“Wonderful, great value family run hotel.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Glenwood

The Glenwood
Ranked #70 of 153 Torquay B&B and Inns
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Wonderful, great value family run hotel.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2010

I recently spent a wonderful 3 nights at The Glenwood Hotel enjoying a short break with my partner. I was very shocked to find a negative review as I couldn't fault the hotel in anyway - the reviewer must have got out of bed on the wrong side!

When we arrived we were greeted by Tina and shown to our room. She was very friendly and full of helpful information and certainly had plenty of time for us. The room itself was lovely and welcoming, and very clean. It was well equipped with tea and coffee making, a mini fridge, and a hairdrier, there is even an iron/board available. I particularyly loved the retro styled alarm clock!

Breakfast was fantastic! We really enjoy a good cooked breakfast and a Glenwood breakfast is going to be hard to beat! There are fruits, cereals, and yoghurts to help yourself to and then you can order a variation of different cooked breakfasts, they even cooked 'eggy bread' for us and the toast kept coming!

There is a large lounge with a huge tv to enjoy, and I loved sitting out on the little sun terrace before going out for the evening. The location of the Glenwood is ideal, just a 5 minute walk to the town centre, station, and seafront. The car didn't leave the hotels car park for 3 days.

Overall I would thoroughly recommend the Glenwood Hotel to everyone. A welcoming family, really great food, lovely clean and comfortable rooms, and ideal location. We'll definitely be going back.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Plymouth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2010

I have read a more than damaging review of this property and as a repeat guest of this establishment I would like to put my experiences down for people to read.

I stay at The Glenwood around once every two months as a business visitor to Torquay and have done for the last three years (that must say something). You will always get a warm welcome on arrival and I have noticed that even if you havn't stayed there before the welcome is Always warm and friendly.

The rooms are Very clean and well equiped, bedding clean and fresh, towels soft and fluffy (unlike some of the other places I stay.

Breakfast is freshly cooked, full of flavour and sets you up for the day, should you opt for evening meal (which I have on the odd occasion) you will get a hearty, home cooked meal, that is full of flavour.

At The Glenwood you are made to feel at home within the Proprietors home. You have use of the Lounge with large leather sofa's and one of the biggest TV's around. If you are lucky you might even meet the family dog!!! Even more rewarding is if you meet their little granson, who is just finding his feet and is every where (cant help to put a smile on your face)

So all in all if you are looking for a basic, middle of the road establishment where the rooms are inadequate, where the food is limp and the welcome is cold. Then The Glenwood is not for you.

If you want clean rooms, good food, made to feel part of the family, Oh and a car park then The Glenwood is the place to stay.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
Stoke on trent . England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2010

We arrived at this hotel and on first appearances it looked o.k. We did not get any kind of proper greeting but a guest book was practically thrown at us to fill in.
After 5 minutes my friend knocked on our door and told us to check our bed. She works in a hotel chain and knows what to look for. In her bed she had found 3 what looked like pubic hairs. She told the landlady and her bed was changed but with no apology.
We looked through our window saw a pool, the bottom was covered in green slime .
At the night we went into the lounge and sat on an old tired settee, after few minutes I started to itch.
On the patio doors, the glass was covered in childrens hand prints and as there were no children in the hotel, we wondered how long they had been there.
We went to bed that first night and it was very uncomfortable, there was a folded cover of some sort on the bottom of the bed and it slipped off, on picking it up there was a large stain which looked like either tea or coffee so obviously the cover had not been changed.
The next morning we went for breakfast , the menu was itemised so we could choose what we wanted, there was no fried bread on the menu but we asked if we can have fried bread, the landlord said we could but his wife didn`t really like cooking it. When we saw the landlady we thanked her for doing the fried bread and were told she did not like ooing it because "she had to use another frying pan" The breakfast was not very nice, the sausages were too herby, the egg and mushrooms tasted of stale oil.
That night we went into the lounge again and once again I started to itch sitting on the settee.
My husband had a trapped nerve in his neck and I told the landlady we would have to go home as he was in absolute agony, I don`t know what the usual policy is but my friend who I said previously works in a hotel chain said that normally guests who had to leave early only had to pay a portion of the bill for the days they were not there but we had to pay full price.
We went in for breakfast and I decided to just have toast, I was brought 4 triangles of toast and as my husband and friend had ordered toast with their breakfast I said they could have a slice of mine until theirs arrived. The landlord brought in 2 more triangles of toast ........we did not know if this was mine or theirs , there was only 3 pats of butter in the dish so I asked for more butter and my friend asked for toast, the landlord looked around the table with astonishment but then brought just 3 more pats of butter and 4 triangles of toast. . The web site says that each room has a clock radio alarm , Ironing board , iron and fridge. There was no ironing board or iron and the fridge did not seem to be working. My friend did not have a fridge at all. and the clock radio was an old fashione type alarm clock with 2 bells on the top.
The first thing I did when I got home was have a bath and wash my hair because I felt "dirty"
All in all I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family