“Shake up needed!”

Ranked #55 of 88 Hotels in Torquay
Warrington, United Kingdom
“Shake up needed!”
Reviewed 23 October 2012

Regularly travel with Alfa, to their Leisureplex hotels, we're a group of 12/14.
Issues on arrival with luggage going to wrong rooms, I waited so long that I went back to Reception and carried my own case back to my room.
Down to dinner and my first 'spat' with the restaurant manager but wasn't surprised having read previous reviews before my holiday.
This place is so short staffed - restaurant team were run off their feet, one barman on duty (the hotel was full) the bar had to be closed whilst he called the bingo resulting in some guests leaving and taking their custom to the nearby pub!
The best bit - 3 times we contacted Reception to ask them to book our next group holiday with Alfa and 3 times we told the computer system 'was down', on the Saturday morning I asked the receptionist to ring Alfa and make the booking (approx £2000 in total) only to be told there wasn't anybody at head office, wrong answer!! I took the trouble to phone Alfa myself a little later, reported this problem/attitude and placed our booking.
Departure day, no sign of the General Manager, in fact didn't see him all week, Assistant Manager was busy in the kitchen covering for the absent chef and the duty receptionist was busy dealing with yet another complaint. Therefore nobody available to bid us farewell and safe journey home which is the customary procedure!
Yes, I know they are only 2 star hotels but this one is in need of a shake up, as with most of the Leisureplex hotels they are somewhat dated/tired in the decor, this one does have obnoxious smells in parts, the lift is a constant problem, not good as the clientele are predominantly the elderly/infirm and finally the admin team need bringing up to speed!

Room Tip: If you have mobility problems, try another hotel!
7 Thank smf2109

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2012

I went to the Regina Hotel with Alfa travel on the 17th October for 4 nights.I must say that my experiences were better than many on this site.At least the lift was working and I would suggest that those who stayed there when it was out of order should ask for some compensation as no warning was given.Most of Alfa`s clientele are elderly people who would certainly not choose a hotel without a lift so they should be compensated.Many of the other points I read were true.The service in the restaurant was very quick and efficient but I dont particularly want my plate snatching from under my nose the minute I put my knife and fork down.On the other hand I dont like waiting around either so I suppose you cant please everybody all the time.The waiting staff seemed to me to be under pressure and ran about furiously.Therefore they had no time for the chit chat which is so pleasing on holiday but I`m sure that wasn`t their fault.As to the bedrooms mine was O.K as I had sole occupancy of a twin room but my friend had a single room which was awful.The decor was dingy and in sore need of refurbishment but the rooms were very well serviced every day with lovely clean,fluffy towels provided.The manager and the reception staff were pleasant and helpful.I would like to say a little about the service provided by Alfa travel.Some of the drivers(I`m sure not all)seem to have the attitude that all their passengers are senile and will put up with anything.The driver on our coach did offer to provide hot drinks at a very reasonable price but after giving us a talk about the dangers of having hot drinks while on the move then proceeded to set off as soon as we had our drinks regardless of the fact that we had no time to drink them.We only bought one on the first day because we spotted him wiping the spoons with an indescribably filthy cloth which he used every day.I sniffed at the cloth and the aroma was very close to urine.He never emptied the rubbish bag or cleaned the coach till the return journey and his attitude was one of resentment that he had to be there at all.It didn`t help that the wing mirror of the coach was smashed in a side swipe collision with a wagon going the other way on the first day..I have to wonder if coach drivers have to undergo a medical.I ask this because many of them seem to be overweight and smoke like chimneys.The one on our trip `s breathing was so bad he was gasping when making announcements and could be heard loudly even when just driving.

Having said all this it was a very cheap holiday and you do get what you pay for in this life.I think in future I shall pay a bit more.I did meet some very nice people however but I do think Alfa should raise its standards somewhat.I especially advise them to do a quality check on the health of its drivers before some appalling accident happens

8 Thank val-edson1
Whitstable, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2012

Just back from a weekend at the Regina with Alfa Travel - read the reviews before we left and we were expecting the worst. Well all I can say whats all the fuss about, we had a good weekend - the staff were excellent - the food was good - the location of the hotel is in an excellent position - ok the hotel is looking tired especially the bedrooms at the back - bit grim decor wise - but bed linen was clean, always fresh clean towels everyday. We found it good value for the money that we paid. If you want four star accommodation then you have to pay for it...

Room Tip: Best rooms overlooking the harbout
2 Thank janet s
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 October 2012

Firstly, I have just read graeme m's review and I have to say he is spot on. Well done graeme for saying exactly as it is. I know how you feel.
What a truly dreadful holiday we had with Alfa Travel and the Regina Hotel. For the people who praise the Regina all I can say is -- Where have you stayed before. You need to get out more.
As for people who praise Alfa - Wait till you see Alfa's response when things go wrong.

We boarded the coach at Burtonwood Interchange. A relatively new coach with toilet. Ten minutes after we set off the driver announced that " this coach is not allowed to go to Torquay(WHY?) and we will be changing at the services on the M5" . That wasn't mentioned in the literature from Alfa. To meet the other coach ( much older and no toilet) we had to come back up the M5, change coaches, continue back North to the next junction so that we could head south again. In very heavy traffic this added considerable time to our journey.

However this was a relatively minor problem compared with what was to come. The Regina is in a good position by the harbour on relatively flat ground. Thats the good news. It is a truly awful hotel with a the most ignorant,arrogant and rude Manager I have encountered.
We arrived on the 25th August and we told that the lift was out of order and that they did not know when it would be fixed. The vast majority of Alfa's clients are elderly, infirm or have mobility problems. To see so many people struggle all week up and down several flights of stairs is heartbreaking.I notice from the reviews that Alfa are still sending clients to this hotel over a month
later knowing that the lift is still not working. Shame on you Alfa.

