“Grim”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Torquay
Parkdean - Torquay Holiday Park
“Grim”
Reviewed 1 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed in the October half term in the apartments overlooking the park. Apartment block was dirty and smelly, the apartment itself was horrible. Mouldy walls, filthy carpets and a grubby oven, wanted to spend as little time in it as possible. Entertainment was an experience, burly bouncer checking prams for people sneaking in alcohol I presume. Poor soft play area, cold swimming pool and the jacuzzi was not any warmer. I really can't give it any positive comments.

Stayed October 2013
3 Thank MeMeBre

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We decided on Torquay, because we've never be before, we will never go to parmesan again.
The caravan was dirty damp and mouldy.
I am disabled, and I had to inn three flights of steps to get to the exit and all the facilities.
Curtains were wet and there we're no cleaning tools just a broom and dustpan and brush, I had to buy my own washing up items.
I would not recommend this caravan park to anyone.

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank babdav
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I booked this at last minute, as we usually stay in a Haven caravan park during October half term (and what I book usually has double glazing and full central heating). This caravan had neither and not having read the reviews on here until I had booked, we set off with a certain degree of trepidation.

Firstly - do what they say and follow the instructions on the website - don't use Sat Nav as this will take you either around the back lanes / or to completely the wrong destination. There is a tool on the website which allows you to enter your home postcode and this give you exact directions to the park.

Secondly - take your walking boots. The park is exceptionally hilly and some of the caravans (including the one that we were in) are set at the bottom of a very steep hill. This is badly lit and exceptionally slippery when you are trying to guide two young children down it in the dark.

Our caravan was small for the four of us - but no different to what I was expecting. In contrast though to some reviews on here , it was exceptionally clean and had everything that we required. The beds were made up on arrival and closer inspection didn't unearth any nasty surprises.

There is though limited car parking next to some of the caravans - and it meant leaving the car in a communal car park with very few spaces as the car park was narrow and most people were unable to park properly hence using two spaces. The newer caravans/those closer to the entertainment seemed to have car parking spaces but i think these could be quite noisy- especially in high summer.

Facilities wise - we didn't eat on the park/use the shop/kids clubs so I couldn't comment on any of those. The pool was better then I was expecting and cleaner considering the amount of rain - again though I think in high summer this could be very crowded as they don't have an outside pool and it's not the biggest. Also - they didn't seem to have an extra water activities like the Haven parks.

There was a nice children's playground which would have been lovely had the weather been nicer.

The evening entertainment was no different to any other caravan park that we have been to - but I would agree with other reviewers that it is very loud - we could hear it from our caravan.

Overall - if you are expecting the savoy then don't go,I think I would be especially inclined to stay away from the apartments as they didn't look particularly pleasant. It's not haven - but they are not trying to be. It's a good base to see the area - as most of the major attractions are nearby.

• Stayed October 2013
Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

Staff on arrival were very helpful, park was nice but quiet hilly, so I was glad we were near the top. Caravan was nice and roomy and clean. Boiler did fail one evening but staff came to sort it out very quickly so wasn't too much of a problem. Club was ok and entertainment was good. Breakfast was included in the cost of the holiday and was also good. Overall the holiday was great apart from the rain, we really enjoyed this park. The staff are so friendly and helpful. Thankyou again for an enjoyable holiday Parkdean :)

Stayed October 2013
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Have just returned one day early from a one week stay at Parkdean Torquay.
My first impressions of the site were good, this was were and reinforced by the real friendly and efficient welcome.
We stayed in The Riviera Caravan which to be fair was very close to the excellent amenities, i.e. Club, Arcade, Pool ,shop and ample parking, generally the site was nicely kept and clean.
Then we entered the caravan, and noticed stains on all the carpets ,wall paper pulled off in the bedrooms and damaged towel heater in the tiny shower room/toilet,and general poorly maintained.
I put my hand on one of the shelves in the kitchen, and was horrified to find a layer of greasy dust, which we found on all the flat surfaces throughout the van .We decided that if this was the standard of the cleaners, then we would prefer to clean it to our own standard, rather than run the risk of being moved to a less convenient van.
Over the next six nights we tried each bed in the van, two doubles and two singles, as the week progressed we felt less likely to complain due to our holiday coming closer to an end .
Eventually we decided to leave early, due to my suffering severe back ache, and both my wife and I unable to sleep on the most uncomfortable beds. I realise and was informed on departure
that had we complained then we would possible been offered another van.
I feel that It these vans were inspected regularly, properly cleaned and maintained, and more attention paid to the bed situation, the holiday would have been much more enjoyable.
I can only reiterate that The staff in general were excellent, as was the service, but I would suggest that the cleaning and maintainence staff may, be either under staffed or under budgeted.
I would suggest that a good team are being let down by management. I would stay here again but would not settle for what we settle this time. Well done staff, Management wake up and support your staff before you lose them and many more customers.

Room Tip: Try beds before bedtime.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank timnash
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Stayed here as part of newspaper promotion but also paid (£21 a night) to upgrade the caravan. The caravan allocated was at the lowest point of the site which meant a stiff uphill hike to go to any of the facilities. The caravan didn't meet expectations and when this was queried, I was advised that the upgrade covered a hairdryer, heating in the lounge (wouldn't ignite) and heating to the bedroom (didn't work) - a real rip off. Restaurant looked like a works canteen and had a limited menu as did the carry out in the main building. On a positive note the facilities for young children were very good. Also the staff were helpful but not overly concerned with feedback about the caravan. Not at all handy for Torquay which I measured as 4 miles to the seafront. Having travelled from Glasgow and being so disappointed, we left a day early and spent a much more enjoyable time in a caravan in the Cotswolds. (see separate review)

Room Tip: Avoid being allocated a caravan at the bottom of the site.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank klondykekenny
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2013

The only nice thing about this park was the way out. The restaurant was filthy and when our meals were brought out we had to ask for the table to be wiped clean of food! The chap then asked what part of the table needed wiping..to make matters worse he then squirted cleaning fluid over table and food!
We were given a apartment that looked like it was the set of Hi di hi,filthy.We then moved to a caravan that was cold,damp and had dead bugs on the ceiling,no hot water in shower,seats smelt of pee, dirty bedding from last occupants left outside all week! Plus several bites! Needless to say we left the pool alone. List is endless.

I'm not really a complaining type of person,but this was disgusting beyond words,I'm a biker and used to roughing it ,but this experience was something else!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple