“Lovely hotel for our romantic weekend near the beach”
Review of Carisbrooke Hotel

Carisbrooke Hotel
Ranked #76 of 132 Bournemouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 March 2012

I spent a weekend at this hotel with my boyfriend and had a fanatastic time. The rooms were lovely and clean with all the facilities that you would expect. The staff were so friendly and helpful and gave us excellent advice about the best places to go and visit including great recommendations on the local restaurants. With every request we made they went out of their way to try and help us out.

Breakfast was perfect and just what we needed to start the day, they were more than willing to accomodate me at breakfast (I am a fussy vegetarian).

I would definitely return as apart from the staff being lovely, it is so close to Bournemouth and the beaches, perfect location at a great price! In addition, the free parking was a great benefit.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 March 2012

I have stayed at the Carisbrooke Hotel twice now and would not hesitate to recommend it to my friends and family, in fact my grandmother is going to stay down there this summer!

The first time I stayed was with friends for a party weekend and we booked one of the three person en-suite rooms, the second time was with my boyfriend for a romantic valentine’s week and we stayed in the Tregonwell suite.

The prices are VERY reasonable for a central Bournemouth B&B with free parking and a full English breakfast! There are no hidden costs here. I feel from reading some of these other reviews that perhaps some people have champagne tastes but beer pockets…

So, here is my review of the hotel:

SERVICE - The service from the owners and staff is second to none; you would never get such a personal service at any of the bigger or chain hotels. Nick and Emily the owners and managers really love their hotel and it is apparent in everything they do. They both have a great local knowledge and are always on hand with a recommendation for where to go or to give you directions. We saw a few other members of staff serving in the restaurant and on reception, they were a bit younger and came across as a bit quieter but were polite and helpful at all times.

When I went with my friends we were able to get free entrance into one of the local nightclubs, but when my boyfriend and I asked at the last minute if we could get some tickets they were out, so I think the key here is if this is something you are interested in try and mention it as early as possible!

CAR PARK – The car park is at the front of the hotel on the forecourt so isn’t massive, but it’s free and that is a real rarity in this town! The guys really do try and get as many cars on as possible and since my parking isn’t all that great I just gave my keys to Nick and he parked it for me -fab! When I stayed with my boyfriend there was a stag party at the hotel one night and the car park was full, there is however a really large NCP car park at the bottom of the hill (perhaps also consider using this if your car is so large you might run over the staff!) which was very helpful.

BREAKFAST – Breakfast was fantastic every morning, the dining room is clean and we were always promptly asked whether we wanted tea or coffee and show the juice and cereal selection on the side.

ROOMS – Fresh linen and towels, comfortable beds and clean bathrooms. Tea, coffee (and hot chocolate!) making facilities and plenty of plug sockets to pop your straighteners/hair dryer in, flat screen TVs and free WiFi – I’m not sure what more you can expect from a B&B?!

I will agree that some of the rooms are a bit dated, the owners bought the hotel a few years ago and are doing it up bit by bit so I would definitely recommend speaking to them about your requirements. When I stayed with my girlfriends the priority was that the three of us could share a room and no-one was left out, we ended up having one of the rooms which had been recently done up so the bathroom was very modern with a white suite and new shower, however when I stayed with my boyfriend we wanted a bit more space so we could spend time in the room together, we went for the Tregonwell Suite which is the room pictured on the website, and it was lovely. The bathroom is one of the older styles with a mixer shower, but the room is so nicely decorated (it feels more like a boutique hotel!) it more than makes up for it.

LOCATION – This to me is the second best thing about the hotel after the service, it’s not the place to stay if you want a room with a view of the sea, but it’s the place to be if you want to walk down the hill and be standing in the middle of everything Bournemouth has to offer- the beaches, the shops, the clubs, and the restaurants. It’s also close enough to the main roads if you want to go a bit further out for the day.

WEBSITE – The website is my least favourite thing about the hotel, the picture is of the Tregonwell suite which is lovely, but at the moment you can’t see the other rooms and there is no online booking facility. It says it is under construction at the moment, so I look forward to seeing what the new website has to offer.

BAR – We didn’t really use the bar / lounge room very much and I think as most people go out into town they don’t have a full time bar person, however the one evening my boyfriend and I did want to go for a drink the stag party were also having a few bevvies in there. At first I was a bit worried, but the whole atmosphere of the hotel seems to rub off on everyone and we were soon chatting away with the lads and Nick behind the bar like old friends!

