“Not Bad”

Ranked #103 of 132 Bournemouth B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Not Bad”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We stayed at Boscombe Reef for the weekend and everything was ok. There's parking right outside the front and if those spaces are taken there are more on offer a little further up the road.
The staff were friendly although at 09:31 the housekeeper would shout out that breakfast is over and will put everything away, fairly strict some might say.
In regards to breakfast selection I have to agree with the other reviews that it's fairly limited. You have a choice of cereals, white and brown bread along with butter and jam.
The rooms themselves are ok, fairly small space-wise and if you are tall you will struggle to fit on the bed but other than that no issues.
Location-wise it's a 10 minute walk to the beach and an £8 taxi ride into Bournemouth town centre.
Overall no complaints but would most likely stay elsewhere if we returned to Bournemouth again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Let me begin by stating what I liked there. I liked that you had a parking space in front of the hotel and patio on the back garden, where I could drink my morning coffee. I liked the location (big plus) and I loved the staff- very pleasant, helpful and friendly indeed.

Well I didn't like the rest (and I am trying to be nice here). Very poor breakfast (as for the food there was choice of cornflakes or jam, and that is it), thin walls and high noise levels don't give you any privacy what so ever. Rooms made to very poor standard, the cheapest way possible. If I knew, I would prefer to pay more and go somewhere else. I am very sorry the Boscombe Reef Hotel, I do budget stays often, but that was by far my most regretful choice of accommodation.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Karolina S

Travellers are raving about these Bournemouth hotels

Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend and I stayed here for eight days while visiting her grandmother.
The owner was very nice and friendly and was very accommodating to us. The hotel is only a short stroll to the beach and local shops,a great location.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Peter P
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Me and 2 mates stayed here for a bit of a random weekend away - We bought the hotel last minute for £193 through bookings.com for 2 nights - Which I thought wasn't too bad when you share that between 3.

When we arrived, I was told to park up the street at a different hotel, which was fine as the other owner had obviously agreed this before hand. When we arrived, we were greeted by the housekeeper who didn't really have much of a sense of humour. This became more obvious when we were read, what felt like our rights. She starting reeling off a list of rules, most of which were "donts" and short of 'Do Not Breath too loudly', most of which were quite ridiculous.

After our first night out, we arrived back (albeit quite early in the morning) and returned to our room. Problem is, there is no real quiet way of re-entering the building. The floorboards are so aged that you could drop a piece of paper on them and it would make a noise. Anyway, this upset some very and quite frankly arrogant neighbours who complained to the owner.

Come 10am the next day, he comes bowling in the room, giving us about 15 seconds to wake up before he enters. His first words were "we've got a problem here boys, haven't we?" - Now, after the previous nights festivities, I was struggling to fathom his tan, his attitude and his our demeanor in such a state. Also, I was laying there in all my glory, if you get my drift..

Nonetheless, he proceeded to tell us that this problem involved the noise we made on entry that night - He also proceeded to demand £40 each off of us for our troubles. Where he got this figure from, we will never know. His response when challenged was "that's just what it is" - Now, we were all reasonable guys and tried to negotiate a little and apologise but this was pointless, he had it in his mind that he wanted that money. Bless him, he even left a little bucket in the room for us to put it in and told us he would be back in 30 minutes and he wanted the money in there.

At this point I wasn't sure if we were being robbed or it was just a bad dream. Either way, we had to pay it and from that point onwards the stay was just overall uncomfortable. It felt like we were staying in a dictatorship. You could've mistaken it for somewhere like a North Korean embassy.

On the day of check out, come 1 second past the check-out time (10am), there was a knock at the door saying it was time to leave. 10am in itself is a ridiculous time to check out but they were adamant we had to go. After all check in is at 4pm and 6 hours is nowhere near enough time to run a hoover round...

Overall, I'd just avoid Bournemouth as a whole. The people aren't great, the place isn't great and by god, the Boscombe Reef Hotel just about puts the cherry on the cake for me.

Lovely guy though, can't fault him.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank LewisH92
pookeyster, Owner at Boscombe Reef Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
THE £40 WORKED, DIDNT IT GUYS ??? Unlike most hotels in Bournemouth, we will not allow drunk, disrespectful and inconsiderate people to disrupt the peace and enjoyment of our guests. You were quiet as mice the following night and all our guests slept soundly. The housekeeper asked you politely to respect our other guests on your arrival as you were already drunk. You decided not to so we then had to treat you like children and bound you over for £40 each to behave like adults. You lost the room key and your personal keys and rang me up like a lost child asking for help. Then you write a nasty review. Well done......mummy and daddy must be very proud of you !!
liskeard
Reviewed 17 May 2014

When we arrived and were shown to our room we could not bring ourselves to stay, management would not refund prepaid rate,
fully deserves the terrible rating that this site offers.
Although the facilities looked clean enough were poor,tired and overrated.
We visit Bournemouth often and a lot better can accommodation is available at less cost.
Avoid

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank alan p
pookeyster, Owner at Boscombe Reef Hotel, responded to this review, 8 September 2014
THIS PERSON HAS NEVER STAYED AT THE HOTEL ! ..... Police were called and they were removed from the reception area.
Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

First impressions were great as the girl showing us our room and the facilities was really friendly & welcoming. I explained that we wouldn't be staying for breakfast as we 'd be leaving at 4am and she offered to leave some bits out for us to eat before we left. We also got a key to the front door which was great as we could come and go as we pleased. Room was basic but clean and tidy. We were just staying in order to catch an early morning flight from airport so adequate for our purposes. Stayed on top floor where facilities are shared with other guests, again not bothered! Our room was next to quad room and the lady did say that there were 4 girls staying so if they were noisy to go and inform her. Oh my word they were noisy! On a hen do I presume. They arrived just after we did and proceeded to get ready to go out so there was shouting/screaming/hair dryers going. We endured it because we knew they would be off out and that we would get some peace until the early hours when we would need to be awake anyway. This place is fab for a hen do or a stag do to be honest but I wouldn't stay for a holiday.

• Stayed April 2014
Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

Although the b&b was clean and friendly l felt the room was spartan and the breakfast inadequate.

The ensuite was within the room space, had no ventilation and only had a sliding wardrobe door seperating it from the rest of the room.

There were no tea or coffee making facilities in the room. Also there were no bedside tables, bedside lights or wardrobe and the small window had frosted glass.

However for me the biggest negative was the breakfast, which is included in the room price. I was expecting a cooked breakfast, as is the norm in the Bournemouth area. It is described on the notice pinned to your door as "continental style". What is on offer is tea, coffee, bread/toast, variety pack cerials and whole apples / bananas. That was more or less it.

There are many good quality b&bs / budget hotels in the area but sadly I cant say the Boscombe gReef Hotel is one.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends