“Ladycups in abundance”

Cuisines: British
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Ladycups in abundance”
Reviewed 12 May 2013

Greys is a bit of a hidden gem.It's at the top of the high street in Totnes and it is worth the walk.The window is packed with a mixture of collectables and cake,which I think is a great combination. Inside is like something out of a Dicken's novel.Loads of teapots and what I like to call "ladycups" the sort that Margot Leadbetter would approve of.They have a lovely menu of lite bites suitably presented on vintage china and did I mention the cakes? Yummy. It's not too badly priced for a tourist town;we paid £5+ for our sandwiches and they were lovely with a very nice salad garnish.Your tea comes in a silver tea service and it is altogether delightful. The best bit though are the clientel. Not us the tourists, but the locals who come in on a regular basis. They are all of a certain age and with age comes the ability to speak your mind without restraint.It was great listening to them;not that we were being nosy, it is a pretty intimate place so we could not avoid it. To hear people of senior years discussing ladyboys at length was surreal but very entertaining. I would visit again next time we are in Totnes. Only blip is they don't take cards which is a bit of a pain but they probably don't hold with that sort of thing.

• Visited May 2013

Bristol, United Kingdom
“fantastic array of homemade cakes and teas”
Reviewed 1 April 2013

This is a lovely tea shop serving wonderful cakes and teas. Not child friendly given the size but lovely place to meet friends. Usually the food lovely but recent visit I chose cheese scones which tasted like a pot of salt had accidentally fallen in, however ugly recommend the amazing homemade cakes.

Dorset
“Astonishing cake nirvana.....”
Reviewed 25 March 2013 via mobile

Lovely old school decor that reminded me of going for tea and cake as a wee one. Admittedly quite miserable fella initially greeted us but the glorious array of sweet treats more than made up for that . We sat by the window where all the cakes were tempting passers by to gawp and drool, and dozens did! We chose well but it seems it would be hard to take a bad step judging by the foodgasmic moans filling the place. In short, cheer up moustache boy, your place of work is a Wonka esque cake heaven. Revel in the joy you are bringing....

Buckfastleigh, United Kingdom
“Thoroughly not modern gem”
Reviewed 12 March 2013

Remember those days when tea out made fresh cakes, light scones and tea served as loose leaf, in a tea pot, through a strainer, into a china cup. Well, that's what you get at Greys. Even the waitresses are still reminiscent of 'nippies' in their black & white outfits.

We have visited many times but thought it was about time that a review was made.

Greys is 'quaint', wobbly tables, bric-a-brac for sale, tight for room but it has an amazing range of freshly made cakes and pastries. My favorites are lemon drizzle (which actually has some lemon tang for a change - most others elsewhere are usually incipid) and fruit cake.

The range of teas is spectacular, and they have reverted back to proper coffee (after flirting with those 'pop on top of your cup drippers').

devon UK
“Give us a smile! We are your customers!”
Reviewed 3 March 2013

I had planned a visit here as a treat for my Mum and we were looking forward to it. Very quirky little place, old fashioned and atmospheric and I expected old fashioned service to go with it. Not a bit of it. No smile of greeting, treated with undisguised irritation when I asked what cakes they had, tea served with no comment/smile. There was a rather sweet young waitress who went some way to making up for it but I haven't been treated with such disdain by a waiter since a weekend in Hamburg several years ago!

The loose leaf tea was superb, the chocolate and orange cake delicious. Despite this, I would never go back there and certainly wouldn't recommend it. I wouldn't have minded the expense (£11 something for tea and cake for two) had we been treated like welcome customers.

2 Thank jojo3devonUK