“Lovely place but could be improved”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Totnes
Gitcombe House Country Cottages
Jersey, United Kingdom
“Lovely place but could be improved”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a week holiday staying at Yennadon Barn. The cottage is compact but very nice, the grounds of Gitcombe are lovely, we saw it with snow and in sunshine and did have very cold weather whilst there but the cottage was nice and warm and the addition of the log burner made it very cosy in the evenings. Unfortunately we had a few problems whilst there; extractor fan not working on the oven on our arrival, dishwasher broke down, electrics kept tripping but these things do happen and Lynne the administrator did her upmost to fix them.
The reason I have marked down the rating is that I don't really feel it lives up to "luxury, baby friendly" but with a few small, inexpensive improvements it could be excellent.

On arrival the highchair provided was filthy, very old ground in food debris-it is a padded Mothercare highchair which are difficult to clean but this looked like an accumulation of old food. I cleaned it as well as I could, the harness was also broken but we made do and we're given a replacement when we highlighted it. The travel cot was set up for us and we were aware that we had to bring our own linen for this which we did. There was no mattress in the cot other than the thin, hard base insert the cot come with-I tried putting a blanket under it to make my son (10 months) more comfortable but we had a very disturbed night. The next day I asked the owner if we could have a mattress. I was informed that parents often wanted different equipment so they were asked to bring their own. I understand this with the linen, my son likes his own Grobag but a mattress if a basic comfort item-I guess the reply will be that the thin, hard base is the mattress but for "luxury baby friendly" accomodation I don't find this acceptable-the owner was helpful in telling us where the nearest Mothercare was-my husband drove the 40min there to purchase a £30 Travel mattress.
The soft play are is a lovely facility, however the heating was not working there throughout the whole of our stay and it was freezing! The temperature in the pool also dropped throughout our stay which meant it was too cold for our son by the 4th day. I phoned the office to report these problems on the 4th day, however the office was unmanned until the 6th day when Lynne the administrator did try and rectify things, but we left the next morning.
The cottage has upside down accomodation which did not prove a problem for us and a stair gate is built in. The tv is on a sliding stand at floor level which was a constant attraction to my son-not very baby friendly! The only other thing to point out was the metal shelves at the top of the stairs-my husband (average height) hit his head on these, thankfully he wasn't carrying our son at the time.
There was also no steriliser available and no toys in the cottage-I was aware of both of these points as I emailed the owner before travelling but I would expect these from a "luxury baby friendly" place.
All in all it is a lovely place with beautiful surroundings, we had hoped to use it as a base for future holidays with other families but with the things I have mentioned above I would not return, you pay a premium price and expect these little extra touches; a cheap Ikea highchair that can be kept clean, a £30 mattress for the cot, a microwave steriliser and some toys are all it would take to make it "luxury baby friendly", and moving the tv and metal shelves! The other things that went wrong are just things that do happen so I hope I have been fair in this review and offer some points for improvement for the owners. The other cottages may be different but I can only comment on Yennadon Barn.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Borehanley
Gitcombe, Owner at Gitcombe House Country Cottages, responded to this review, 19 March 2013
We were all so sorry to read of your disappointment during your stay here as we strive to make Gitcombe a wonderful experience for all family members. As you acknowledge, we tried very hard to rectify problems as and when they occurred. We have noted your comments regarding areas of improvement and will do our best to implement them. We hope that you will visit us again in order for us to meet your expectations a second time around.

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Wimbledon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2013

A beautiful stay in very calm setting. Very clean and spacious cottage with everything you need to hand. Indoor pool great weather resistant addition for the kids, fantastic hot tub overlooking Dartmoor on a clear day.

We will come back!

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank willjud
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2013

We stayed in Maristow Cottage for a week over Christmas and it was thoroughly enjoyable – we did not want to leave! Our cottage was very well appointed and it was just lovely to be able to curl up in front of the wood burner in the evenings once our little girl was tucked up in bed. Beautiful location and the indoor pool is outstanding (particularly as we could not use the outdoor facilities due to wet weather). I would highly recommend this for families. Note that the location is quite remote (roads are quite rural and single tracked in parts), however this did not stop us from exploring the local area and enjoying the many activities on offer. We will be back!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Tara D
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2012

We stayed in the coach house in October, it was very clean and well kitted out. Great Aga and great location. The pool was really impressive. I would highly recommend this for families. Be warned it is quite remote and the roads are very rural and single tracked in part, could be a challenge for the more urban motorists. Dartmouth is wonderful and very close by.

Room Tip: The wood burners in the barn conversion work more consistently than the open fire at the coach house
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Devon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2012

This is truly a wonderful bolt hole and is so well suited for children. Our 3 year old loved her "holiday house" so as a result it made for a perfect mini break for us. You always know you are onto a winner when you can only get away for a couple of nights and it feels longer.....we live in Devon so are no strangers to beautiful countryside, Gitcombe feels like a little bit of heaven! We saw the estate under frost and glorious sunshine both equally beautiful. The indoor pool and the soft play was a big hit with our daughter. The lovely walk through the estate to The Malsters in Tuckenhay was a big hit for the adults! Our cottage was very well appointed and so cosy to have a woodburer and the fresh cut flowers was a nice touch. We had a very warm welcome from the owners who know all that's to know about the local area. There is so much to do in this area if you want to be out and about everyday but equally if you just want a chilled out time just stock up with some good food and wine and there's plenty to do without getting in your car too much, although we did go to Dartmouth crabbing which was lots of fun. We look forward to returning very soon.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank FMMDevon
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2012

Gitcombe is a lovely spot to spend a family week. There is loads to do in the area and then when you come back to the cottage it is well appointed for a family. The indoor play area is great for the little ones and the pool ideal for the bigger ones. We didn't get to use the outdoor facilities due to the weather but these looked excellent too and a really good way for children to play safely on holiday. Perhaps some little touches like tea bags and child locks on the cupboards would be nice, but that is nit picking and would recommend the venue to anyone with children (though be careful if it snows as I would suspect you might get stuck at the bottom of the drive!)

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank oopsyUk
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

Gitcombe is a fantastic place to stay with children. The accommodation is really lovely and a lot of thought has gone into providing everything a family needs. The swimming pool and soft play complex went down particularly well with our eight month old and the playground looks like it would be fantastic for older children. The surrounding area is packed with things to do and see. We went for five nights and it wasn't enough. Next time we will stay longer!!!

• Stayed October 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Totnes
Best Western The Dartmouth Hotel Golf & Spa
The Grand Hotel
The Grand Hotel
#37 of 89 in Torquay
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,210 reviews

Been to Gitcombe House Country Cottages? Share your experiences!