“Great ribs!”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Just close to the pier is this 'surfers' place.
Unfortunately we had to sit inside because the outside terrace was full. And it was hot that day!
The menu has lots of choices. But, when it has ribs, we will try the ribs. So we did and we were very pleased with the quality and the taste. One of the best ribs we ever had. Lots of meat and good flavor. Although they forgot to bring our drinks the staff was very helpful.
When you are around a visit at this place is a must!

2  Thank Renevb

Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

My first trip here will be my last.
My fiance and some friends went here on recommendation for evening dinner.
The atmosphere was warm and welcoming along with being laid back.
How ever after sitting for a while I noticed there were quite a few staff standing around not looking busy and looking like they were having to find things to do all be it was quite busy.
We ordered nachos for starter which were nice and presented well. I ordered 2 starters for my main as I'm gluten free and there wasn't a great deal I could have on the menu. I found for starters they were quite over priced. 6.50 each. I had chicken wings and sweet peppers with feta cheese and chorizo. The chorizo was like a piece of rubber and had enough garlic to ward off vampires for life and was greasy and inedible. The feta was melted in the peppers and they were very oily and had an unpleasant strong taste. The chicken wings were Ok but slightly greasy and the BBQ sauce was salty n quite strong too.
I like my flavors but it was over powering. The bill for 4 of us was extravagant nearly the 100 mark.
It's a shame the food wasn't nicer as the atmosphere was good. Sorry but won't be going back.

3  Thank Sunbeamsfairy
Eucalypta100, Manager at Reef Encounter, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Oh dear! What a pity you didn't feel able to bring this massively extensive list of our apparent failings to our attention at the time when we might perhaps have been able to do something about it for you. It's certainly a first, too, to receive criticism that there were too MANY staff ready to serve you for your liking!

Reviewed 27 July 2014

I live local to Reefy, Reef Encounter, as I like to call it and eat here often. What I hadn't ever had before was their soup, I mean with succulent and juicy burgers, a wonderful chorizo starter and cocktails to make anyone smile I hadn't felt the need. Today my mum and I felt hungry but not that hungry (lunchtime) so we ordered the vine ripened tomato and chilli soup. It was the best soup I have ever had. I am a big soup lover, having enjoyed my own homemade and of course local restaurant bowls, and asked for the recipe. The staff at Reefy are so lovely I got it.So if you are a soup connoisseur like me head down Sea Road and stop off at Reef Encounter! You won't be disappointed.

1  Thank aestheticvoyager76
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

The only reason I gave this review instead of terrible was that the service was ok. 13 British pounds for a tiny hamburger that is dry and tasteless is unacceptable. The main thing is this bar/restaurant has going for it is its location. Near the beach.

1  Thank tobaccocay
Eucalypta100, Manager at Reef Encounter, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Thank you for your review. Had you let us know that you were dissatisfied when we checked with you, we would have been more than happy to replace your meal.

We think our burgers are far from tiny, as you suggest, being eight ounces of farm-assured UK-reared beef, and we are in fact jealous of the reputation we have for their quality and presentation. The special version you had for £13 included Swiss cheese and ham, with iceberg lettuce, fresh cut beef tomato, cucumber, red onion, mayonnaise and pickled cucumber. As with all our burgers, it is served with a side of coleslaw and mug of shoestring fries.

Again, had you let us know at the time that this was not to your liking, we would have been pleased to try to rectify the situation for you.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Frequent here on our trips to Bournemouth. Odd attempt at being a surfers hangout, but makes the atmosphere unique in the UK. Very fresh, very nicely done food/menu. The salmon may be one of the best I've every had. Nice fresh chips, very good burgers. Very casual (good) and friendly service (though spotty on efficiency). They have board games and other friendly hang-out amusement items, decent bar area. Lots of locals and sometimes with pets.

1  Thank rsmacdon