“Excellent all dog people”

The Downs, Babbacombe
Ranked #34 of 149 Torquay B&B and Inns
england
“Excellent all dog people”
Reviewed 16 May 2013

Once again all brilliant cant complain kate ed best hosts ever and rooms superb and clean and as long as they are here I will keep comming back with me doggy and surrounding area is doggy friendly hole area good for people and dogs . Thank you to you both and your staff

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank zennaEngland

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
London
Reviewed 13 April 2013

I was walking the South West Coast Path and booked in here for one night. A lovely room with a view to die for! The room was clean and the large bed very comfortable. Dogs are welcome which is a bonus.
The owners were very helpful. I hope to come back and visit soon again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Christchurch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2013

Had a wonderful long weekend here. Breakfasts were excellent and on a couple of nights we had an evening meal which we thoroughly enjoyed. Plenty to eat, had a great time and we will definitely be returning. Owners and staff were very pleasant and helpful. Very happy to recommend.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2013

We have just enjoyed a family weekend. Lovely to wake up, open the curtains and take in the spectacular view without having to get out of bed!
Breakfast was superb and the owners couldn't have been more accommodating. They have an excellent knowlege of the local amenities with helpful suggestions of places to visit,
Will definitely be going back again

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Harbury
Reviewed 27 January 2013

The Downs Hotel is an ideal location for a family gathering. Set beside the Babbacome Downs overlooking Oddicombe Bay it offers all those things that a family could want. It is family run so the owners understand what a family wants from such an occasion and they have made sure that we had all the facilities that we wanted. The accommodation, food, service and staff is outstanding considering the size of the operation. Located in an area where there are numerous things of interest to do, close enough to the main centre of Torquay but far enough away to give the impression of almost being a village setting. We shall be returning with the family in March and most likely at other times of the year just to make sure it was not just a one off experience.

Room Tip: North facing upper floors have a breathtaking view over sea and South Devon / Jurassic Coast.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2013 via mobile

We went to the Downs Hotel for new year and not for the first time. We went as a family and enjoyed ourselves as much as ever. The area surrounding the hotel is full of things to do and their is never a dull moment. The owners are friendly and so are the staff making the atmosphere pleasant, the rooms are spacious and the bathrooms are spacious and well maintained. I would recommend it to anyone.

Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank kknowels1996
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 November 2012

I stayed in The Downs Hotel when on a business trip to Torquay.

The Hotel has a lovely outlook, which I didn't realise until I woke in the morning and had a beautiful view from the balcony from my room. It made me think I should come back to share the hotel with my partner at some point, which I will probably do.

The parking is apparently mainly behind the hotel, but in quieter periods it is possible to park on the paved area at the front of the hotel, which is obviously used for seating outdoors in the summer. I am not sure how far the walking distance to the hotel would be, but I don't think this would put me off coming back.

The hotel has free wifi to all rooms which is always something I need for work. There was no problem logging on to this and the speed was fine.

The owners of the hotel are lovely, and Kate is a very bright, helpful and intelligent lady who clearly works as hard as she can to make each guest enjoy their stay.
I was offered a flask of fresh milk for my tea which was a nice touch, and meant I could enjoy more than a couple of cups of tea on my arrival.
The breakfast choice was huge and sounded very high standard, although I chose something simple it was clear that they use the best ingredients and produce.

There is a well prepared guide in each room which explains what services are available and the wifi password, along with recommendations of where to eat and places to visit. I was so interested in this that I am going to bring my partner with me to stay at this hotel and explore Torquay a little more.

My room was clean and had a lovely big bed with high quality sheets and bedding. This gave a lovely feel to the room. The building is Victorian so the rooms have character and as such the en suites have been added at later dates. Mine was cramped but very clean and care had been taken to ensure it smelled lovely.
The heating in the room is adjustable by the occupant which was great as I have often been too hot or cold while staying in places before.
The towels were immaculate, and the shampoo and shower gel etc was presented beautifully, there were even chocolate cookies to welcome me after a stressful day at work!

Overall a lovely welcoming place with lovely owners, thanks for the hospitality! :)

Room Tip: There are some rooms with balconies with views, and a couple of rooms at the back of the hotel. I wo...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business