“Great place to stay”

The Old Forge at Totnes
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Totnes
Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for one night last weekend, great place to stay- after booking I looked here and was dubious and did take ear plugs that I did use (I slept absolutely fine!).
The rooms are small as others have said but very well appointed and perfectly liveable.
The Old Forge was beautifully clean and had thought of everything - they even provide cotton wool and cotton buds which I'd never seen provided anywhere else.
The breakfast selection was the widest variety I've ever seen on offer - very yummy too :-)
Thanks very much for a great stay.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Laydee_P

Reviewed 15 September 2013

We came down to Totnes recently for a family wedding. The hotel was very busy but this just added to the lovely atmosphere.
I must admit, i was dubious about staying here because I had read the recent reviews but I had nothing to worry about. Our hosts were welcoming and friendly.
Our room was quite small but had a king size bed and was spotlessly clean. The toiletries were of a high standard usually found in a quality hotel, lovely. There was a lot of coming and going but that was because the hotel was busy, the good weather and people coming back from parties. It didn't worry us at all.
Breakfast was excellent, we had to order our food which took around 10mins but that gave us time to have toast and cereal.
All in all we had a very comfortable stay, would come again if we ever came to Totnes again.

Room Tip: Go for a king size room at the back as we did.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank mary19612013
Reviewed 30 August 2013

On the positive side, I would like to agree with my friend's comments about the accommodation - very convenient, charming location, clean room with some nice touches (black out blinds appreciated), comfortable bed, well equipped ensuite (with welcome bath), lovely views, (yes, rather small and noise through the walls, but this IS an old building).Excellent varied breakfast.
On the not so positive side, I agree that the gentleman owner was not very friendly or welcoming, certainly on our first day. On the second morning when we were having breakfast with two other ladies in the conservatory, we got in to conversation with the gentleman owner who was more relaxed and chatty. When he left us, I commented to the others 'he must have been to the charm school over night' and we all laughed. (we had already discussed his unwelcoming manner).
Later when we went to pay, my friend was told by the gentleman owner that her debit card had already been debited. (Surely card details are only given in case the guest goes off without paying). The time on her bank slip was 10.26 although the official check out time is 10.30! We were stunned as we had wanted to pay separately and my friend had stated (when booking) that we wanted to pay with cash. Neither of us had left the premises. The time of 11 o'clock (for processing the debit) as quoted in the owner's response is not correct.
We asked if we could leave our car in the carpark whilst we went for a walk and were told that we could leave it till noon (very helpful as leaving the car in the lane outside would have resulted in a hefty fine). We came back before that time having talked a lot about the payment grievance. We decided to ask for a refund and to have just our own shares debited from our own cards. The gentleman owner did not show any understanding of our situation but did agree to cancel the original payment and to process two fresh debits, one for each of us. We would have so appreciated a friendly apology. He could have even said that he hoped we would come and stay again.........

Finally, as a driver, I would suggest any guests should be aware that parking in the lane incurs a fine. Parking in the hotel carpark is ok as long as there are enough spaces. Be warned!

Room Tip: Choose an upstairs room. We had room 7 (upstairs). It had lovely views and a good ensuite.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sheilahale
familyswim, Owner at The Old Forge at Totnes, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2013

Thank you for your review. I would really like to draw a line under this issue and move on to running our business. The comments in the previous review have upset us and our children and I think it really pays to think before hitting the send button.

After discussing what happened, my husband says that you said that using that card would cause you to run into charges and he said 'oh you don't want that do you?' After he had taken the money in the way that you wished he wished you a safe journey home. He didn't feel it quite appropiate to say 'hope to see you again' as neither of you appeared to be very happy.

Parking in Totnes can be a problem but we make sure all of our guests fit into our car park in order not to incur a fine. When you came it was a bank holiday so we were particularly busy. Other hotels in town have similar problems with parking. We are lucky to have a car park.

We have asked Tripadvisor to remove some of the comments in the previous review. They are personal insults and absolutely untrue. You only met my husband when all four of you were having breakfast and you say that he was friendly and chatty. It was me you saw at any other time.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

Top Floor twin room with lovely views.

We arrived at the agreed time but no parking space was available and heavy fines in the adjoining street for any parked cars! Very tight car parking, but owners did their best to accommodate all. The male owner was very 'robotic' with no emotions, friendliness, or social skills and we experienced more of this character and his unfriendly and arrogant 'manners' throughout our stay.

Our room was very 'cosy' with no actual wardrobe but several coat hooks within a wooden frame and a curtain, but with nowhere to put our luggage without there being a 'health and safety' issue. It was very clean and tidy and had two pretty windows overlooking the lawned cottage garden with apple trees and the view of a nearby church and there was continuous bird song - delightful. We accepted the small scale room as it had been converted from an old black smith's and was an interesting quirky building dating back a few hundred years, but could hear our adjoining neighbours speaking and arriving back home in the early hours. My single bed was very comfortable but being used to a double bed my arms knocked the bedside cabinet which was between the two beds.

Breakfast was generous with a good range of cereals, bread, spreads, prunes, fresh strawberries, yogurt and the cooked breakfast was very good and well cooked. I had scrambled egg, waffle, baked beans, mushrooms and half of a tomato. A top up on fresh coffee was offered on both days by the lady owner. The cooked breakfast was served quite quickly and was very hot.

The B&B is very central to town and on the quiet side of the town which was perfect and just a short stroll into the main town.

At the end of the stay I rung the bell to pay the hotel bill. The male owner appeared and I said I wanted to pay the bill. He informed me he had already taken the money for the room as he preferred to do this when it was business without me being consulted or present! I was flabbergasted and speechless and so was my friend. I had phoned and asked prior to booking if my debit card would be debited at the booking stage as the website required details which I was reluctant to do if it was not a proper secure site and normally bills are paid on departure. He assured me it would not be debited until departure.

I had also written on my registration details that myself and my friend would be paying by CASH. I then returned after loaded the car to ask for a refund back onto my card, and for myself and my friend to pay separately. Once again we received NO APOLOGY or OTHER!!! And this is the main reason I will never return again.

NOT TO BE TRUSTED AND WENT AGAINST MY WISHES AS A CUSTOMER!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Ascension1932
familyswim, Owner at The Old Forge at Totnes, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

Thank you for your review. We are sorry that you are upset that we took the payment off the card that you secured the booking with.
Our checkout time is 10.30am and if guests wish to pay by a different method, they usually make sure they have paid before then. When it got to 11.00am, and you were nowhere to be found, we took the payment. This is a perfectly reasonable thing for a hotel owner to do.
However, when you came back to complain, my husband refunded the card and took the payment in the way that you wished.

We are very, very insulted by the comments you have made about my husband. You saw very little of him , I took you to your room and spoke to you at breakfast time. How anyone can justify the comments you have made is beyond me.

We have contacted Tripadvisor to complain about this review. They do ask that guests and hotel owners do not make personal insults.
I do hope that other guests will realise that there are always two sides to a story.

Reviewed 23 August 2013

I stayed for two nights, sadly to attend a funeral in Totnes but I was delighted by the Old Forge. I arrived well past 5:00 p.m. starving, and saw that they served cream teas for an amazingly cheap £3.99. The host said it would be no trouble at that time to serve it to me -- although there was tea-making equipment in the room together with a cookie -- and I sat in the lovely garden enjoying my cream tea in the sunshine.
The double bed almost fills the room, and amazingly they have managed to fit a shower, wash-basin and toilet in a tiny space... which might be an issue if you are of large build. All was spotlessly clean and the bed was very comfortable.
I had to leave before 6:00 a.m. but the breakfast I asked for was left for me in the fridge and that's the first time I've ever had that kind of service!
The Old Forge is very conveniently located in a quiet area within a five-minute walk of the centre of town.
I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Apiersa
Reviewed 22 August 2013

This is a very nice and well run B&B, immaculate and the rooms are clean and spotless. Our only minor gripe is that the breakfast is slightly underwhelming. They seem to be skimping a bit on quality - but we would go again

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rainbowkate
familyswim, Owner at The Old Forge at Totnes, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2013

Thank you for the review and pointing out what we work hard to achieve. However, it is disappointing that you felt our breakfast could be better. We have a very extensive menu but if there was anything that we didn't provide, that you required, we would have gone out of our way to provide it.
All our ingredients are locally sourced, our eggs are organic free range and our sausages are made locally to order. We do not skimp in any way, in fact we are always looking for new ideas to include in our breakfasts. Even our coffee is ground especially to order.
We are constantly being praised for our breakfasts so we can only assume that your experience was an isolated incident.
We look forward to meeting you again and hope that you will be more impressed next time!

Reviewed 31 July 2013

This is the third time my wife Sheila and I have stayed at this establishment and again were not disappointed. My daughter and family are a block away so it is very convenient. Having said that it is located two short blocks from the river and the center of this quaint town filled with history and lots of shops. The owners are very attentive to your ever need, while leaving you space to enjoy yourself and the facilities. It is one of the cleanest places we have stayed with very friendly staff. Our room overlooking the garden and church was spotlessly clean, had a great shower and our towels were changed daily. Breakfast was served in a lovely large sun room with views of the garden through huge windows. The breakfast menu is extensive enough to handle the hungry traveller, served to the table and prepared to your specific request. There is a self serve hutch with lots of fruit, yogurt, any form of hot or cold cereal and toast. We live in Canada and as my wife is from Scotland so when booking I asked if she could have Black Pudding with her breakfast and there it was on the first day. If you fancy resting your weary muscles when the dining room is not being used for breakfast the sun room also has a hot tub to soak in. Only reason I did not give the room excellent is there was some limitations on drawer space as we had a lot of luggage for a four week vacation. We stayed at The Old Forge for 6 nights and we will be back! I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Terry W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Totnes
Royal Seven Stars Hotel
#1 of 6 in Dartington
The Steam Packet Inn
The Steam Packet Inn
#5 of 28 in Totnes

Been to The Old Forge at Totnes? Share your experiences!