“Great value well worth a visit.”

Chelston Manor Hotel
Chelston Manor Hotel
Ranked #64 of 85 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 29 August 2011

Myself and my family often visit many pubs in the Devon area and one Sunday afternoon came across the Chelston manor.We were met by we understand the new owners who were very welcoming,We asked for a table for 5 the place was almost full but then the landlady asked could we wait 20 mins and they would fit us in. Nothing was too much trouble one of my children is a funny eater so they made a special kids meal for him wow this was with a full restaurant..We all ate and adults shared a bottle of wine all for under £50.I would have payed a lot more and have for a lot less I the Torquay area.I cannot believe the bad reviews this place has got in the passed,let me assure you this is something you need to try for yourself. I would say book a table if your going on Sunday's as they have live music on later in the day. Thanks for a great day..

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 23 August 2010

we were met by a man serving in the bar who cleraly was not expecting us as he said we were expceted later the evening at first we thought the hotel was quaint the bedrooms were all sloping at a 40 degree angle which left us with a bad back the food was adequate in the evening if a bit expensive the man who greeted us was apparently the owner was very short in his conversation in so matter of fact about everything a light was reported on the stair well on thursday on unday this had still not been looked at the tea and coffee in your bedroom was never replenished during our stay the owner was doing far too much on his own he nnede help the gardens were unkept and the babies eating room had ripped seats in it the breakfast area was never hoovered during out stay and their should have been more toast for breakfst you only got one slive per person with no marmalade need i go on sorry never again

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2010

Firstly, it came as a suprise and disapointment that this place is a pub. Not the end of the world but certainly not evident from the website we booked though.

The building is old (17th century apparently) which should be a good thing but the decor is very tired and old fashioned.

Our room was not as clean as we would have expected (needed a decent dusting) and had a couple of really odd problems. The bathroom had no net curtain so in order to use the toilet without being in full view of the neighbours we had to wind the blackout blind down (the blind didn't work properly). There was also nowhere to hang towells up to dry.

Breakfast was very poor - low quality deep fried sausages weren't appetising and my request for a poached rather than fried egg was not able to be met on the basis that no-one in the kitcen can cook them (really!!!)

The garden area has a beautufl aspect seeing all day sunshine but none of the flower beds or hanging basket have received any attention recently so the botanists amongst you will be disappointed.

I decided to stay at this place as the B&B we have stayed at previously was full and this place had good reviews. I can not reconcile the stay I have just had with any of the other reviews on this website. Beware!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2009

I recently stayed at the Chelston Manor Hotel and was not expecting the stay that i had! Everyone was so friendly! Its a very old building (and you could tell by a little wear and tear) but that didnt put myself or my family off by any means! The staff are very friendly and seems they would go out of their way to help you in any way. It was very busy whilst we were there and the large sun trap garden was packed full of people every night (with friendly locals!) The food was very good indeed including our breakfasts every morning. We had the choice of tea or coffee, a selection of cereals and then a full english with toast, more than enough to set you up for the day! I would most definitely recommend this hotel to anyone. Value for money by far! I'd like to thank Matt (the owner) and Becky (the chef) for a great stay for my family and i. We will be back!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 August 2009

2 nights here, not long enough!!! Great atmosphere, lovely room with a brill view. Treated like Royalty by all staff. Nothing is too much trouble. Considering the age of the17th Century building, condition was excellent. Great garden, all types catered for and a very good price. We will return.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2009

Just got back from a great weekend at the Chelston Manor ,one of many me and my wife have had in the last two years.I was quite concerned when i read the review about the place,i thought they were talking about some other Chelston Manor because it certainly isnt the place we stay in several times ayear. Iwould recomend it to anyone who was looking for a clean friendly hotel excelent food Matt the owner and staff will go out of their way to make your stay very welcome .cant wait to go again STEVE NEWPORT.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 July 2009

The Chelston Manor (whilst less manoresque than I had expected) proved to be very adequate accommodation for mine and my 14 year old sons visit to Torquay. The staff were friendly but the owner Matt seemed rushed off his feet constantly and so I felt customer service suffered a little. The food was excellent and breakfast set you up for the day. Any variation on the 'full english' we required was provided without quibble and was always hot and well cooked. The pub food was really lovely.

The price was fantastic and as such I was able to put aside the slightly run down feel that the hotel had. There were bits of decoration that badly needed attention, plaster falling off the walls in places and the carpets were mismatched and looking a little old. All that being said, it was kept spotlessly clean, towels were changed frequently and the staff were lovely.

I would recommend this hotel to a friend if what they were looking for is somewhere clean and friendly to lay your head.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family