Overall, Bournemouth has so much to offer that you will never be bored and this is a great place to stay whatever type of holiday you are looking for - I’m amazed at how they manage to cater for all types of guest – there were families, couples, party groups and business people each time I stayed. Thanks to the reliable, hardworking great team, this is one of those places you can come back to time and time again.

I’m really excited for the owners with their new baby and renovations well under way and I look forward to seeing how they develop this lovely gem of a hotel.

All the best to the team and hope to see you again soon.

Nicola (June 2011 & February 2012)

PS -Interestingly enough the Hotel Inspector did visit one of the other B&Bs on this road, her suggestions were to paint the dining room pink and charge people to hire towels!! I think I will stick with the Carisbrooke thanks!!

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel are double glazed so if you are a light sleeper these might be best...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nicola K
Reviewed 12 March 2012

I paid £50 for a room here via Late Rooms and naively believed we were getting a reduced rate and value for money. Instead I feel we were overcharged for a room worth half it's value!
I am not in the habit of complaining or whinging but... for the benefit of future potential guests... only stay here if you are really desperate for a room.
The staff are really friendly and helpful, if a little obsessed with car parking space (we have a 4x4 truck) and they pleaded that we try very hard to keep within the parking line spaces out the front. We would've run her over if we had of parked immediately within the space on arrival!
Up the rickety stairs to our room (12a) where, on a sunny day, the radiator was on. I opened the windows and one almost tilted and fell out! Obviously a problem as the net curtains were already torn!
We run the tap to fill the kettle... the water was brown so... we didn't proceed!
We opened the cupboard aka bathroom and the toilet was dirty and was in desperate need of some bleach.
There was mould all over the shower walls.
There were only two pillows on the bed (tried to find the night porter for more @ appx 1am but he/she wasn't about). We had one each. Also, the bed had no headboard.
There were many dead flies in the main light shade.
One of the wall fixed bedside lights was without a pully/string.
There was a constant stench of old cooking fat perhaps from a cooking area below us.
Woodchip wallpaper had been overlapped and patched up in places before being painted magnolia.
On a plus, the two small towels and bed linen were white & clean but this hotel needs the hotel inspector in and a suggestion that 'attention to detail' is considered.
The full English breakfast... one each of bacon, fried egg, sausage, hash brown and stodgy baked beans was not up for negotiation (I asked for poached egg). The tea & toast were ok.
All in all, even for a quick trip, I WILL spend more time reading reviews prior to booking confirmation in future and won't be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MrsAitchQ
CBHotel, Owner at Carisbrooke Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2012

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay with us although I am pleased that you found our staff really friendly and helpful and the towels and bedding clean.

We like to check that guests are happy, as we did with you, just after check-in and again on check-out. We are sorry that you did not mention any issues then as our helpful staff would have done all they could do to improve the experience for you during your stay.

We also strive to maintain high housekeeping standards so I am sorry that these were not met in your room. We have taken your comments on board and rectified all the issues that you mentioned.

Our aim is to be budget accommodation in a prime location as we are just a few minutes’ walk from the beach and town centre. You were staying to attend a black tie do in Sandbanks and did not have an opportunity to take advantage of the location. I hope that, if you had, you may have felt that your stay was more value for money.

We also offer free onsite parking to our guests. We did ask you to re-park your car as it was taking up more than one parking space. We did not mean to offend you but just to ensure that another guest could park in the space next to you.

