“Perfect family holiday location”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Totnes
Gitcombe House Country Cottages
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect family holiday location”
Reviewed 6 July 2013

We've just returned from a wonderful week staying at The Coach House at Gitcombe. On arrival the cottage was spotlessly clean and everything was in good working order. The cottage has a private driveway and patio which the babies (twin 16 month old boys) just loved. Cows could be seen in the field opposite and the sheep were in a field just off to the right so they were very happy. The facilities at Gitcombe are perfect for a young family planning a UK holiday. The indoor pool and soft play meant that even when the weather was drizzly and a bit miserable the children were still well entertained. The wooden playground was a little too big for them but looked great. Its the perfect location for lots of great days out; Pennywell farm, Batham Beach, riverford kitchen and lovely walks.

The only slightly negative thing I can say is about the water system - it is loud. As a previous reviewer has also said, we just implemented a no flush rule after the kids had gone to sleep. This really is a small point though and I wouldn't be put off by it.

This is definitely a baby friendly bolthole. The only improvements I could suggest are things that I have seen in other family friendly cottages - more toys and books in the actual cottage would be great. A few personal/thoughtful touches such as shower robes, cotton wool, welcome hamper etc. It would also be really helpful to have some staples in the kitchen - things like Olive Oil, coffee, tea etc. It doesn't need to be extravagant but I think it would really make this wonderful venue amazing.

All that said, they are just suggestions and even without them we'd still happily return and hope to do so

Room Tip: Coach House was perfect for us - main bedroom and 2 cots in the second bedroom.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank pollyd2011

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Reviewed 11 June 2013

We spent a glorious week staying in the Coach House and are keen to visit again. It was a beautiful house, grounds and brilliant location and even the weather was good. I believe the estate was at full capacity but despite this, we rarely saw anyone else so we (myself, boyfriend and 2.5 year old) were completely undisturbed and had the indoor and outdoor pools, the playground, tennis court etc to ourselves whenever we used them.

The only downsides were a rather noisy water system (so we had to ban 'flushing' or running taps after bedtime) and rather hard beds - easily fixed though with an extra quilt underneath.

All in all it was a fabulous holiday and we are all very much looking forward to returning.

Room Tip: The Coach House was perfect for us - a couple sharing with a toddler plus grandparents.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank SBG67
Gitcombe2, Manager at Gitcombe House Country Cottages, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
We have rectified the problem with the water pump in the Coach House, as reported in this review, by completely replacing and relocating the hot water cylinder in the bathroom. Please be assured that guests will no longer be disturbed by such noise. We have made further improvements to this property to ensure that it continues to offer the perfect country bolthole. Peter O Brien & Joanne Doherty, new owners of Gitcombe House, as of October 2013.
Reviewed 3 May 2013

Had a lovely week at Gitcombe house, staying in the Meavy Cottage. We have a 10 month old so wanted self catering, and the indoor pool convinced us to go with Gitcombe (never sure of the British weather). Thankfully the weather was beautiful and Gitcombe is a great base for exploring Dartmouth, Salcombe, Totnes and Dartmoor. We only used the pool once thanks to the good weather but it was in excellent repair, and our baby loved the soft play area next door. He was too young to be let loose on the mini adventure playground but he enjoyed the swings. The cottages themselves are lovely. The open plan kitchen meant we could keep an eye on the little one whilst cooking. If we return to South Devon I'm sure we'll look to stay here again!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank paul t
Windsor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2013

we stayed in Burrator cottage. v clean, small yet spacious feel, good facilities within the cottage. the gardens of Gitcombe are beautiful, the indoor pool v clean and luxury, the adventure playground really fun. lots of fun, family things to do in the area including great walk to the local pub, the maltsters' arms.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank emma s
Walton-On-Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 March 2013

We stayed in The Coach House for the 2nd time, and once again enjoyed a wonderful family holiday. Gitcombe is a beautiful setting with excellent facilities - particularly the indoor pool, wooden playground and access to babysitting services. The owners Yves and Mike are very welcoming and always recommend excellent places to eat such as the Riverford Kitchen and The Beachhouse at South Milton Sands.The cottage itself is open plan downstairs - perfect with a little one and the kitchen has everything you need, all very tastefully decked out. Upstairs 2 good size bedrooms and a bathroom. It's also great to have various items of bulky child equipment provided such as a high chair and bed frame. Great location for beautiful beaches, stunning coastal walks and plenty of other activities including a butterfly farm, zoo and steam railway. In the past we have rarely gone on holiday to the same place twice, but we feel so relaxed at Gitcombe and our 3 year old daughter is so happy here that we have returned and were certainly not disappointed 2nd time round! Thanks for another lovely stay.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Helen1842228
Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a week holiday staying at Yennadon Barn. The cottage is compact but very nice, the grounds of Gitcombe are lovely, we saw it with snow and in sunshine and did have very cold weather whilst there but the cottage was nice and warm and the addition of the log burner made it very cosy in the evenings. Unfortunately we had a few problems whilst there; extractor fan not working on the oven on our arrival, dishwasher broke down, electrics kept tripping but these things do happen and Lynne the administrator did her upmost to fix them.
The reason I have marked down the rating is that I don't really feel it lives up to "luxury, baby friendly" but with a few small, inexpensive improvements it could be excellent.

On arrival the highchair provided was filthy, very old ground in food debris-it is a padded Mothercare highchair which are difficult to clean but this looked like an accumulation of old food. I cleaned it as well as I could, the harness was also broken but we made do and we're given a replacement when we highlighted it. The travel cot was set up for us and we were aware that we had to bring our own linen for this which we did. There was no mattress in the cot other than the thin, hard base insert the cot come with-I tried putting a blanket under it to make my son (10 months) more comfortable but we had a very disturbed night. The next day I asked the owner if we could have a mattress. I was informed that parents often wanted different equipment so they were asked to bring their own. I understand this with the linen, my son likes his own Grobag but a mattress if a basic comfort item-I guess the reply will be that the thin, hard base is the mattress but for "luxury baby friendly" accomodation I don't find this acceptable-the owner was helpful in telling us where the nearest Mothercare was-my husband drove the 40min there to purchase a £30 Travel mattress.
The soft play are is a lovely facility, however the heating was not working there throughout the whole of our stay and it was freezing! The temperature in the pool also dropped throughout our stay which meant it was too cold for our son by the 4th day. I phoned the office to report these problems on the 4th day, however the office was unmanned until the 6th day when Lynne the administrator did try and rectify things, but we left the next morning.
The cottage has upside down accomodation which did not prove a problem for us and a stair gate is built in. The tv is on a sliding stand at floor level which was a constant attraction to my son-not very baby friendly! The only other thing to point out was the metal shelves at the top of the stairs-my husband (average height) hit his head on these, thankfully he wasn't carrying our son at the time.
There was also no steriliser available and no toys in the cottage-I was aware of both of these points as I emailed the owner before travelling but I would expect these from a "luxury baby friendly" place.
All in all it is a lovely place with beautiful surroundings, we had hoped to use it as a base for future holidays with other families but with the things I have mentioned above I would not return, you pay a premium price and expect these little extra touches; a cheap Ikea highchair that can be kept clean, a £30 mattress for the cot, a microwave steriliser and some toys are all it would take to make it "luxury baby friendly", and moving the tv and metal shelves! The other things that went wrong are just things that do happen so I hope I have been fair in this review and offer some points for improvement for the owners. The other cottages may be different but I can only comment on Yennadon Barn.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Borehanley
Gitcombe, Owner at Gitcombe House Country Cottages, responded to this review, 19 March 2013
We were all so sorry to read of your disappointment during your stay here as we strive to make Gitcombe a wonderful experience for all family members. As you acknowledge, we tried very hard to rectify problems as and when they occurred. We have noted your comments regarding areas of improvement and will do our best to implement them. We hope that you will visit us again in order for us to meet your expectations a second time around.
Wimbledon
Reviewed 19 February 2013

A beautiful stay in very calm setting. Very clean and spacious cottage with everything you need to hand. Indoor pool great weather resistant addition for the kids, fantastic hot tub overlooking Dartmoor on a clear day.

We will come back!

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank willjud
Also consider these accommodations in or near Totnes
Best Western The Dartmouth Hotel Golf & Spa
#1 of 1 in Thurlestone
Stoke Lodge Hotel
Stoke Lodge Hotel
#5 of 6 in Dartmouth

Been to Gitcombe House Country Cottages? Share your experiences!