“Very,very good B&B” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #66 of 153 Torquay B&B and Inns
Nottingham
“Very,very good B&B”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013

We stayed for 2 nights during our touring hols and were left wanting more. Beautifully appointed rooms which are decorated to a high standard, quality toiletries and fluffy towels. Large comfortable sitting room, conservatory and lovely gardens all make for a relaxing stay.
Wide choice for breakfast and again quality ingredients cooked just right!
Our hosts are delightful people, friendly, welcoming and helpful. We shall be back.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Cheshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

We stayed a couple of nights whilst attending a family wedding. Well positioned in the leafy suburbs of Torquay with handy car parking spaces. Trafalgar House is beautifully maintained and our room was spotless. We had a room overlooking the road which was fine and well appointed - possibly a little on the small side but certainly adequate. There will probably be bigger rooms and rooms with nicer views over the garden but that didn't detract from our stay. Breakfast was excellent with one of the best selections of fruit that we have seen and orange which was freshly squeezed. Graham and Barbara were attentive and went the extra mile to help ensure that our stay was right in every respect with Barbara even providing a lift in her car to the wedding venue as it was raining - very much appreciated.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2013

Only stayed here because I had an Amazon Local deal voucher and the reviews on here made the place appear in the top 5 b&b’s in Torquay at the time of booking. It was for our wedding anniversary and was going to be for 2 nights, but had previously arranged to extend our stay to 4 nights. Was looking forward to the afternoon tea and ‘hamper’ as advertised. The afternoon tea was very nice with the home made cakes and sandwiches, however the ‘hamper’ turned out just to be a small wicker basket on the chest of drawers in the room containing 2 packets of crisps, 2 small packets of biscuits, 2 oranges, 1 packet of peanuts and 1 bottle of mineral water between 2!! How much would another bottle cost? 50/60p? While we didn’t expect things like the crisps or oranges to be replaced once we ate them, I have never stayed in a b&b where biscuits are not replaced daily.

The breakfast was quite nice, but not filling. No beans with it. I assume I would have to have asked for them, but I’ve always had them as ‘standard’ with a breakfast, never as an ‘optional’ extra! I also don’t particularly like the idea of just finding an empty table to sit at in the morning and not having one allocated for all your stay. Maybe it’s just me?

We stayed in the four-poster room, which although it was clean & tidy, I have to say would best be described as ‘compact’. I managed to squeeze by the side next to the wall every night to get into bed. The room was also quite cold as the windows, which seemed to be the original sash windows, let cold air in even though they were shut tight and the radiator was on the warmest setting, although the heating was never very hot anyway. There was only a blind to pull down on the windows, which did not make a lot of difference to the draught coming in or the temperature of the room. Had a battle with the cupboard door every day that often refused to close properly. And the hangers were awkward to get to as the rail went from front to back and not across the cupboard.

There is no folder in the room advising you about details of the place you are staying in or the surrounding area. There is also no plan of escape on the back of the bedroom door in case of emergencies, nor are there any fire exit signs on the exit doors. (But being a fire warden for my company I tend to notice these things).

However, Barbara & Graham were very friendly, especially when helping us dry out our very wet coats after being caught in a storm.

Overall, it was quite nice, but we’ve been there now and there are a lot of other hotels in Torquay to try when we go next time.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the four poster room, especially when its cold weather outside.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank freedy50
Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013

I'm writing this sipping a cup of freshly grounded coffee chilling out on a quiet, peaceful terrace, sun beaming on my face. Just had an quality farm house fry up after sleeping in a bed I really didn't want to get out of. I stayed here as had a gig DJing in Torquay last night and my honest opinion of this place is I really cant fault it. The customer service from Graham and Barbara is really good, friendly, genuine people that truly go out of their way to make you feel welcome....so much so this is the first time I have written a review, can't normally be bothered but I thought these guys deserve some kind words. The room was spotless, they really focus on a attention to detail with prepping the room for you.....when you stay here you will know what I mean. In a nutshell peeps I'll probably be staying here every time I play in Torquay from now on - thanks for such a nice stay.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

I was delighted with this B&B for several reasons. Firstly the friendliness of the hosts. Barbara and Graham went out of their way to be helpful, attentive and welcoming. When we arrived, Graham provided a detailed explanation of how the external doors locked and unlocked to ensure we remained safe and secure during our stay. The decor of the B&B was excellent, bright, fresh and with pictures by local artist Deborah Treliving (workshop at local Cockington Court), which were stunning.
Breakfasts were delicious and fresh with fresh orange juice, fresh fruit, cereals, a choice of pastries, ham and cheese or a cooked breakfast with refills of toast and tea/coffee freely available. The car park was just outside the side door, which was very convenient. The location, although in a neighbourhood with several other B&Bs or hotels, was quiet and relaxed - and within jogging distance of the seafront!!. We had a view onto Trafalgar House's lovely garden and heard the birdsong through our window each morning. We had room six, as a twin but it can be set up as a double/ kingsize too. The room was spacious, bright, airy, clean and comfortable with Deborah Treliving pictures. The bathroom was small but clean, modern and well maintained (one minor point - more power in the shower would have been good, nevertheless it still performed perfectly well).
All in all, this was an excellent B&B for our four days. I stayed with my elderly mum who loved it. The hosts could not have been better and the house met all our requirements.

Room Tip: We had room 6 overlooking the garden which was lovely - birdsong and garden view
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Atlanta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

We were the only ones staying at this B&B when we were in Torquay, and Graham and Barbara took the opportunity to take some day trips away, so we had the run of the place. We loved our room which had two big windows and overlooked the hillside. The neighborhood was pretty and reminded us of the coast of Italy. There were palm trees outside our window! Graham prepared a delicious cooked breakfast after we sampled the serve-yourself continental b'fast. The B&B was really appropriate for a seaside resort. No Fawlty Towers here!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

I recently stayed at Trafalgar House in Torquay with my girlfriend. I had noticed on an Amazon Local Deals offer that there was a 2 night stay offered at the B&B for the tidy sum of £99. This deal included a double bed room along with an offering of afternoon tea. I thought to myself 'This sounds like a splendid offer of which I think I should avail.' I booked the voucher and then called up in order to secure a bedroom during April, as the deal was only available until the end of that month. When I made the phone call to organise the room I decided I would go for a Saturday and Sunday night as it would probably be more likely that the offer on hand would be available on a Sunday rather than Friday night. I rang Graham and he answered the phone in a chirpy manner but told me that he could not give me a double room on either of two weekends that I had laid out for my arrival. Instead he would have to charge me a supplement for the two nights that would add another £40-£60 pounds on what was already essentially £100. I had a feeling that this was a bit of a dishonest move considering that it was not exactly peek season in Torquay and that I had actually called a month in advance. As already mentioned I also stated that although Saturday may have been busy, Sunday certainly would not be too hectic, I presumed. After Graham realised I wouldn't be able to go later in the month he wrangled me into agreeing to pay the supplement. I checked the availability of rooms on the Amazon offer on the B&B's website and thought that I smelt a rat. The double rooms on the voucher deal were still available so I thought Graham was trying to pull a fast one having probably not made enough sweet pennies for himself at an off peak time of year. I left it at that until we arrived a month later.
The weekend eventually came for our trip to Torbay and off we went on a five hour journey. Upon arrival we were shown a few amenities in the area on a map and brought to our room. The supposed 'Master Bedroom' now the room was freezing when we arrived and we were assured that the heating would be put on and the room would heat up. It did, but I wouldn't say it was scorching hot even though the rad was left on all day. We also wanted to avail of or afternoon tea as soon as possible in order to take advantage of what Torquay had to offer on what could be described as a monsoon season afternoon. Unfortunately it was our host who decided when we would have the Tea, 2 hours after we arrived, so we did not complain or mention that the room was cold. Graham also made a sheepish remark about having to pay the supplement but didn't take it off me when we arrived. I thought this strange as I have always paid any extra remuneration requested of me upon arrival to any accommodation that I have ever stayed in. I thought Graham probably felt a bit guilty over screwing me and didn't want to pursue it much further. I mean the room we got was nice but it was no master bedroom, and if you are staying do not attempt to pay for any larger rooms as the smaller ones are actually nicer and better value for money. The bed upon which we slept was just two single beds pushed together with a bit of cloth cover tied over the divide between the two single mattresses.
That was fine we slept there the first night and after we woke up I walked into the hall to realise the bedroom beside our 'Master' was indeed empty and had not been vacated the night before, after I noticed this I realised Graham wasn't the genteel loveable host that most of these reviews would allude to but in fact a money hungry penny pincher who would go back on a deal he was sorry he involved himself in (Amazon).
I was not very impressed by this and thought I definitely shouldn't have to pay another £60 for something I didn't want in the first place. I also knew that both nights the B&B was not at full capacity so I was being had. I will give it to G and B the breakfast was good, but the way people were complementing them as the best breakfast they had ever had was subjective, arbitrary and certainly unwarranted. At this stage I didn't actually think that Graham and Bab's were going to have the nerve to ask for the supplement as I assumed they realised they had tried to be unfair and dishonest. We stayed the second night and arose the next morning in order to once again head downstairs for breakfast. We were told that breakfast was served until 9:30 am and we arrived downstairs at 9:25 am. This may have been a bit late but I didn't realise that this was such a breach of Trafalgar Houses confined etiquette. After breakfast we went back upstairs and packed our bags and cleaned up the room and made sure everything was neat and tidy as we would want to be treated in our own home. I had mentioned to my girlfriend that I was going to state that I didn't think I should have to pay the extra money.
I met Graham at the bottom of the stairs on the Monday morning to give back the keys and say thank you for our stay as I am still a polite chap with some manners. He said 'Oh yes, we have to square up the money you owe.' I told him that I didn't think I should have to pay the extra money as the B&B had not been fully booked, the bedroom we were given was a twin with two bed pushed together and that I thought it was unfair to have to pay extra for something I didn't necessarily want. It was at this stage that things turned nasty. Barbara came whizzing out of the kitchen like a rabid terrier, she was feisty and snarled with discontent. Her temper and true nature really came out and the two stood together to try and intimidate me and guilt me into paying the money. Now I never said I wasn't going to pay. If you read back you will realise that I stated many times I thought I shouldn't have to pay not that I refused point blank. Graham and Barbara decided to take on the persona of the angry parents and told me how this was 'terrible bad form','if they had know this I wouldn't have been ALLOWED to stay', 'How the room was worth £115 per night' which is a blatant lie as it is priced at £75 per night on-line. Barbara told us how we had come down late for breakfast and had 'delayed her', god knows how important the tasks Bab's must accomplish each day must be. Sorry to have been such an inconvenience. Graham then decided to stick in the knife and say 'Well you owe £60 so are you going to pay or do I have to go outside to get your misses to stump up the cash'. I thought that this was unnecessary addition to what had become an extremely tense atmosphere created by two penny pinching senior citizens and one dissatisfied customer. I had really rubbed them up the wrong way and they were showing there true colours, customer service was gone out the window and there was a parent-child dynamic being bestowed upon the writer. I said 'Ok I will pay the money, if you need it that bad.' Graham then growled at me that he couldn't believe I was starting and argument and mentioned once more how this was 'terrible bad form'. I said 'You two are the only ones arguing not I. I was calm and didn't really care I was just giving my feedback. One way out the door Graham shouted 'Thank You!' In what could only be described as the sardonic shriek of an old miser. That was my experience, don't be fooled by all of these reviews if you have plenty of money and your middle aged or older this is probably the place for you, otherwise I would steer clear of this faux happy couple who do things there way.

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple