“You either love it or hate it”
Review of Bay Tor Park Hotel

Bay Tor Park Hotel
Ranked #25 of 88 Hotels in Torquay
Chaddesden Derby United Kingdom
“You either love it or hate it”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

This hotel is one of the Shearings destination hotels, and caters for the more senior holiday customers, mainly who are not interested in driving, or are unable to drive.
I was persuaded by my wife to take an eight day break, travel by coach and use the local bus services for the duration. The actual trip took to Torquay took over eight hours by coach, well saddle sore on arrival at the hotel, which is situated at the back of Torquay, on quite a hilly part, not good if you are unable to walk any distance, but fortunately served well by the local bus company.
Checking in at the hotel was seamless, but it was a little peculiar to go downstairs to our room, on the upside our luggage was delivered to our door very shortly after our arrival.
The room itself was very basic, not enough cupboards and drawers for our clothes, but adequate for the duration of our stay. The main problem was the heat in the room, the windows would not open more than six inches, due to stops screwed into the window frame, certainly not to stop anyone falling out, as we were on the ground floor - the heat made any quality sleep very difficult, neither of us slept under the bedclothes all week, just flopped out on top, perspiring gently. On the upside the towels were changed on a daily basis, and the room was kept spotlessly clean.
The only thing I can say about the restaurant food is that it was adequate, certainly nothing stood out, but it was well cooked, and served hot, although sometimes quite a long wait ensued, due to staff being somewhat thin on the ground, and unfortunately orders were mixed up quite frequently.
The evening entertainment was typical hotel fare - a game of bingo, a quiz and entertainers who we were told performed the same act week on week, I can't really comment on this, as we only watched one act the whole time.
The hotel staff, on the whole were very friendly and accommodating, and tried to please everyone, I must admit that one of the brighter moments that you were allocated four drinks per day, surprisingly of branded drinks, although a supplement had to be paid for some.
As I have noted before, this hotel is one of the Shearings hotels, and is ideal for people of a certain age or outlook, but personally I will pass on any further holidays of this type (perhaps in a few years I will reconsider)

Room Tip: Any room where you can open the widow and get some fresh air
4 Thank Colin E
Aneta E, Manager at Bay Tor Park Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Colin, Thank you for the feedback and for sharing your experience in such detail, you are correct in that travelling to our properties by coach is not to everyone's taste but we try to make our holidays as stress free as possible for our guests, whereby all they have to do is get to the coach and we do the rest. Most of our guests love it as they can just sit back and relax as their holiday begins the moment they board the coach, that and the all inclusive excursions provided in the package seem to go down very well with our guests. That said however, the ratio of coach and self-drive guests is probably 60/40% at this Hotel and even those who come by car prefer to use the excellent public transport we have on our doorstep, I'm glad to hear you too made good use of it.

I'm pleased that on the whole, you enjoyed your stay with us and I do hope it's not too long before you come and see us again, please feel free to come by car if the coach is not to your liking, we have ample car parking facilities and regularly have excellent special offers for self drive holidays too, check out our website for the latest deals and we hope to see you again real soon.

Steve Stott

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Stayed for 7 days and overall a very enjoyable time. Staff are all very friendly and helpful, and to name but a few, Steve, Robert, Elaine, Trina and Fran, who all helped to make our holiday very good.

The hotel in about a 20 minute slow walk downhill into Torquay and a 40 minute slow walk back up the hill again. But very frequent busses, number 12, just outside the hotel get you there in jig time.

Food was very good with a good range of choices, so well done Gavin. The hotel also caters for those with food intolerancies.

Standard room was a bit small but kept very clean by housekeeping. The shower was good. The miniscule TV seriously needs to be updated from a 1970 model to at least this centuary. It looks like an old Granada or Radio Rentals reject, so that's how old it looks. Beds are comfy and entertainment stops around 11pm, so sleep quality is good.

The weather was extremely hot during our visit and the room at night was like an oven. The window on ground floor, for security and safety purposes could only open about 6 inches, which was totally useless, and fans are no good as they just chase the hot air around.
I don't suppose it makes economic sense to instal air con for the amount of time it would be in use, but some solution to the heat in the rooms need to be addressed urgently.

Overall, this hotel is a typical 3 star establishment and probably will never be a 4 star, but staff, food, generous 4 free drinks per person per day, and considering what you actually pay, make this really good value for money.

Room Tip: Mind and bring your own shower gel, shampoo etc.
2 Thank scottyguy
Aneta E, Manager at Bay Tor Park Hotel, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear guest, Thanks so much for the detailed review and I am pleased that on the whole, we got most things right during your stay. I totally agree with you about the TV, I am pleased however to advise you that we are in the process of replacing the old TV's as quickly as we possibly can, it is taking time as I am sure you will appreciate given the cost of such a mammoth task for the number of Hotels in our group. We are working on it though and hopefully the next time you come visit, we will have a shiny new one in your room ;-)

Air Conditioning too unfortunately is very expensive but I am only too aware of how hot it's been of late and agree with you that fans are not always the ideal solution, we are looking into an alternative system for our public areas and hope to resolve the problem in time for the next heat wave... I'm not promising there will be one (a heat wave!), so don't hold me to that!

I will take pleasure in passing on your lovely comments to the team, and thank you again for your feedback. We very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

bolton
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Had a seven night stay here from 28/6/14 - 5/7/14. Food was good with reasonable choice although service was a bit slow' at breakfast the grapefruit and porridge could be with the cereals so you help yourself, and in the evening water and bread rolls could be on the table, thus making it easier for the staff,(all of which were friendly and helpful.

Overall the hotel is kept very clean and tidy throughout. Our bathroom was new, and the room was clean and comfortable, the only thing that spoiled it was the walls and woodwork in the bedroom could have done with a coat of paint.

In the evening there were three games of bingo then a short quiz followed by some excellent entertainment.

The hotel is about a 10minute down hill walk from the sea front, and the number 12 bus which runs about every 10mins stops outside.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ariek04
Aneta E, Manager at Bay Tor Park Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear Guest, I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us and thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others.

We hope to see you again in the very near future.

Cleethorpes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Staying for 7night with Shearing's, check in was swift, all staff very helpful.
Room is fine, but if I stayed again I'd ask for a room at the back, as in the summer months the rooms can get very hot, facilities very good, very handy for the buses to Torquay, then hop on any other bus to get to other areas.
The price we paid for this trip was very good plus 4 drinks every night, it's impossible for me to find any fault here.
Well done to all the staff for making it a lovely break.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Aneta E, Manager at Bay Tor Park Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear guest, thank you for your comments, I am so pleased to hear you had an enjoyable stay with us. It has been exceptionally hot these past few weeks, which rather took us by surprise to be honest! We have however invested in lots of fans in preparation for the next heat wave, should we have one!

Be sure to keep an eye out for the latest deals on our website and in the national press, as we often have late deals and similar packages to the one you've just enjoyed and we would love to welcoming you back again in the very near future.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Southern England
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We recently had a short break at the Tor Park - our first visit to that particular Shearings hotel, as on our many previous visits to Torquay, we've stayed at the Torbay.

As other contributors have mentioned, this hotel is at the top end of the town, with about a twenty minute walk to the seafront. It's also well served by the number 12 bus, which stops just across the road from the hotel.

Our room was comfortable and on the ground floor. Our only small criticism would be the state of the window frames, which were very dirty and mouldy. (Pictures uploaded.) Maybe attention to window frames in general could be put on the maintenance staff's "to do" list.

Danni, who served us in the dining room was brilliant. She was rushed off her feet, but remained cheerful and helpful throughout, although the restaurant seemed to be short staffed. Maybe one more member of staff in the dining room would take the pressure off the other waiters/waitresses, thus making service a little quicker. The food was fine for us, with mostly a good choice.

Trina and Fran who served behind the bar, coped cheerfully and were good fun.

We enjoyed the entertainment, especially Steve Davis with all his stringed instruments. Ricky Tempo was also excellent. Both men were talented entertainers. We didn't stay to hear the comedian, but we had heard him before.

To summarise, this was an enjoyable break. The staff were all helpful and cheerful and the Tor Park seemed generally more friendly than the larger hotels.

4 Thank RainbowDays
Aneta E, Manager at Bay Tor Park Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback, all feedback is invaluable to us and I for one really appreciate your comments. The window frame you mentioned is now on the Maintenance team's 'To Do' list and will be dealt with as a matter of urgency, thank you for bringing it to my attention. The room itself is on the next stage of our refurbishment programme due to take place in November, so hopefully you can come back and see the improvements on your next visit to Torquay.

Thank you again for sharing your views and we very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Northwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We spent a great week at the Tor Park, arriving June 28th - our seventh visit. The hotel is situated in a quiet location at the top-end of Torquay - a 20 minute downhill walk to the sea front, but buses stop right outside the hotel and are very frequent.

Our room was clean and perfectly suitable for our needs. The food in the restaurant was good, though there were some delays in service despite the efforts of the waiting staff who were cheerful and helpful at all times. It might be a good idea to have carafes of water on all tables before guests sit down to eat - instead of having to send the waiter running off to the kitchen for a jug.

The reception staff were always friendly and helpful..even at the busiest times and there seemed to be a general feeling of cheerfulness amongst all staff.

Special mention must be made of Fran and Trina who run the bar so efficiently. Well done ladies!

The entertainment was good - particularly the comedian - and l must say that we enjoyed very good company!

Of course it is possible to nit-pick....but we had a great week...top-value holiday.

Room Tip: Room 61 is on the ground floor and was nice and quiet.
Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alf D
Aneta E, Manager at Bay Tor Park Hotel, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear guest,

We must present you with some kind of loyalty award ;-) Seriously thank you for the lovely feedback and I'm pleased to hear your 7th visit was as enjoyable as your previous visits. I appreciate your comments and will definitely take on board your suggestion re the water jugs. The team will be equally delighted with such glowing comments and we very much look forward to your next visit.

Newcastle
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We have just returned from The Tor Park Hotel booked through Shearing Self Drive holiday. The hotel is on the outskirts of the town. A bus stop very nearby was excellent for travelling into Torquay or further afield, we used this service every day to visit different parts of Devon. The hotel itself could ro with refurbishment especially the bathroom in our bedroom, which had wallpaper coming off the walls, no wall bracket for the mixer tap shower and the window frames were very dirty. The staff were all excellent but the poor dining room staff I felt sorry for, they were desperately short staffed and literaly ran around all the time, our last two meals we waited 30mins before we were even asked what our order was, the last morning we waited 45mins for our cup of teas to arrive, I feel the Manager should employ more staff as we were certainly put off and would not return (I must point out it was not the waiting staff at fault and they did keep apologising)
. We stayed at the Royal Hotel in Whitby 3 weeks ago and the service because of being well staffed could not be faulted although that also needed a refurbishment. We have always found Shearings although not cheap to be worth the cost but feel they should start spending some money on their Hotels as it is very off putting.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room if there are any.
3 Thank patsy22Newcastle
Aneta E, Manager at Bay Tor Park Hotel, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear guest,

Firstly please accept my sincere apologies for the terrible service you received during your stay with us, staffing issues are something we as a business should be dealing with as and when they happen, they should NEVER impact on our guests and I apologise that they did on this occasion. I will certainly raise the issue with my Restaurant manager and also address the housekeeping and maintenance issues you mention with those departments too.

It is so disappointing to hear you did not enjoy your stay, I would like to just let you know that we do have a refurbishment programme in place and as I'm sure you can appreciate, it is an on-going process given the age of the building and fitting the works in and around our guests, who book well in advance, can sometimes be difficult.

I do hope you will allow me the opportunity of welcoming you back at some date in the very near future to see these improvements, and also allow me to personally oversee your stay with a view to ensuring it is a much more pleasant experience. Should you wish to contact the Hotel direct and speak with me, please feel free to do so.

Thank you for taking the time to give me your feedback and I do hope you won't give up on us and return to see us again soon.

Steve Stott
Also consider these accommodations in or near Torquay
Bay Torbay Hotel
Rainbow International Hotel
TLH Carlton Hotel
TLH Carlton Hotel
#26 of 88 in Torquay

Been to Bay Tor Park Hotel? Share your experiences!