“Great again”

Ranked #65 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Great again”
Reviewed 4 March 2012

My family and myself have returned to the Chelston manor today looking for the same service we received last year. We were met by a man called Josh who remembered us from the last time and sat us at the same table. Wow I was impressed. I would be the first to complain if it went wrong but it was great value again food perfect and the lady's serving us were very smart dressed in black and very professional. Great choice I had beef dinner and the veg and roast potatoes come on separate plates and I could not eat it all. My boy is still a funny eater this time I phoned ahead when I booked the table and when the lady took the order she knew what we were ordering.
My expectations were high when we went back but I was not disappointed. 10/10
Thanks again for a great afternoon.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Torquay
Reviewed 17 February 2012

With the new owners has come a very good menu and quality meals at a very reasonable price.
Never had a poor meal or service here.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 February 2012

Visited the Chelston Manor for sunday lunch recently with my wife and four children. The new owners are doing a fantastic job of turning this place around. The food was incredible. Perfectly cooked with enormous portions, so much that we couldn't eat it all. The children were very well catered for with everyone going out of their way to fulfill our needs. The staff were friendly and very efficient, with the owner (Rob) ensuring that we had all the drinks that we needed, with offers of refills whenever we were running low. Apparently, the rooms in the Hotel are being refurbished and I will certainly be visiting to stay there whenever I can. For friendliness, good food and value for money, this is one of the best around

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Plymouth
Reviewed 19 January 2012

Some good friends of ours invited myself and my wife to go for a meal one lunch time to Chelston Manor, which they had used regularly in the past. The whole episode was so embarrassing for them that they couldn't apologise enough and will never go there again. After ordering our food, taken by a member of staff who didn't apparently need a pad as he had such a good memory, we waited 20 minutes for our starters. They all arrived at the same time but my wife's and mine were not what we had ordered. We didn't want to make a fuss to embarrass our friends so we ate them. When a different member of staff came to clear the table, she asked if everything was ok. I told her that apart from not getting what we ordered, it was. Her curt reply was, I'll tell the member of staff who took the order. She returned with our main courses, said nothing about the wrong order and left. I had ordered a steak and kidney suet pudding. It was virtually inedible as the casing was rock hard and I was scared to cut into it for fear of spreading it around the room. I struggled to eat the accompanying vegetables but they were disgusting and I left most of it. When the waitress came to clear the table she asked if everything was ok. I told her it was inedible. Again her curt reply was, I'll tell chef. I replied, "Tell him to eat it". When we went to the bar to pay, there was no apology, nothing. The guy just told us what it was. Had I been there with just my wife I would have walked out before attempting to eat the main course and I would have refused to pay. As we were there at the invitation of friends, I felt obligated to not cause a scene. What is the point of a waitress asking if everything is ok if she had no intention whatsoever of doing anything about it? I feel sick for handing over money for what can only be described as disgusting food. I understand they are relatively new owners but word will soon spread locally and the place will soon die.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jeff M
Reviewed 30 December 2011

Chelston Manor is not a venue I would revisit. Travelled to Torbay to enjoy the beautiful scenery of the once affluent destination known to many as The English Riviera. Staff were surly, dismissive and clearly despised the employ. Not clean. Food was very poor (When it eventually arrived). Avoid at all costs.

• Stayed July 2011
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2011

Myself and my family often visit many pubs in the Devon area and one Sunday afternoon came across the Chelston manor.We were met by we understand the new owners who were very welcoming,We asked for a table for 5 the place was almost full but then the landlady asked could we wait 20 mins and they would fit us in. Nothing was too much trouble one of my children is a funny eater so they made a special kids meal for him wow this was with a full restaurant..We all ate and adults shared a bottle of wine all for under £50.I would have payed a lot more and have for a lot less I the Torquay area.I cannot believe the bad reviews this place has got in the passed,let me assure you this is something you need to try for yourself. I would say book a table if your going on Sunday's as they have live music on later in the day. Thanks for a great day..

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2010

we were met by a man serving in the bar who cleraly was not expecting us as he said we were expceted later the evening at first we thought the hotel was quaint the bedrooms were all sloping at a 40 degree angle which left us with a bad back the food was adequate in the evening if a bit expensive the man who greeted us was apparently the owner was very short in his conversation in so matter of fact about everything a light was reported on the stair well on thursday on unday this had still not been looked at the tea and coffee in your bedroom was never replenished during our stay the owner was doing far too much on his own he nnede help the gardens were unkept and the babies eating room had ripped seats in it the breakfast area was never hoovered during out stay and their should have been more toast for breakfst you only got one slive per person with no marmalade need i go on sorry never again

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple