“Wouldn't stay again!”

Ranked #32 of 89 Hotels in Torquay
Chepstow, United Kingdom
“Wouldn't stay again!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

Only booked this hotel as was good value for money and had free parking, Upon arrival we had the last parking space, were greeted by a friendly character (can't quite remember his name) he checked us in and have directions to our room. Room was exactly as described (compact double) the t.v had no controller and when we changed channel over if would switch to DVD mode instead so gave up on that idea, when we asked the owner about this he gave some half handed excuse about the controller going in the laundry and that the t.v would work fine if we used manual buttons. Walls paper thin, had banging at 8:30am no excuse as to why or an apology, 2nd night the hotel was too full to supply enough parking for patrons so had to leave the car in some back alley over night. Waiter was rude when we asked if still doing breakfast was told that "at 10:15am it's classed as brunch, so no they were not" upon leaving handed the keys in to (assuming) waiter and had no "thank you for your stay" or "please come back again"

1 Thank CassM88
ji16480, Manager at Nethway Hotel, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and I am pleased to see that you booked us because we are such good value for money and the room/hotel was as you expected for what you paid. It is also great to see that you found the welcome to be friendly.

Yes, unfortunately, tv remotes do tend to go missing which is annoying for us and you. This is something we are looking into currently

I am sorry that you found the parking not up to your expectations. We have a good size car park which holds a good number of cars (a lot more than a lot of hotels in Torquay) on a first-come-first served basis. We do not advertise unlimited parking. The roads around the hotel are residential with non-restricted parking and are certainly not the "back alley" type.

I am sorry you felt our waiter was rude to you and this would certainly not be his intention and you will see from previous reviews that a lot of people take their time to mention him and his jolly manner. Our breakfast time finishes at 09.45am and so unfortunately would not have been available at 10.15am. I am unsure as to why there was banging at 8.30am in the morning as you were in a room with no one above or next to you? I will try and find out what was happening at this time, but unfortunately could not have apologised to you at the time because we didn't know about it?

Once again, thank you for your comments which we will take on board.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

Am currently staying in the Nethway Hotel and have noticed the negative reviews on this site regarding ice. I would just like to point out that the owners did nothing wrong especially considering the fact that the people involved were drinking their own spirits in the hotels function room. I have never experienced a problem at this hotel and would hate for people to be put off by comments that are not even given in the relevant context.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PepperPot2014
Coventry, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

Extremely rude and obnoxious owner, who charges you for frozen water (ice).

To my horror I witnessed the owner attempt to embarrass his customers in front of other guests.

Minimal parking spaces available.

Toilet sink situated not in the bathroom but in my BEDROOM???

Overall a disturbing experience in which I would strongly recommend future guests to consider alternative options.

5 Thank Richpcos
ji16480, Manager at Nethway Hotel, responded to this review, 20 April 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel whilst you are still staying here. I note that you are a member of the party who asked us for four empty glasses with ice so that you could consume your own drinks. I am sorry that you didn't like that we turned down this request for you to do this and as I said in the previous response, I don't think even the Premier Inn would allow you to consume your own drinks and provide you with glasses, etc, when they have a licensed bar. We did say that you were welcome to have your own drinks in your bedroom though.

Its great to see though that you are still with us for a further day and that your car is parked in our car park.
Coventry
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

Came to this hotel yesterday, the owner and his wife answered the door. I commented on the SMALL amount of parking spaces the owner rudely answered "it's more than enough". We haven't encountered him since until tonight (yes I am currently in my room writing this) I asked him for a glass with ice to have my pop with.. Hr RUDELY started shouting at me and my partner in front of his regulars... Telling me I would have to pay for the glass and Ice like premier inn (no need to flatter yourself mr owner I pray I'm in a premier inn) after a ten minute lecture he gave me the glass then my mother paid him for the glass of ice (which he gladly took) maybe this could be towards a new cleaner bathroom?? Ps the lady owner was lovely. Please sort out your customer service and cleanliness. CHEERS.. Do not come here pay a bit more

5 Thank Stacedonna92
ji16480, Manager at Nethway Hotel, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Unfortunately this is the downside of Tripadvisor, which can usually be an amazingly useful tool for genuine holidaymakers and hoteliers. We use reviews of our hotel, both good and bad, to improve our guest experience and feel we run a good value warm and friendly establishment. Reviews like this are not helpful to anyone and are sadly down to pure nastiness. Sorry, but we are not prepared to allow anyone to take advantage of the relaxed environment (as in this case by supplying glasses and ice so that someone can consume their own drinks in our function room) just so that we are blackmailed into not getting bad reviews. As a longstanding hotelier, I do feel that this is unfortunately what this site is now breeding and it is so sad. I, will therefore, repeat myself and answer this review honestly as I have the other two from this group as follows:-

As per my previous responses to your group reviews, unfortunately we do not supply glasses and ice for own alcohol consumption in our function room. Also, I can categorically state that no one rudely told you that there was more than enough parking on arrival, no one shouted at you and your partner in the bar (backed up by all the guests present in the bar) and no money was taken from your mother for ice. We are pleased to see that your "negative" views of our hotel didn't deter you from completing the remainder of your stay with us.
Coventry, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

Disgusting customer service. Asked for glass and ice and rude owner told us that if we stayed at the premiere inn we would have to pay for this.... In front of all the guests sitting in the bar. No real parking facilities, basic rooms, that's ok but do expect a bit of courtesy to paying guests. Would recommend you stay at the premiere inn.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Sue C
ji16480, Manager at Nethway Hotel, responded to this review, 20 April 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel whilst you are still staying with us. I am sorry that you were unhappy that we were not prepared to give you four emply glasses with ice so that you could consume your own drinks in our function room. I really don't think any establishment with a licensed bar, not even the Premier Inn, would be prepared to do that. I am pleased to see that you have been happy to continue your stay with us though and that you have managed to park your car at all times in the hotel car park.
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here 5 years ago and decided to return for a weekend break,Dave and Jo were just starting to develop the hotel on our first visit and we were very impressed with what they have achieved since then.We enjoyed our first break here but found a lot of improvements and upgrades had been made throughout the hotel since then,our room was really nice with a good sea view, well decorated and very clean as was the hotel in general.This was complimented by the friendly owners and their staff.Will try not to leave it so long to return next time.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 145juliec145
warwickshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

we had a really warm welcome from Dave and the staff. The room was clean and the bed really comfortable.The food was excellent and plenty of it! the entertainment was great and Colin the waiter made the holiday even more enjoyable with his friendly banter.Overall a really nice place to stay and we would not hesitate to return

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple