“Amazing hotel”

Ranked #60 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Bolton, United Kingdom
“Amazing hotel”
Reviewed 8 March 2013

We were worried after eeading the reviews but it was not called for. jim our driver was great and knew all about the area. the hotel and room was all i could hsve asked fir and the food was brilliant. how inga remembered and carried it all is a wonder. this was a great break and we had a great time. we are definately going again. thank you to bartak and all the staff they are fab

• Stayed February 2013
4 Thank pdanjel

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Lancashire, England
Reviewed 6 March 2013

Have just returned from an Alfa 5 day break to the Regina, and after a not so pleasant experience on our last trip (not, I must add, to this hotel) I was very unsure of what to expect. I needn't have worried. The hotel, though a little tired in some areas, was perfectly clean and comfortable. The room was bright and of decent standard, again very clean, with plenty of wardrobe space. It was warm all the time, so much so, we had to turn the heating down at times. The food could not be faulted, as the hot meals were certainly hot, and the salad was really fresh and well presented. Still not sure how it all fit on one plate, but it did. Also, when we asked for extra potatoes we received extra veg too.Even the veggie sausage was really tasty, and well cooked. Very good chef.
Our waiter, Davis, was excellent. Fast service and very helpful. Took the order for any vegetarian options we required and offered alternatives when we were unsure. He flew round the dining room as though he was on roller skates.
And the manager? Well, I must admit, Bartak was the most hands on manager I have ever come across. We found him to be an intelligent, articulate gentleman with a brilliant sense of humour. It was obvious the staff enjoyed their jobs, and this I believe was mainly due to Bartak. He was always there, in the hotel, from the "meet and greet" to our departiure, visible and ready to step in at any time, whether to help with cases, in the dining room, or just to talk to the guests. He was very approachable, helpful and polite.
Of course, not everything is perfect, but the only slight "blur" was the evening entertainment. The first night we had Jillie who was a good all round entertainer. Her "Jake the peg" still makes me smile. After that, we had female singers who were just that, singers. To be fair, with a very small group in the hotel, they were probably stilted in what they could do, but still, a comedian might have gone down better.
The barman Mark was also really efficient. Never had to wait to be served, and all the tables were kept clear all the time. So much nicer than sitting with empty glasses piling up.
The day trips were really good, Buckfast Abbey was beautiful. And I would just like to say to Alfa that our driver, Jim, was a star. His knowledge of not only the areas but the events and people was great. It was really interesting to listen to him, so thanks Jim, for adding to our holiday.
One visit I have to recommend is to the wildlife area on the seafront. You have to go and see the penguins, they are absolutly fascinating. A definate must see, and only across the road from the hotel. One word of advice, don't go up the hill, go straight across the road to the Harvester, go left and it's in front of you. All on the flat and much easier to access.
So, nice hotel, good shopping areas, great driver and excellent manager and staff. A definate positive for a lovely break.

Room Tip: Definatly upgrade to a seafront room, and go high if possible. As it's on a main road, it can be...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Maureen053
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2013

I too went to this Hotel 27th-30th Dec and endorse what all the other "positive" reviews have said. The manager is a delight and made us very welcome. He has a great sense of humour as well. The staff could not have been better and the room and the food etc were very good. I would definitely go back to this hotel!

Room Tip: Paying extra for a seafront room is worth it but maybe not in the height of summer!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Jimmy-N31
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2012

Just got back from The Regina Hotel, after reading all the reviews I was a little apprehensive about going, but must say we had a very enjoyable time there.
Our bedroom was very nice and spacious and the bathroom was also a good size with a bath and shower.
The food was very good, you had to pre-order at breakfast for your evening meal which wasn't a problem and they would accomodate you if you wanted to change anything.
The staff were really friendly and helpful, would definately go back again

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank dianewaterhouse
West Wales
Reviewed 13 December 2012

Recently stayed at this hotel for a Turkey and Tinsel break and had a very enjoyable experience. Staff were very friendly and helpfull, accomodation comfortable and warm ,food was excellent and considering it is not advertised as 5 star, I could not find fault with anything.The lift was in working order which was good as we were on 2nd floor.The location is convenient to town so I wonder what some people expect when I read their reviews.II would certainly be happy to stay here again

Room Tip: Try to pre book room with sea view
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank TaffyGelli
Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2012

It was with some trepidation that I visited the Regina, having looked at the reviews after booking. However, despite some of the communal areas being a little 'tired' I need not have worried.
The hotel is in a really good position, the manager ( who has a very good command of the English language despite what some rude visitor said previously) was excellent and all the staff likewise. The food was plentiful and of a very high standard. I travelled with Alfa and the whole package was excellent value. I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and wish them well.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Sue M
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2012

Regularly travel with Alfa, to their Leisureplex hotels, we're a group of 12/14.
Issues on arrival with luggage going to wrong rooms, I waited so long that I went back to Reception and carried my own case back to my room.
Down to dinner and my first 'spat' with the restaurant manager but wasn't surprised having read previous reviews before my holiday.
This place is so short staffed - restaurant team were run off their feet, one barman on duty (the hotel was full) the bar had to be closed whilst he called the bingo resulting in some guests leaving and taking their custom to the nearby pub!
The best bit - 3 times we contacted Reception to ask them to book our next group holiday with Alfa and 3 times we told the computer system 'was down', on the Saturday morning I asked the receptionist to ring Alfa and make the booking (approx £2000 in total) only to be told there wasn't anybody at head office, wrong answer!! I took the trouble to phone Alfa myself a little later, reported this problem/attitude and placed our booking.
Departure day, no sign of the General Manager, in fact didn't see him all week, Assistant Manager was busy in the kitchen covering for the absent chef and the duty receptionist was busy dealing with yet another complaint. Therefore nobody available to bid us farewell and safe journey home which is the customary procedure!
Yes, I know they are only 2 star hotels but this one is in need of a shake up, as with most of the Leisureplex hotels they are somewhat dated/tired in the decor, this one does have obnoxious smells in parts, the lift is a constant problem, not good as the clientele are predominantly the elderly/infirm and finally the admin team need bringing up to speed!

Room Tip: If you have mobility problems, try another hotel!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
7 Thank smf2109
Also consider these accommodations in or near Torquay
Bay Torbay Hotel
#58 of 87 in Torquay
Yardley Manor Hotel
Yardley Manor Hotel
#50 of 87 in Torquay

Been to The Regina Hotel? Share your experiences!