“Good budget hotel in Bournmouth”
Review of The Hop Inn

The Hop Inn
Ranked #67 of 132 Bournemouth B&B and Inns
Bucks
“Good budget hotel in Bournmouth”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We stayed here over Easter weekend as we were going to a party 5 mins walk away. A friend booked it and when I checked the reviews on TA I was bracing myself for a rough and ready B&B with typical stag / hen type goings on!

We arrived in the reception (which is actually in the bar showing football on big screens), the bar lady / receptionist was very friendly and polite and pointed us the right direction then a friendly cleaner told us where out room was.

I was pleasantly surprised with the room. It was a decent size for a budget hotel in a popular destination and everything was in working order and clean etc. The bed was big and comfortable.

We came back from our party at about 3.30am and if there were any stags/hens they must have passed out by now because it was nice and quiet! I would recommend taking an eye mask as the blinds let in the light in the morning.

We had a good breakfast of eggs / bacon etc, coffee juice and again the waiter was polite and friendly.

I would recommend this hotel is you need a budget base in Bournemouth.

Room Tip: I would recommend taking an eye mask as the blinds let in the light in the morning.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jewels-L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Me and my girlfriend were in this pub couple of weeks ago as we live locally. One of the barmaids was rude and over all very stuck up with her attitude towards me and my girlfriend and made her feel very uncomfortable so we left and went to a pub just down the road. The next day we decided to give it another chance as we did like the atmosphere of the pub we had lunch in the restaurant and was served by a bloke didnt manage to get his name, he was polite and seemed at ease his attitude towards us and others in the establishment was brilliant both me and my partner agreed if it wasnt for that bar maid we would make it our regular. Some of the staff need a refresher of good customer service. We Would only return if this barmaid is not on shift

• Stayed April 2014
Ramsgate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Read a lot of the reviews, both positive and negative, on here about the Hop Inn since arriving back from Bournemouth after my stag do last weekend, as we stayed here.
I agree with both sides of the comments. Great for a stag do if you don't have any additional needs (i.e. can't climb stairs to a room, vegetarian breakfast needed, struggle to sleep around a 'drunken environment', offended by stag-do language!) However, if you have any of those issues, I can see it being a nightmare.
Completely agree with the comment about the night porter - how rude! Didn't believe we stayed there. Why would we be that far out of town, knocking on the door if we didn't!? He did serve us glasses of water though! The bar was serving alcohol at 9am - for another group of lads, not us - not that hardcore!
Beds were comfortable. TV signal was fine. Friendly bar staff / waitresses (even if they didn't agree with the way us south easterners pronounced 'toast'!)
Two issues - as others say - no drinking water from en suite bathroom taps? Very strange. Although one of our party ignored that and he seems fine.
£500 deposit was understandable - stag do parties can be rowdy. But 5 days after our return, I am still chasing my refund as it has maxed out my credit card.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mark T
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

I came to stay on the Saturday of a two night hen do. Upon arrival the 'carpark' consisted of three spaces. So 45 minutes later with no help or direction from the staff I managed to park. Walking in to the hotel, there is no reception to great you, the bar staff gave a snooty look as I tried to carry my bag through the busy bar.

Finding the hotel room I was greeted by the hen in tears over the hotels actions. Accusing us of defacing the hotel... the girls had stuck up photos (with easily removed blutack) in the room... had refused to give clean sheets to guests and to top it off... SHOUTED at a member of our party when simply asked. It put a real dampner on the whole day.

Later we returned, got ready and went to the bar for drinks. We could only stay for one as there is no where to sit and the bar staff again where so rude ot was unsettling.

The morning breakfast was served, when asked for fresh milk the bar maid nodded and carried on talking. The milk didnt arrive and didn't want to risk asking again...

Packing the room up we met the lovely house keeper who was also in shock we were not given clean sheets, the fact worsened when she admitted the landlord had LIED. She offered to replace them, the landlord said we didnt want them.

Such a shame as we choose Bournemouth frequently to stay, but will never consider the Hopp Inn again and will relay to anyone never to stay here.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank familyfb

Travellers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2014

A large group of us stayed here for a hen party. Between us we paid over £2000 over the two nights.

Upon arrival, the first guest to check in was asked to give z deposit of £500 on her credit card (when we had already paid the deposit for the group!).

There were 5 people sharing my room (1 bathroom), and the hotel knew that over the duration of the weekend there would be girls staying for 1 night, then new people staying the second night. The hotel knew this, and had received a full list of names from us.

When we asked the bar staff if the sheets could be changed, the staff were so rude I couldn't believe what I had witnessed. The man shouted and said no - then proceeded to accuse our party of drawing on the pool table with red chalk and said we would get charged for this. As you can imagine, then hen was distraught and upset that her friend would get charged for something we did not do.

When we came downstairs for breakfast I pointed out to the bar staff that I am veggie, and pregnant - and asked if it would be possible to divert from the full breakfast to have something suitable. Well, you would have thought if asked for the earth what with the rolling eyes and unimpressed reaction from the staff.

I stay in hotels and b&bs on a very regular basis for work, and all in all, this has to be the worst hotel I've stayed in and I would never go back - I would recommend the travel lodge just a few buildings down (it's worth it!!).

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Banged
Reviewed 1 April 2014

This hotel is ideal for stags . Went on a stag was perfect didnt stay in so couldn't tell you about the old farts moaning about the noise level as was out after 12am all I could say it was lively atmosphere warm up for going out and I couldn't hear the noise when I went to my room. Bev was excellent during our stay very helpful keep up the good work be back soon

• Stayed March 2014
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Stayed here a few weeks ago with friends whilst in Bournemouth,great location close to town & beach.
Was told up on booking residents late bar would be available but when we arrived back a horrid,rude,confrontational night bar man told us we were misinformed by the management & the bar shuts at midnight to everyone. But it was his decision as he was in charge of the bar & kitchen. He refused to serve us even a soft drink so we went to bed very unhappy & unwelcome & i was very upset with his attitude. Clearly needs customer relations training. That's a lot of money to be missing out on behind the bar. Also i may add we were not drunk,all very sober in fact. Luckily he wasn't there in the morning & the breakfast staff were great. When we asked about the late bar they replied saying he should've served us,he wasn't the manager,just the cook covering the night shift!!
The room was really nice,rest of the staff were lovely,hotel & bar nice & clean. We would stay here again if we assured there would be a different night porter!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends