and though there are some considerations for improvement there was nothing that detracted from a very enjoyable stay.
On arrival our driver asked us to stay on the coach while he let the staff know we had arrived. After returning to let us know they were ready for us and that we did not need to take our cases to book in, we had a run on rails reception, total professional, greeting, keys and direction to room. We got to our room and soon afterwards so did our luggage. The room had all we needed for en suite and self made beverage if needed.
So settled and now to dine, back down stairs to a roomy and well laid out Dining Room. The waiting staff were helpful, though it was self service, the choice of meals were always good with about three meats, associated fresh vegetables and an oriental choice. I am not vegetarian so did not know if this was available. Following the main meal there was a good choice of desert and just like the main meal the layout was clean and there was no mixing of product in serving dishes, so refreshing after some examples from abroad. Though my wife and myself popped out to explore our surrounding, the next hotel discovery was the entertainment. Though somewhat basic, we were entertained by Trisha for the first evening and she made us all welcome and special throughout the Bingo and her entertainment night. What a great finish to a great first evening.
There were some, wish it was better, considerations as I mentioned. There is only one lift to serve six floors, this can be annoying if you are waiting for it to accommodate guests going to meals at similar times, though it is offset by the reception and facilities floor, Ground, being at level three so only having a max of three floors to negotiate. The hotel itself could benefit from explaining this rather than the guests discovering it at various stages. Weird but some of our party only noticed that the lift went down if you selected TWO or ONE on the fourth night. Being a non smoker it is annoying that the Hotel does not enforce a no smoking policy at the main entrance, where smokers commonly gathered, meaning non smokers have to pass through their fug. The building could possibly benefit from a décor refresh but having encountered various health and safety nightmares abroad, the hotel was at least safe and clean and sincerely helpful in supporting it’s clientele.
Break standard followed the same status as the evening meal and set you up with a positive start to your day, the choice was close if not better than exceptional, with some of the best bacon I have seen and enjoyed, ever.
The rooms were tidied every day and the bed linen was always of a clean nature. The entertainment was not the same on Wednesday and was a little impersonal as it consisted of a disco, this said the venue for the disco was the best of the entertainment provided. Staff support was nothing less than expected throughout the stay and as with arrival departure also provided for bags being picked up from your room and loaded to your transport.
Obviously this was an out of season visit but I would not discourage anyone from visiting this hotel and I think the same would be said by any of our party. For February, I have been to places that rely on their weather for heating and therefore skimp on providing heat in colder seasons, this hotel ensured we were comfortable in all respects including heated water and room heating
Everything provided a brilliant experience for an away trip and some of the wish it was different even provided its own level of entertainment.

• Stayed February 2011
1 Thank rhoscwmryn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
  • Polish first
bath
Reviewed 31 January 2011

we stayed this weekend of 28th jan for 2 nights we read all reviews and decided to ignore bad comments it is true it could do with doing up but we paid 20.00 each per night b anb and 3 course evening meal the food was excellent and plenty of it.
pity they had no entertainment as i am sure people would have stayed and they would make money on bar but not a problem as pub across road had some on all in all very good stay will go back again.
only bad point reception staff could do with some some customer service training

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
clacton on sea
Reviewed 5 January 2011

My Wife and myself and two friends stayed at the Rainbow International in Torquay on the 22nd December until the 30th December, from the moment we arrived we were greeted warmly by the reception staff and without undue fuss were booked in, our car was down the other end of the car park but we were told a porter would walk back with us to get our cases, but he wasn’t needed as I managed to get outside the front door. Dinner was at 6pm and we went down just after, the food was well cooked and well presented help yourself to as much as you want roast meats that melted in your mouth several choices and various vegetables lots of puddings and cheese and biscuits and this happened everyday during our stay, with fish dishes rice and Tai food, meat pie Roast pots, boiled new pots, peas, carrots,brussels, parsnips,green beans.
The room on the 4th floor was adequate with TV, coffee and tea making facilities although at first it was cold but it was minus 6 degrees outside we soon put another blanket on the bed. The room looked like it had been refurbished with quite new bathroom furniture and nice white fluffy towels, but missing in the bathroom was a shelf to stand your nick nacks on also there was not a hook to hang a bathrobe on and no stool.
We found the hotel quiet and could not hear other people in other rooms and the place was full. The entertainment was basic with bingo and a quiz which is not to every ones likes. Presents were given to all the children by Father Christmas.
Our room was cleaned every day by a very pleasant lady.
The only bar open was hard to find as it was downstairs in the main lounge and when you looked in two other bars were shut but the drinks prices were not dear by hotel standards. Taken all round we enjoyed our stay there and would go again

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank sleepyClactonOnSea
England
Reviewed 15 December 2010

I stayed at this Hotel in May 2010 and now again in Dec 2010.
After reading negative comments nearly cancelled for May, thank goodness I didn't.

Warm clean and comfortable room, fantastic home cooked tasty food with plenty of choice. Friendly staff and ideally based for shopping and outings.

This is my second stay at this hotel and once again really enjoyed it. I travelled with my partner and my Mother and we all had a good time.
My mum (85 yrs old) had a problem with an uncomfortable bed, on reporting to Reception this was immediately changed. Staff could not have been more helpful.

Try it for yourself. This hotel offers excellent value for money and even has an indoor swimming pool, what more could you want?

• Stayed December 2010
2 Thank TraceytEngland
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 December 2010

food good,rooms not very clean,hotel very cold,lots of steps,entertainment awfull.

• Stayed December 2010
1 Thank busybren60

Travellers are raving about these Torquay hotels

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2010

For the last 15 years I have organised a trip for appromimately 35 - 40 people. I booked to go to the Rainbow earlier this year, and after reading many of the reviews I was to say the least alarmed. I had 3 people cancel because of the reviews. I spoke to the hotel who assured me that everything would be fine. I took a chance and stayed with the booking. I am glad I did, the group said this was the best weekend they have ever had, the food was excellent and plentiful. The entertainment was extremely good. The only complaint I had was that the bar did not open long enough. I admit the rooms could do with a lick of paint but they were clean, also clean bedding and towels. They all want to go there again next year. What better recomendation could you have than this.

• Stayed November 2010
1 Thank AlisonS68
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 November 2010

The staff were all very helpful,friendly & always available.
My room was very clean & tidy with the beds made every day & refreshments topped up.
The entertainment was appropriate for the time of year.
The whole hotel was clean & inviting.
I had a swim in the warm clean pool.
The food was very very good with plenty of selection.
Having said all that.The hotel could have done with decorating.only a small cosmetic thing that didn't cause any problems.
it was decorated ready for christmas very tastefully

• Stayed November 2010