“Expect the bare minimum”

Royal Bath Hotel Spa
London
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Expect the bare minimum”
Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

To create a fair and balanced review I'll begin with the positive.

On the plus side:
- the hotel is grand with large rooms and talk ceilings
- the location is good and the gardens are kept well.

The frustrations:
- Adults are charged to use the pool even though they are hotel residents. How absurd!
- towels are thin and tiny
- no decaf coffee anywhere... Not available at breakfast nor in little sachets in the room. As I'm pregnant I can only have decaf. Even the most basic B&Bs provide this.
- we had a suite and the outdoor patio area was littered with cigarette butts and roll ups.
- Booked asking for 3 children's beds but only given two.
- Hotel charges £20 to park per night BUT drive up the road and park on a meter for £3 per day.

Summary: if you like to feel special or looked after then this is not the place for you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Perfect spa! ”
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

My mum and I treated ourselves to a spa day for Mother's Day. On arrival we were greeted by 2 very polite therapists who were taking care of our treatments. My mum chose a manicure and pedicure by Claire and commented on how bubbly and friendly she was. I had a back massage and facial by Melissa who was also very bubbly and made me feel very welcome and relaxed. Did not feel rushed or uncomfortable in the slightest! Overall I would definitely return and recommend the spa to anyone looking for a relaxing treat. 5/5!!

1 Thank Abbey_216
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Fastest check in and out ever!!”
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend booked us a romantic get away, we drove 3 hours and had a lovely greeting and car parked for us , we checked in and were given very long instructions as to how to find our room, all good so far, off we went past a very grand lounge area to the lift through grand double doors to a recently glossed corridor in an old part of the hotel then through another door to a corridor which smelt worse than my great aunts nursing home anyway through another door to fresh and new smells of a refurbishment - things were looking up- only to see we had to go down extremely steep and narrow stairs , not easy with luggage. We finally reached our room only to be So Very Dissapointed!!! Room and ensuite smaller than a caravan very cold and hearing buses passing every 30 seconds!! Looking out the window to see we were below road level by the entrance to the car park and for hotel deliveries!!! Back up at reception and No manager on duty we were told it was a standard double - this had No resemblance to photos on website!! We got a refund and left!! Shocking - our car was bought back up and the lovely man who greeted us went off to get a bottle of wine as some apologies but came back empty handed as no duty manager to sign it off!!! Room 210 worst hotel room ever!!!!

1 Thank Jee29
London, United Kingdom
“romantic break away”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

loved the hotel , loved the spa, did not like the leisure manager ? the hotel is very well placed to walk along the beach , and a short walk into the town

Visited March 2014
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Embarrassed for the staff who work here”
Reviewed 11 April 2014

We arrived yesterday afternoon to a horrendous check in at the Royal Bath Spa, a long queue with only 2 people checking in. The lady in front of us had requested 2 rooms next to each other so that she could have one of her children with their grandma.. they were told this was impossible and put at other ends of the hotel - when we checked in afterwards we were given 2 rooms next to each other with an adjoining door. I felt terrible for this lady.

If you have mobility issues this is not the hotel for you, it is a long walk to all the rooms and no help is given with bags. There are also staircases within the walks not covered by lifts which is tricky with bags. As a result of the walks, if you do book here, please be careful with the room keys as they de-acitvate when near mobile phones, we were on the third floor and I had to ask my colleague to go back to get me another key as it was too far for me to walk again.

My room was cold (the reception staff told me that head office had cut off the heating). As was the shower (which was a dribble) I tried to use the alternative as the shower head connected to the bath, again the water was cold and I couldn't get the pipe wouldn't reach to have a 'decent wash'.

Also there is no room service despite the menu in the rooms advertising this - not great for business guests who may have had a long day and then exhausted themselves walking to the room.

We actually considered eating at the restaurant, one of which looked nice and faced onto the road, funnily enough this restaurant (the only decent room in the hotel) is never used - i joked with my colleague that perhaps the hotel inspector program had visited and they had done up one room and then not bothered with the rest of the hotel! The other alternative looked so depressing that we decided to go out instead and not risk it.

We did however decide to go for a quick drink on our way out in the bar which turned into a complete disaster. We could not pay by card so had to go back to reception to swipe my card again and then go back to the bar to get a drink. We had the house wine which tasted terrible, i couldn't finish the glass..

On to breakfast, 2 staff working in a large hotel, poor quality sausage and bacon. Tea and coffee served in flasks and left on your table i imagine to save costs on labour.

I'm so disappointed and I want a full refund. I gave feedback at the desk and no one offered a refund for this poor experience.

What is really sad is that clearly the staff are nice people, the hotel owners are trying to get every last bit of profit out of the business by cutting back on staff, cutting back on quality and not being proud or passionate about what they do. It really frustrates me that people can run their businesses like this. It is unsatisfactory and appalling. I hope this review helps to kick things into action, there is only so long you can run your business like this before it goes completely down the pan. Act now before it's too late.

Visited April 2014