“Very understaffed”
Review of Bay Tor Park Hotel

Bay Tor Park Hotel
Ranked #29 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We have just returned from The Tor Park Hotel booked through Shearing Self Drive holiday. The hotel is on the outskirts of the town. A bus stop very nearby was excellent for travelling into Torquay or further afield, we used this service every day to visit different parts of Devon. The hotel itself could ro with refurbishment especially the bathroom in our bedroom, which had wallpaper coming off the walls, no wall bracket for the mixer tap shower and the window frames were very dirty. The staff were all excellent but the poor dining room staff I felt sorry for, they were desperately short staffed and literaly ran around all the time, our last two meals we waited 30mins before we were even asked what our order was, the last morning we waited 45mins for our cup of teas to arrive, I feel the Manager should employ more staff as we were certainly put off and would not return (I must point out it was not the waiting staff at fault and they did keep apologising)
. We stayed at the Royal Hotel in Whitby 3 weeks ago and the service because of being well staffed could not be faulted although that also needed a refurbishment. We have always found Shearings although not cheap to be worth the cost but feel they should start spending some money on their Hotels as it is very off putting.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room if there are any.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank patsy22Newcastle
Aneta E, Manager at Bay Tor Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear guest,

Firstly please accept my sincere apologies for the terrible service you received during your stay with us, staffing issues are something we as a business should be dealing with as and when they happen, they should NEVER impact on our guests and I apologise that they did on this occasion. I will certainly raise the issue with my Restaurant manager and also address the housekeeping and maintenance issues you mention with those departments too.

It is so disappointing to hear you did not enjoy your stay, I would like to just let you know that we do have a refurbishment programme in place and as I'm sure you can appreciate, it is an on-going process given the age of the building and fitting the works in and around our guests, who book well in advance, can sometimes be difficult.

I do hope you will allow me the opportunity of welcoming you back at some date in the very near future to see these improvements, and also allow me to personally oversee your stay with a view to ensuring it is a much more pleasant experience. Should you wish to contact the Hotel direct and speak with me, please feel free to do so.

Thank you for taking the time to give me your feedback and I do hope you won't give up on us and return to see us again soon.

There are newer reviews for Bay Tor Park Hotel

Reviewed 6 July 2014

just stayed at the tor park hotel in torquay, had a great week the staff were very pleasant the food was great we will be going back some time soon.
the entertainment was very good and the bar staff were excellant they could not do enough for you, and the dining room staff nothing was too much trouble elaine was brilliant

Room Tip: the room we had was on the first floor and it was very quite
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank 855john_

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with other 'Trip Advisor's' I'm so pleased to hear you had an enjoyable week with us and especially pleased that by the sound of it, the entire team were on hand to assist. Just as it should be ;-)

We look forward to having you back with us very soon and thank you once again for taking the time to share your experience.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Rhoda and myself have just returned from the tor park hotel via a shearings. One week coach holiday. What an incredible value for money experience. Lovely clean room good food and exceptional friendly and helpful staff. Special thanks to trina and fran in the bar and to Elaine who looked after us in the restaurant .thankyou les and Rhoda howard

Room Tip: Suggest a top floor room
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank f222les

Dear Mr & Mrs Howard,

What lovely feedback! Thank you so much for your comments, I'm so pleased to hear you both had an enjoyable stay with us. Please check out our website or latest brochures which contain late deals and special offers, (there are plenty more similar to the one you have just enjoyed).

We hope to see you again in the very near future and thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Had a lovely relaxing stay at Shearing's Tor Park Hotel , my friend and I stayed for an eight day holiday 7th to 15th June, we were unsure initially about this hotel as it is not seafront, but my! were we glad we chose it. Firstly although small , it was certainly the most friendly hotel I've ever been to, and that is down to the excellent staff they employ, a BIG well done to them all, especially our waitress Jane who served us each day with a smile and a chat no matter how busy the restaurant, I'm a non meat eater but there was always a tasty choice of meals. Four free drinks a day, and all branded drinks, always served with a smile and a giggle with Fran and Trina, nothing too much trouble for these staff, Robert the restaurant manager we met last year while staying at Torbay Hotel, but the change of hotel seems to have been a good move for him as he seemed very happy, and never without a smile, and a word, well done. Our room. no 21 was a large twin bedded with shower kept spotless, with constant daily clean towels, and only down half a dozen steps to dining room and bar, also served by lift.Entertainment for us was excellent as a first time visitor, bingo quiz's, and some very good cabaret, although some regular visitors did comment that, the entertainment did need changing as they saw the same acts each visit and they knew it word for word, probably the only negative comment on this hotel, but one that could be looked at, especially, as I will definitely be returning to this lovely, friendly Hotel, as you can't fail to have a great holiday, and relax, thanks to all the staff for their service and friendliness,and making our holiday special

Room Tip: room 21 was good with shower cubicle and close to lift and restaurant
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Beryl E

Dear Beryl, Firstly thank you so much for taking the time to go into such detail on your recent stay, it certainly gives the team a real boost when guests take time to mention them, especially by name. I am delighted to hear all was well during your stay with us and will take great pleasure in passing on such glowing feedback to all of the team. We very much look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to Torquay and I will have a little word with the entertainers to see if they can throw something in the mix, and confuse everyone ;-).

Thank you once again and I look forward to meeting you on your next stay.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

had a fantastic stay here for my birthday week 19th may to the 23rd very clean and lovely big family room, staff very friendly and helpful loved the bar staff fran and trina they were so helpful and friendly towards me and my children and the waitress elaine was very nice helpful and lovely to of met them all , food was nice would of been good if there was a different menu to order from ie scampi chips , and shepherds pie , but what i did eat was lovely , seemed a long way to town but it was in fact 20 mins so not bad there was buses to town from across the rd , entertainment was good too , hotel was very relaxing will be going back

Room Tip: my room was 66 and it was lovely good views very quiet at evening time
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank julie h
Aneta E, Manager at Bay Tor Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Dear Julie, Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your recent stay with us, I'm so pleased to hear you and your family had an enjoyable stay with us and the team will be absolutely delighted with such lovely feedback.

We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

the staff at this hotel go out of their way to make your holiday a great one. all very happy helpful and kind. smiling faces every where. I have to say the evening dinners are not great . but always served with a smile from Sharon or Jane or a young man whose name we did not manage to get. the bar staff are never without a smile our room was cleaned daily and lovely fresh towels whenever we needed them . the hotel is a little tired but very clean and fresh smelling. a great holiday meeting new friends on a happy coach driven by happy and helpful Garry . well done Shearings

Room Tip: no sea view so whichever seemed fine
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank travellinggirlsKent
Aneta E, Manager at Bay Tor Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear Guest,

On behalf of the entire team, I thank you so much for your comments. Its always nice to hear when our guests have appreciated the hard work the team put into making their stay as comfortable and relaxing as possible. They all do a fantastic job and they too will be over the moon with your comments.

I look forward to seeing you again in the very near future and thank you once again for taking the time to give us your feedback.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Firstly would like to thank all staff at the tor park hotel you done a smashing job so friendly , helpful , really really had a wonderful time special thanks to Elaine, Fran and Trina always service with a smile from all staff will stay again did not want to come home had such a great time hotel very clean food ok could not fault any of thing about the hotel or the holiday entertainment was good beds was comfy stayed in room 68 twin bedroom very cosy quiet and spotless enjoyed every minute of the holiday with shearings' , the hotel is close to the town centre and seafront not a far walk will come back again soon :)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Michelle, Thanks for taking the time to give us such glowing feedback and for sharing your experience with Trip Advisor readers. The ladies will be so pleased to hear of your comments and I will take great pleasure in relaying them to the team. I very much look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Steve Stott

Also consider these accommodations in or near Torquay
Bay Torbay Hotel
#10 of 87 in Torquay
The Headland Hotel
The Headland Hotel
#12 of 87 in Torquay

Been to Bay Tor Park Hotel? Share your experiences!