Reviewed 10 March 2012

The pictures on the website of the rooms are nothing like what they are. 2 of us had made a reservation, we clearly indicated we wanted a room each and the staff attempted to persuade us to go into 1 room. When we arrived at the hotel the receptionist was very helpful advising us where to go, how to get into the town and where to eat etc. She also advised us that as we stay at the hotel we get free entrance into one of the towns biggest nightclubs which we were happy with, but when we left to go to the town and asked another receptionist she told us that they had no tickets for it which was disappointing. The wall paper was falling off in one of the rooms where the towel rail looked as though it was going to fall off, there was a hole in the bed linen, the curtain rail was also broken in one of the rooms. The hotel has an on site licensed bar which we were told opens at 12pm and closes at 12 am, we went to have an afternoon drink at 4pm and had to wait 10 minutes to be served, not because it was busy but because the receptionist has to come in to serve you, when we finally got served we had to wait another 5 minutes because there was no ice or lemonade. We couldn't understand why there was no bar person as the notice on the door said hotel full so personally I think they should have been ready for customers. the beds were very comfortable and the bathrooms were clean. Breakfast is served 8.30 - 10am, we walked into the restaurant were told to sit anywhere so we sat by the window and the waitress approached us asking us not to sit there and to move, we were offered drinks and then asked wether we were ready for our cooked breakfast. We weren't offered any alternative I.e wether there was a vegetarian option. When breakfast arrived it consisted of 1 sausage, 1 rasher of bacon, 1 over cooked egg, over cooked beans, 1 hash brown and a slice of toast. Overall I don't think the stay was worth £40 per room per night, there is a lot of competition in Bournemouth and I think this hotel has a lot of work to do if they want to keep their heads
Above water

• Stayed: March 2012

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay with us although I am pleased that you found the beds very comfortable, the staff helpful and you comment on good cleanliness.

We also strive to maintain high housekeeping standards so I am sorry that these were not met in one of your rooms. We have taken your comments on board and rectified all the issues that you mentioned.

To address some particular points in your review:

1. At check-in your group number had dropped from 4 to 2 girls for your double and twin rooms. Apologies if you misunderstood our intention, but we planned to save you money and refund the other room if you wished to share one room. It is not our usual policy to accept cancellations last minute but we thought, in the circumstances, it would be a kind gesture of goodwill.

2. There was a breakdown in communication between two of our staff for which I apologise. We offered you free entry to a popular nightspot when you checked-in. We then discovered that our supply of free entry tickets had run out. Our receptionist was informed that, if you wished to go, to apologise for the lack of tickets but to explain that arrangements could be made for the Hotel manager to telephone the venue manager to put you on the guestlist. This was not relayed to you in full and I apologise if this impacted on your night out in Bournemouth.

3. The pictures on the website that you booked through are recent and honest pictures of our Hotel and rooms and, in particular, include pictures of one of the rooms that you stayed in so I am surprised and sorry that you felt they were not a true representation of your rooms.

Reviewed 7 November 2011

the room i stayed in, was room 24 & was ok, but it needed updating, the windows are hard to open & close, but the room was clean, & coffee tea & sugar was ample, also a large bed & very comfortable too, breakfast was standard , i found all the staff very pleasant, the only negative was that there some younger guests sitting in the upper hallways of an evening & being a little noisy, otherwise fine.

Room Tip: maybe request rooms above the resturant & not the rooms that are red fronted to the left, if you...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank grahamg1116
Reviewed 30 September 2011

We chose to stay at the Carisbrooke Hotel for a 2 night break after reading the many good reviews and especially as we were in a group of 3 friends who wanted to stay in a triple room and they were able to provide us with an ensuite triple room.
The good points, the first has to be the very friendly and welcoming owner when we arrived, he told us of the good restaurants to try and directions around the area. The location of the hotel was ideal for us as it meant that we could leave the car in the hotel’s free car park (which seem to be few and far between in Bournemouth!) and walk to the beach and town.
The not so good points, the first has to be the room (The Dorset Suite!) it was a triple room in so much that it did have 3 very tiny beds and if you rolled over in the night you fell out the side!(by the way I am a very tiny person as well) We were a bit disappointed that there wasn’t enough storage space for 3 people and had to leave most of our things in our luggage bags, which we had to pile at the end of one of the beds to avoid tripping over them. Single glazed window which had black mould along the bottom, the same was for the window in the bathroom. The guttering was broken outside of the bedroom window and we could hear the water dripping from it all night after it had been raining during the previous day. In the ensuite bathroom there was a shower over the bath which was connected to the taps, it was a very old fitment and when you eventually could get the taps to turn on it was difficult to regulate the water flow and temperature safely so we ended up using the shower room at the bottom of our stairs as it was quicker and safer. We were only left bath towels each and not any hand towels, not even one in the bathroom to dry our hands. When we asked at reception for some hand towels we were told that they didn’t have any so they gave us one extra bath towel. The room décor was dated and the wall paper was peeling away from the wall in small areas, the carpet looked old and tatty and there was a mirror on the wall with trimming around it which keep falling off onto the bed below it. For breakfast we were offered a full English breakfast, cereal, fruit juice and toast, tea or coffee, all were of a very cheap standard. As one of our party is a vegetarian she asked if she could substitute the sausage and bacon for tomato and/or mushrooms as these were not included with the full English, she was told by the waitress that they didn’t have any so she had to have an extra hash brown.
We appreciate that the new owners haven’t been running this hotel for long and took it over in a right state and probably have plans to do up all of the rooms over a period of time, so this isn’t a review to put anybody off staying there. It’s just an honest account of our stay. I’m sure that not all of the bedrooms are like the one that we had. The windows at the front of the building all seemed to be double glazed and this is what you see when you go on the internet to book, you never get to see the rear of the property. If it were my hotel, I would do away with calling some of the rooms suites as a suite should be more than a room with just a few beds and a wardrobe in the corner, a suite to me is a room with more space and furniture than a standard hotel room including a small table and chairs, somewhere to sit and relax and even extra rooms off of the main room. I would also include coat hooks behind the bedroom door as on the days that we stayed it did rain and there was no where to hang your wet coats apart from in the little wardrobe which was already full to capacity.
All in all we had a great time in Bournemouth but next time we would probably end up paying a bit more and stay in a Premier Inn as that way you know what to expect, I know that you have to pay for your breakfast but to be honest we don’t mind that to get a better choice.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank chellessb
Reviewed 19 September 2011

Arrived at the Carisbrooke on Monday 12th September for two nights before our onward journey to Brighton on Wednesday.
We were greeted by both the hoteliers, and what a lovely warm welcome we recieved!
Both of them are are so friendly and welcoming, such a lovely couple!
Our room was nice, big family room on the ground floor (Room 4). There was a double bed,a single bed and ensuite shower room and all the other facilities you would expect to see ie tea making, tv, extra blankets/pillows etc. We were more than happy with our room, it was clean, and comfortable.
The staff are friendly and helpful and polite at all times. Nick the hotel manager was exceptionally helpful and on our first day showed us a map of Bournemouth and where all the attractions are and the restaurants in the area and took the time to speak to us when he saw us and always asked how we were and if we were ok.
The breakfast was lovely, very tastey and cooked to perfection everyday,very consistent, just wished there was a little more of some things as you only got one of everything as it was so nice but thats probably just us being greedy, and would be more than enough for most people!
Didnt see much of the communal areas such as the bar because we went out mostly but the restaurant and what we did see seemed fine, again clean and comfortable.
Had some lovely meals out in some local restaurants on Nicks reccomendations. There are plenty of restaurants within a stones throw away and a shop and pubs.
So, taking all this into consideration we were having a wonderful time when disaster struck and our car decided to break down on us on the second day!
It ended up being the head gasket and was going to have to go into a garage for a few days to be fixed which left us in a bit of a dilemma being that we were suopposed to be leaving in the morning for the two and a half hour trip to Brighton! So as the car was getting towed away Nick asked us what the problem was and immediately suggested that we could continue our stay with them if that is what we decided to do. So amazingly our room happened to be free for the rest of the week and Nick let us stay at a discounted rate for as many nights as we needed with breakfast included! We felt this was very genorous and really helped us out a LOT! Nick and his wife were so helpful in the following days and always so concerned and kind when thay saw us. We were so appreciative of there hospitality.
So we ended up staying at the Carisbrooke for four nights all in all and cancelling our Brighton trip which was dissapointing but at the same time we still ended up having a great time due to the hospitality we were shown at the hotel and dont know what we would have done without it!
We have never written a review of a hotel before as we never felt the need and consider that most of the people that write the reviews are just too eager to whine and complain and put down the places that they stay uneccessarily! But we felt we had to write to show our thanks and appreciation of what a lovely place this is and what a wonderful couple! There dedication is quite something and we couldnt believe how hard they worked. There was ALWAYS one of them avaliable if you needed to ask anything form early morning to late at night (very unusal in our experience of B+B's) and even though they have a very young son who must keep them execptionally busy! All in all, a somewhat unplanned, but wonderful time at The Carisbrooke Hotel. We wish them all the best, and a big 'THANKYOU!' : )

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple