“Could be so much better. ”

Royal Bath Hotel Spa
Hythe, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Could be so much better. ”
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed as part of a group visiting on business and were initially impressed. However the rooms were of variable quality with the area I was in needing some attention. The mirror in the lift was broken and taped up. However a step through the fire door to the next area and the decor was much better including the lift.
Dinner was awful with dried up food on a self service buffet and staff so inattentive that we ended up clearing our own plates away.
The pool and gym were okay, but unlike most hotels, you have to pay extra to use it every day.

4 Thank Curran56

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
London, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Worst hotel I've ever been to”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Once I went to Paris on low budget and I booked a hostel which turned out to be a dodgy little place where the bathroom was only open 2 hours a day and the sink got clogged the second day and we were incredibly cold the whole time. I would rather go back there than to The Royal Hotel in Bournemouth. The highlight of my stay was when after telling the staff I was vegan, I got offered salmon.

Visited June 2014
4 Thank BorokaMate
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great Value for Money”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

My partner booked a night at this hotel via an offer site and we went for a night with friends in May. I was a bit apprehensive having radMy partner booked a night at this hotel via an offer site and we went for a night with friends in May. I was a bit apprehensive having rad the other reviews but have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Yes, it is an old hotel and there are some signs of wear and tear but on the whole we were very impressed. The staff were largely friendly and efficient. We were upgraded to Junior Suites, which were lovely and the hotel is ideally located being just minutes walk form both the beach and the town. Food was also very good. Would definitely go again. the other reviews but have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Yes, it is an old hotel and there are some signs of wear and tear but on the whole we were very impressed. The staff were largely friendly and efficient. We were upgraded to Junior Suites, which were lovely and the hotel is ideally located being just minutes walk form both the beach and the town. Food was also very good. Would definitely go again.

London, United Kingdom
“hotel with potential”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Stayed at the Royal Bath for a couple of days, great location, walking distance to the beach and so close to the town centre.
This place has a lot of potential and i am sure used to be a grant hotel in the past.
For this building to regain his class the staff such as bar, restaurant, reception staff need training even their deputy managers as they do not seem to know what explanation to give to guests.
Some of the staff are easy to talk and helpful like Gary attentive, friendly as well as rushing off his feet but still delivered an excellent service.
I will go stay again as it is a good value when you just need a room for the night.

Maidstone
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“A hotel in decline”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Last visited this hotel when it was a luxury hotel owned by the de vere chain what a disappointment when we revisited. Booked a family room when we arrived we were allotted room 123, we were told the rooms (in the basement) were recently completed. The room was large with a double and single bed, a sofa and plenty of room for a desk and dressing table. However, he room is in the basement and looks onto a wall which faces a roundabout, there is no double glazing so the whole room shakes when cars and busses pass. The curtains did not close and as for the bathroom floor - don't think it had ever been cleaned! We were told the hotel was full and that we could not move rooms! We decided to go swimming only to find that swimming is an 'extra' costing 4.00 per guest and towels are another 1.00 - I have never ever been to a hotel which charges guests to use the pool! We tried on a couple of occasions to contact the reception as our keys would not work and we had no towels it is pointless the phones ring and ring, the ladies on reception (2) looked harassed and were very short tempered with queues of guests complaining. To give the hotel it's due the public areas and garden remain beautiful and the breakfast was good and plentiful but again staff seemed overworked and stressed and many had v poor English!

Would we go back no! Why there are many many hotels in bournemouth a million times better! If u get a deal and it's cheap then go but don't expect anything special!

3 Thank Edward N