“Cannot recommend it”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bournemouth
Hamilton Hall Men Only Hotel
Reviewed 5 August 2013

It is far away from places of interest, the garden is tiny, the touted home made food is not that good, most of the building is poky but main culprit is the owner. Beware that the "deep conversations" is mainly moaning about previous guest, or anyone else on Earth, who have failed to meet his expectations.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
55  Thank Rachmael B
slammer9, Owner at Hamilton Hall Men Only Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2013

Anonymous reviews like this just amuse as it is in complete contrast to everyone elses opinions. Just read some of the other reviews to see the contrast. . So I really do not need to say anything else about this review except maybe, I feel sorry for the customer, that he had such a miserable time but then, that really is not my concern - as only he creates his own reality and why - in that case - did he create such a miserable time for himself when all around him were laughing and having a great fun time.

Shame he could not join in with that and leave with smiles instead of what has obviously been a negative - half empty - experience instead of seeing it as half full and more positive.

Reviewed 1 August 2013

I would like to say that my stay at Hamilton Hall was fantastic , John & Kevin make you feel at home from the minute you step in the door, there is nothing that is too much trouble for these two guys, tea or coffee soft drinks on hand whenever you feel like it, the rooms are superb and spotless.
The meals are cooked by john and served to you by Kevin and all seated around one big table, which helps break the ice, with other guest's some of which are newcomers and some who come back time and again.

Room Tip: If you travel by train I know its only a few miles from the station
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Dappy123
slammer9, Owner at Hamilton Hall Men Only Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2013

As always, it is great fun when we can have a laugh and enjoy our customers. It always brings a smile and a giggle to me when I know this customer is due as we share a laugh and this is what it is suppose to be about.
Once again, a superb review and this does show that we are doing something right - and that lightens my heart.
This summer ( 2013 ) has been wonderful;- the weather;- the garden;- the beaches;- the laughter and fun shared, and as always, when people respond like this, it makes all the hard work and long hours worth it.

Thanks for the review, Big hugs.

Reviewed 1 August 2013

This is my twentieth visit over ten years and to say it is a unique experience is an understatement. You have to be open-minded and ready to ride a roller-coaster of deep and meaningful topics, or alternatively wacky ones. Oh, and filthy ones too! If you are narrow-minded, easily shocked, or judgmental - this is NOT the place for you. Owner John is the kindest man on the planet - also possibly one of the most bonkers when it comes to conspiracy theories - but he can't do enough for his guests. It is a Clothing Optional venue however I actually didn't see very much evidence of that but I am told that it's fine if you want to. The food is great and all home-cooked, the communal eating arrangement fits the ethos of the place, and the selection of free snacks is more than adequate. Communal rooms, lounges and outdoor spaces, are neat, clean and calm - many's the time I've dozed off on a sofa reading my book on a rainy afternoon when the beaches are not for the faint-hearted. The bedrooms are clean and tastefully appointed and all with free Wi-fi.
As other posters have said, it really isn't like staying in a hotel, it's more like visiting an old friend. I agree: very chilled - excellent place, excellent people - Thanks John.

Room Tip: The slight upgrade payment to have a double room to yourself, or the twin converted to a super-king...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Steve M

Bonkers huh ? That did make me laugh as 'raving mad' would probably have fitted better, but I can live with bonkers. Thanks for the review, it is great to read when someone has something positive to share. There are a lot of half empty people around and I really do try and encourage a half full mentality, which can be hard work...
It is always such a reward at dinner to realise that often, 90% of the guests have stayed before and we have a HUGE amount of return customers and I absolutely love that. It says that what we are doing is right and how, bonkers as I am, it would be real quiet at the dinner table if I wasn't there... ha ha - and you have to admit... it gets you thinking ( yes I know - how bonkers is John ??? ) ha ha
Thanks again... See you again soon.

Reviewed 8 July 2013

hmmm ,, Rang to book room .. very odd attitude... gave card details.. after further information (or lack of it )..changed my mind... guy on phone said he would charge my card 15 Quid for wasting his time ( at least 90 second s)... ring bank ,, he has done !! proceedings for recovery commenced !! Buyers beware !

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
61  Thank Graham48London
slammer9Dorset, Owner at Hamilton Hall Men Only Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2013

When making a reservation using a credit / debit card this customer accused me of asking for unnecessary information and accused me of fraudulently trying to gain his PIN number when I was asking for the SECURITY number, yet he would not listen and rudely accused me of fraudulent behaviour.
He then would not listen when I tried to explain and he kept telling me I was wrong, which I was not. Then tried to claim he was joking which was childish.

We are a NOT FOR PROFIT VENUE - and this kind of attitude is suspicious and this customer then decided to phone back - KNOWING WE WERE IN THE MIDDLE OF DINNER - Screaming down the phone at me - 7 times and deliberately done to irritate and annoy at a time when HE KNEW WE WERE BUSY. This kind of abusive behaviour I can do without.

I offered to refund this charge if he was able to put this spat behind us and he carried on with the booking- but this was not acceptable to him and as I am not about to sell my soul for a reservation - a charge was made and the charge stands.

Luckily we rarely get rude customers who, because we are a gay venue, assume we will take their abuse - and we are enjoying a sensational summer with wonderful people all laughing and having the time of their lives - and all ATTITUDE FREE. Shame this customer could not have put his attitude to one side and been a part of that. I am sure he would have had a wonderful time just like all our other guests.

Reviewed 3 July 2013

stayed at Hamilton Hall a couple of times, John the owner is really friendly, kind and generous... and has a lot to say about practically everything, but it's all in good fun and very interesting, little hint ... get him on a subject such as conspiracy, sit back and watch the show !

It is a Clothing Optional venue however I actually didn't see very much evidence of that but I am told that it's fine if you want to. The food was really good, plenty to eat, good selection of snacks in the kitchen. The room was of high quality, the bedding was great and with free Wi-fi. ... what more could you ask... our stay there was a nice experience.

It isn't really like staying in a hotel, it's more like visiting an old friend, in fact the weekend we stayed we ended up watching a film in the owners apartment, drinking wine with him and a couple of other guests - very chilled - excellent place, excellent people - Thanks John ...

Room Tip: It's up to you, if you want a cheap weekend choose to share, if you don't then treat yoursel...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank De465
slammer9, Owner at Hamilton Hall Men Only Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2013

Once again it is always wonderful to read another positive review, and I did laugh when I read about 'watching the show' when you get me on a roll about conspiracy theories - ha ha - we even have a whole weekend booked on our Diary of Events on this very subject.

I do have a passion for what we do here and is the very reason I opened Hamilton Hall, not so much as just another boring B&B - but as a place that made you think, turned your gray cells to ON and a place to share all sorts of alternative truths on life, death and the universe.

I appreciate this is not for everyone, and there are tons of venues where la la music and bland rooms can be found - but if your personality is a little larger than life, or if you are seeking a little more from a weekend away besides a lovely venue and you want to talk and discuss and share and listen and be a part of something - so that when you go home you take back more than a suntan and happy memories,- you have grown as a human being, then thast is what we are here for, and I absolutely love it .

Thanks again. Any time...

Reviewed 23 June 2013

John and Kevin are trying hard to make each individual welcome to Hamilton Hall, and it shows -open 365 days a year, they have guests that return many times. I stayed the weekend, and had some great conversations with a few guests there, who had returned. John also organises weekend events which will bring guests together, I attended the Simon Rowe event, and while I have my own views on the subject now, the event was a success. there are a couple of chill out rooms, and a wide range of spiritual books to read, and even some to purchase. The evening meal was excellent, and although I'm a veggie, John accommadated that nicely, there is also a great range of breakfast treats, and an amazing collection of teas to choose from. John is probably the first to admit he has strong views, and why not - it's his home as well, but you're not forced to listen...All in all, a very lovely place, and just perfect for a weekend break away or a longer stay..I would try and book a double room for single occupancy next time, as being 6ft 2, the single bed was a little small, but the peace and quite, with only the birds twittering away, more than made up for it...Also a special mention to Kevin who complements John perfectly, their personalities are very different, which definitely works well to achieve their goals..

Room Tip: Just enjoy the experience, it's not what you're used to, and that's got to be applauded.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Dan B
slammer9, Owner at Hamilton Hall Men Only Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2013

This was the first time Hamilton Hall had facilitated such an evening as we did with Simon Rowe and it does depend on your own belief structure how far you are willing to accept or not, and we had a mixed response this evening. Offering a place for people to appreciate and witness things that are new is what we are here for and spiritual enlightenment comes in many different ways and is different for everyone, and all journeys are respected and appreciated.
Thank you for your kind comments about Hamilton Hall. Having visited many other hotels up and down the country, I know what we have here is special and it is always a reward when others ' get it ' and see what we are doing is right. Thanks. Hope to see you here again soon. With scores of events throughout the year, there really is nowhere in Europe offering what Hamilton Hall offers.

Reviewed 11 June 2013

John & his staff made me feel incredibly welcome, I felt as though I was at home from the minute I arrived. The roo I had was both well appointed and immaculately clean, and the little extra touches provided were fantastic. Whilst I understand that for some the 'Home from Home' charms of a place like Hamilton Hall may not be to taste, for me they added to a wonderful trip, and made my week in Bournemouth memorable for all the right reasons.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank PubsNClubs
slammer9Dorset, Owner at Hamilton Hall Men Only Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2013

It is always a happy moment when I open Tripadvisor and find a new and positive comment about Hamilton Hall, and this one was a delight to read. Thanks for your charming words and it was,. as is so often, a delight to meet people of interest who share of themselves with us here and are not just anonymous faces we forget in 5 minutes.
Big thank you for your company and it was a delight for us in return as well, which many are not always aware of, as when you work 24/7 as we do. and when you are open all year, this is our social life as well and it is always great to meet such interesting and worthy people.
Thanks. John.