The lounge area is fresh and but the rest of the hotel is dire. The warren of corridors are poorly decorated with wallpaper missing in several places. The room was small with barely enough room to get round the bed. You had to go up a step to the bathroom which was grim and had a saniflo type loo which for no apparent reason would suddenly start up like a compressor. Not pleasant in the middle of the night. Television did not work . Cobwebs everywhere. The standard of decoration was also poor. All in all it was not a room you would want to relax in. The only outside seating area is the so called sun terrace overlooking the marina. What a mess! Slimy and very slippy decking, filthy seats, cigarette ends everywhere and plant pots full of rubbish.

The dining room experience is something else. As graeme m stated in his review the dining room Manager is rude and full of his own self importance. Expect to be chastised if you are slightly early or late . A pompous little man who has no idea how to treat guests.
The food is OK if you like school dinners. The tablecloth was filthy and not changed all week. We all like to be served promptly but we felt rushed. As soon as we had completed one course the next was sitting in front off us. A little time between courses is much better. Our waiter was new and tried his best but was also chastised in front of us if he got something wrong. We had requested a 9am breakfast. "Not possible" we were informed. Come on- 9am is hardly late when you are on holiday for goodness sake.

I constantly registered my complaints to the manager and the response was always the same. A smug grin, a sarcastic comment and shrug of the shoulders. How people can praise this man is beyond me!! . On Tuesday he disappeared and we were told he was on holiday. We never saw him again. The only point of contact from then on was the receptionist . The response to any complaint then was-- " I can't help you". To sum up the Regina is an awful hotel.We could not wait to get home. The bottom line is the Regina is a Leisureplex hotel owned by Alfa Travel. It is a disgrace to treat customers in this way. My advice to everyone who has had a similar experience is to write and register your complaint to the Managing Director Paul Sawbridge at Alfa Travel . Just writing a review on Tripadvisor is not compensation for such a dreadful experience. Alfa are ABTA members and you have rights.

Room Tip: Try another hotel
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
49 Thank thehometruth

Travellers are raving about these Torquay hotels

Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 October 2012

This is areview on behalf of my parents who had an appalling stay, here is what they said.This hotel is useless for older people and people with mobility issues the lift was out of action and it is a struggle to reach rooms. The manager was not helpful and seemed rather two faced. When we complained. The staff were wonderful although there seemed a lot of foreign staff, English was understandable but it does make you wonder why our own residents were only in a 50/50 ratio. Trying to manage without a lift was dreadful and when there are three coaches and lots of people with walking issues. Website is contradictory on these issues. I would never return after the latest experience

Room Tip: If you have mobility issues a lower floor room is a must. Any other would be useless.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
11 Thank Jan E
Weston-super-Mare, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 September 2012

we stayed at this hotel from 22nd sept for 5 days, Never never again, On arrival the only lift was still out of order and had been for over a month as this hotel is mainly used for older clients it was disgusting to see so many of then really struggle with the stairs, Noone had warned them that the lift was out of order some had 3 or 4 flights of stairs to climb this in its self was inexcusable. The food was above average but the waiters were really bad the Dining room manager (I use that term very loosely) was rude unhelpfull and full of his own importance, We made a request direct to the hotel about been on an early as possible breakfast due to taking medication. This request was utterly ignored by everyone of the staff we had to argue to get them to change our meal time which the restaurant manager thought he was doing us a favour by moving us for one day, He then said if our table was ready we may come down abit early for the following days, but when we came down 7mins early than our alotted time he thought it was ok to chastize us loudly infront of a dining room full of poeple. we ended up eating out as we found that unaccepable even though all our meals were paid for. I did complain to the manager Bartak but he showed so little interest and did'nt seem to see what was wrong. The room was freezing cold as the heating did not work, there was no heating at all in the bathroom and you froze, The shower is in the bath with a huge frosted window that can be seen through from the passage but again the staff seem to think that thats ok. But i prefer to shower in private. the bathroom door would not stay closed so all bathroom habits had to be shared, for 2 of the days our bathroom was not even cleaned. I could go on more about incidents were the staff were plain rude to other people but thats for others to say. The staff really need to go for training in hospitality and customer service and that includes the manager. Never again will i stay at this hotel or travel with Alfa holidays

Room Tip: find another hotel
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
28 Thank graeme m
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2012

My wife and i together with our friend visited the Regina hotel for five days from 22nd September. We had never visited a leisureplex hotel before. On reading the reviews before going we wondered if they were true, however we found The staff were excellent, helpful and cheerful - no matter what time of day. In the dinning room, which was very busy at every meal time, Bartek the manager was very helpful too.He spoke excellent english. he made sure his guests were in no way kept waiting for meals. He did change our breakfast meal time without telling us or driver Lawrence.

The rooms ( we had back rooms) were very clean, plenty of towels, tea coffee and milk.

Location,- on the harbour very near the shops.

Just small touches were needed, like odd bits of decor needed doing, but not too drastic. For the price we paid and considering that its a two star hotel - overall it`s excellent value for money.

We would recommed it and are planning to go back.in the years to come

Thanks to all who made our stay a joy.

Pity about the lift being out of action for 5 weeks .

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
7 Thank m1key69
Also consider these accommodations in or near Torquay
#7 of 11 in Exmouth
Yardley Manor Hotel
#49 of 88 in Torquay
Premier Inn Torquay Hotel
#52 of 88 in Torquay

Been to The Regina Hotel? Share your experiences!