“A great hotel for cancer patients”
Review of The Grove Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bournemouth
The Grove Hotel
Ranked #13 of 131 Bournemouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 September 2013

The grove is a great place for cancer patients and their family or friends and even on Their own. The staff are so kind, friendly and understanding, the rooms are spotless the food 5star the service faultless. The staff and other residents made us feel right at home. Highly recommended and I will be going back for another 5star experience:)))

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 16 September 2013

With a life limiting illnrss holidaying alone can be difficult, the Grove was able to meet all my needs and some more. Every aspect of my stay from the excellent food, spotless room, nice gardens were there to be enjoyed, but most of all the staff were exceptional. From the young lady who took care of my room, the reception staff, resturant staff and the nursing team all made me feel safe secure and welcome to share this unique hotel.
With luck I will be there again next year, well done.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Maria J
Reviewed 16 September 2013

My wife and I have just returned from a very enjoyable short stay at the Grove Hotel. We cannot recommend it enough. The staff were so caring and friendly and nothing was too much trouble. Our room was spotless and everything you could wish for was available including dressing gowns, slippers, flat screen TV and tea and coffee making facilities. There were even reclining chairs in the lounge for your comfort, lovely gardens and a beach hut overlooking the beautiful sands which was accessible via the cliff lift which was a short stroll from the hotel. The varied menu was excellent and the bar was a great surprise. We had a wonderful few days and will be returning soon.

1  Thank john s
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Finding out about this hotel in the Oncology department of the Kent and Canterbury hospital, we thought it looked inviting, and decided to give it a go. Get your GP to confirm your illness on the application form, you can't go unless you are suffering from cancer or a life threatening illness, although your family/carers can accompany you, and go and enjoy, as we did, what will probably be the best hotel you have ever stayed in in your life. Everything is superb, from the welcome that you will receive to the farewell hugs and good wishes. Food, attention from the caring staff, the rooms, the free bus trips - nothing can be faulted. We have had two holidays there, and a third is already booked. Bournemouth is a pleasant place, and has great bus services for you to use your bus pass on, with plenty of nearby places of interest to visit. Ill with a life threatening disease? Get yourself booked in ! But one warning - this hotel is for the less able, not for the still very active person - no swimming pool or fitness centre.

Mike and Maureen, Sept. 2013

Room Tip: Try a superior upgrade - well worth it.
2  Thank Michael B
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Having stayed in many first-class hotels during my working life I was amazed at the standard of The Grove. Decor and cleanliness were beyond reproach, the food was excellent, but, what made it a stand-out experience was the staff. They were/are fantastic. Nothing fazed them and they went beyond what one could normally expect in order to make our stay absolutely delightful: and all done with a smile. As for the clientele, you could expect people with their range of problems to be less than happy with their lot. How wrong you'd be. They were cheerful and hugely enthusiastic about their holiday, in no small measure due to the attitude of the staff as mentioned earlier.

2  Thank Mike E
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We stayed the weekend of the airshow and were very lucky that the hotel is so close to the front - not that we could see much due to the vast number of visitors. The hotel was a haven of peace and we had excellent accommodation and truly superb food. There is an excellent wine list. The chef will cater for special diets and food presentation is cookery book front cover standard.

I recommend that people look at the Groves video to truly appreciate what is on offer. There was an excellent singer on the Sunday evening. The staff's friendliness and helpfulness is outstanding.

There are cards, postcards and numerous souvenirs for sale. I bought the tee shirt and will be a walking advert next time I am in hospital.

The garden is lovely and they had built a path around the edge of the garden since the last time I was there and there are plans for a wishing well and some loungers subject to funds. Would be lovely if people donated and is there any free volunteer labour? Brenden the manager has a wicked sense of humour and will no doubt supervise whilst sitting on chair with a whip. Watch out for Brenden - he has a great gift for emptying your purse for raffle tickets and raffle prizes are always welcome.

The hotel is completely self funding so every penny counts. Luckily as a charity they do not have to pay VAT. There is a nurse on hand to give advice and general support if needed. It is not a nursing home and the clients make their own way to tables or are assisted by their own carer. There are even free trips out in the hotel's coach and free wifi in the hotel.

The Grove won an Aspire award - there should be more hotels giving the same service.

Room Tip: The lifts serve the majority of rooms. There are about four steps to go down for the few rooms not...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 August 2013

what can I say about the grove well the staff are all very nice, friendly and helpful nothing is to much trouble no matter how big or small. its so good to no the nurse are there if you need them
not only for my Husband but for me as well for advice and comfort. And its 24 hours a day.
my mum and dad used to stay at the grove and they were the one's to tell me all about it and how
much they enjoyed there self and how they could not wait to go back some time's two or three time's a year. sadly they have both pass now but I am able to go because my husband is not a well man we can't wait to go again at Christmas this will be are third time and both hope it will
continue for a long time to come. We both feel that everyone at the grove are our extended family. Dawn and Mac Mccaghrey

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter. corner suites are large and sunny. But I am sure if you tell t...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple