“wonderful despite very few staff”

cafe mumbai restaurant
Ranked #53 of 108 Restaurants in Totnes
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 11 August 2015

We visited this lovely restaurant on spec, not having read or heard anything about it prior to our visit. We were made welcome, even though it was about 8pm and the restaurant was clearly extremely busy with diners plus takeaway customers. The young waiter told us that he would clear us a table if we would wait a short time. We did this and the table was cleared He asked what we wanted to drink. the drinks came quickly and he then informed us that they were very short-staffed that night, both in the kitchen and front of house.
We did have to wait a short while for the food because it was very busy, but not for ages and the atmosphere was friendly and nobody complained.
The food was really delicious! There was not the overuse of ghee that some Indian restaurants seem to go in for, so the dishes were light. The okra was delicious and fresh in flavour and slightly al dente in texture, not at all slimy, as okra can be.
I am not going to describe each dish, all were delicious, but I do have to mention the rice. I just had plain rice, but it was the best I have ever had in an Indian restaurant. It was light, fairly dry rather than soggy and perfectly cooked. It turned out that the young man who had been brought out of the kitchen to help the young waiter front of house was the person who had also cooked the rice. He was delighted by my compliment. (I come from a rice-based culture and find rice is often badly cooked in the UK).
We wil be definitely returning, even within the week we are staying here. Huge compliments to the chef for his delicious food and an enormous "thank you" to the two valiant young men who served us! They deserve a medal from the owner of the restaurant for coping so well on such a busy night with charm and unflappable politeness combined with a friendly concern for the enjoyment of all their customers.
I have eaten out a great deal over the years, including in a good number of Michelin- starred restaurants in the UK and abroad. I appreciate delicious food and good service. This restaurant has both, even when both the kitchen and the restaurant are very short-staffed.
Highly recommended!

Reviewed 6 August 2015

Visited this restaurant whist on holiday in the area and was very happy with the food and service. Located at the top of the high street, it is a modern restaurant which offers a great choice for a reasonable price. Worth a visit if you are in the area.

Reviewed 4 August 2015

My husband and I have been visiting this restaurant for the past ten years and there isn't anything to compare it with in the South Hams area. The Menu is superb and the Chef is always on hand to talk with his customers. We are always happy to introduce new friends and visit for special ocassions. Never once have we been disappointed with a meal. Positioned at the top of the High Street in quirky Totnes, this Restaurant with a modern twist is a definite winner for us.

Reviewed 14 June 2015 via mobile

We have been coming here for years and always enjoy it. There is a wide selection of dishes on offer, which are always very tasty. I often try something new, and every dish has been great. My wife always enjoys her vegetarian and gluten-free meals and our very fussy daughter always eats her food up. Prices are very reasonable and service very friendly.

Reviewed 25 May 2015 via mobile

Been going since this restaurant opened and went again last night. So good and it really is far more than your typical 'curry house '. Chef Kobir is brilliant. Try and you'll see for yourself!