“A special place, a unique host & welcome - simply a great & highly recommended place to stay”
Review of Hamilton Hall

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bournemouth
Hamilton Hall
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2013

My partner and I stayed for a long weekend at Hamilton Hall for one of the themed events. The welcome could not have been warmer, the room and facilities were great and the bed oh so comfy. This is much like a home from home, relaxed atmosphere, sense of community all around and the home made food delicious. The range of food, drinks and snacks available goes above and beyond expectations e.g. over 40 types of tea!

The themed event went well...was instructive for us and we had loads of fun practicing !

John has a larger than life personality, is very friendly and welcoming - he has clear opinions on many things (which keep conversation round the table at meal time interesting and lively) but these are based on a lot of study and frankly a lot of common sense.

John is warm hearted, caring and gives so much more than he ever asks for in return and we should be grateful that a place like Hamilton Hall exists and support his 'not for profit' hotel, events and work he does for those needing support and a retreat.

We will return next year and probably more than once now we have discovered the welcome and all that Hamilton Hall offers. I highly recommend you stay there, relax and enjoy what's on offer ...and leave attitude, mis-perceptions, intolerance or prejudices behind at home.

Thanks to everyone at Hamilton Hall for a great and enjoyable time.

Room Tip: We were shown every room - all are beautifully decorated and furnished, beds new and very comfortabl...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ijxps101
slammer9Dorset, Owner at Hamilton Hall, responded to this review, 16 November 2013
Thank guys for this wonderful review. Good to hear you enjoyed the weekend and will be back. We get about an 85% repeat clientele here - and this compliments that what we offer is well received and that we are doing something right.
I did enjoy meeting the pair of you and right from the start I could see by your smiles that you were here to have a good time - you came with all the right thoughts and we did share a good weekend. Half full is always better than half empty and I congratulate you both on your superb upbeat manner and open minds.
Have a great Festive Season and keep up the good work... and see you in 2014... ( How time flies...)

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We stayed at Ham Hall for 4 days from 9th Sept 2013 and within 5 minutes of arrival we felt at home.John greeted us as though we were old friends although we had never met before.
The Bedroom (Joy) was really nice and the beds were the most comfortable i have slept in(apart from my own)
A good selection of tea,coffee and nibbles were available 24/7 and you could come and go as you wished.
Everyone at the Ham including guest were friendly and welcoming.
It was our first time in Bournemouth but have already decided to come back next year and will be hoping to stay here again.
The hotel is situated in Boscombe but is only a short bus ride from Bournemouth.
We also found a couple of really nice friendly gay bays Bakers Arms and DYMK,well worth a visit.
Thanks to all at Ham Hall for a great time.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank karl r
slammer9Dorset, Owner at Hamilton Hall, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
Thanks for this lovely review. Glad o slept well, especially as I have just renewed all the beds - at huge expense - throughout the venue this summer and had to buy all new fitted sheets as the ones I had did not fit the much deeper mattresses - so a lot of money was spent upgrading and renewing.
Upgrading and renewing is a constant thing around here and making and keeping it nice for people and updated - not to get run down and tacky like so many other venues. I love the TV programme ' HOTEL INSPECTOR' and am horrified by how some people decorate and run their venues and while it is a huge amount of hard work, it is not rocket science getting it just right, yet it seems so many do actually get it so wrong. Hamilton Hall is different and it is such a reward when I read these wnderful reviews and know that we are doing something right.

Thanks.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 September 2013

As I work a lot away during the year. Over the last few years I have lived out of a suitcase for most of the years. I have not find a lot of places that I can say I did feel home like I did here John and Mike made me feel home and welcome over the 2 weeks I did stay! I can recommend Hamilton Hall to any one from holiday makers to working gay men whom like a relaxed environment. This is a very good and clean and save place to stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank DirkSwanenberg
Thanks for your thoughtful input. Very much appreciated.
With winter 2013 approaching and the Festive Season ahead - we look forward to the cosiness of Hamilton Hall throughout the winter, as being on the south coast we have milder weather, sunnier days and with a daily walk with the dog to a different beauty spot each time, this is the best place to spend the winter months and we do get a lot of guests who share that with us. In the evenings we may all cosy up in my private apartment and watch a movie together and share a giggle - or like last night - we giggled over X FACTOR and had such a laugh together. So much nicer than being in some anonymous hotel room on your own with your telly on and no company.

Hamilton Hall is about people - not profit.

Thanks for your review and I hope we shall be seeing you here again soon.
Derby
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Because of the nature of this venue I have set up a different TripAdvisor account in order to review it. I suspect many of the previous reviews have done the same so don't be put off by the reviewers single score.
The hotel itself is clean and the room that I had, a single (room 6) was nicely decorated and had a very comfortable bed.
It is expected that guests service their own rooms during their stay, (the room is ready on arrival) but hey I can shake a duvet so that's no problem.
The whole set up is more akin to staying with a friend than staying in a guest house.
The host, John is very friendly and even invited me into his own space, along with other guests, to watch a DVD on my first evenings stay.
The hotel is for men only. (Its not necessary to be gay or bi-sexual to stay but an open mind is essential).
The weekend that I was there was supposed to be a "naked chill out" in the event neither I nor any other guest actually got their kit off but the opportunity was there to do that and as a clothing optional venue it isn't necessary to wait for a special weekend if that is what you want to do. In fact within the limits of decency you can do what ever you want to and come and go freely as you wish with no constraints on what hours you can be in the hotel.
Meals were along the same lines as the rest of the hotel, plain good food, more than generous portions, cooked and presented excellently.
John, the owner/host is quite vocal and has an opinion on most subjects. It means meal times are not boring. I can see why some people may not get along with him but in truth his eccentricity makes the venue.
Hamilton Hall's location is a short walk out of Boscombe. The area has a bohemian feel to it. Boscombe is shabby chic or just shabby? I don't, know. My favourate part of Paris is Belleville and Boscombe has a simaller feel to it.
So would I stay again? I hope so. Should you book it? Yes definitely if you can open your mind enough to embrace it, otherwise its not for you.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Steve E
slammer9Dorset, Owner at Hamilton Hall, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Again. A lovely review of Hamilton Hall. Thank you Steve E.

We are the only venue is all of Europe offering as many events and workshops on a huge array of issues for men - and if you wish for a weekend away - and the weather is bad - at least there is something to do other than get bored looking at the rain. With a huge Diary of Events to choose from, we really do work hard at trying to entertain and amuse, educate and sometimes shock... and that is what makes life fun and exciting.

We didn't have many for this Naked Chill Out weekend and I must correct this reviewer though as we did have naked people in the hotel - just not many.
I am aware I have a larger than life personality and that I chatter and laugh a lot with guests and sometimes ( rarely ) people do not like it, and when I go quiet, there is not a sound and you can see tumbleweed blowing through the hotel ;- then they complain no one is entertaining them, and I am aware that sometimes you just cannot win.

Hamilton Hall is a community hotel with personality and as I always say - it is never boring around here. I often invite guests to my private area to watch a movie, listen to some music or just to chat and share and it is lovely to have this wonderful extended family feel where people travelling alone do not have to stay on their own and are welcome to relax, chill out and not feel alone unless they want to.

With an 85% repeat clientele all through the year - I am always very humbled when people return as much as they do - some 5 or 6 times a year - and it means we are offering something a little different that hits the mark with many. Mad and crazy as some think I am... Hamilton Hall has been open since March 2000 and appeared on TV's - 3 IN A BED - to HUGE praise - and I am thrilled to read - once again - such kind and thoughtful words and see that Steve E. enjoyed his stay.

While hundreds of hotels and big business' closing due to the recession, this NOT FOR PROFIT VENUE - through hard work and dedication, love and a passion for what we do here, keeps going, keeps redecorating and renewing and keeps offering a delightful place for men seeking more out of life.
Bath, uk
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Hi John, thanks for another lovely time at Hamilton Hall. I have been coming to Ham Hall for at least ten years. If you are able to discuss your opinions, ideas and listen to others without getting precious,angry or bored. If you like to meet other Gay men and hear about their lives, their experiences, history and their feelings irrespective of their looks, status or their age. If you like to relax in a quiet, relaxing home. If you like to sleep in nice clean, new bedding and mattresses. If you would like to be able to walk through a lovely local park down to the surfers beach, swim from one of the best beaches in the UK and then have a beer at Urban Reef before walking back to Ham Hall for dinner with the other guests at one big table then this is the place for you. Their are too many other positives to list them all. Go find out for yourself. Thanks again John for all the hard work you put into running Hamilton Hall for our benefit.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank SteveBathBath_uk
slammer9Dorset, Owner at Hamilton Hall, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
Thank you Steve. Very kind and thoughtful words. This summer at least 85% of the visitors we have had - and it's been a busy summer, - have all been repeat customers - and like yourself, share a great time and thoroughly enjoy themselves.
It was great having you sing for us - and all spontaneously - and it is these things,- these unknowns,- that make it so fun, so magic and so part of a bigger family, when my guests plan and surprise us like this and share their talents and where everyone is welcome and invited to be part of something special, like your evening of songs. It was great and I have had several e mails from people telling me how much they enjoyed it as part of their holiday at Hamilton Hall.
I shall expect to see you on X Factor or Britain's Got Talent soon.

Thanks Steve, for helping make Hamilton Hall a place like nowhere else. With love. John
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2013

It is far away from places of interest, the garden is tiny, the touted home made food is not that good, most of the building is poky but main culprit is the owner. Beware that the "deep conversations" is mainly moaning about previous guest, or anyone else on Earth, who have failed to meet his expectations.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
49 Thank Rachmael B
slammer9, Owner at Hamilton Hall, responded to this review, 10 August 2013
Anonymous reviews like this just amuse as it is in complete contrast to everyone elses opinions. Just read some of the other reviews to see the contrast. . So I really do not need to say anything else about this review except maybe, I feel sorry for the customer, that he had such a miserable time but then, that really is not my concern - as only he creates his own reality and why - in that case - did he create such a miserable time for himself when all around him were laughing and having a great fun time.

Shame he could not join in with that and leave with smiles instead of what has obviously been a negative - half empty - experience instead of seeing it as half full and more positive.
Dorchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I would like to say that my stay at Hamilton Hall was fantastic , John & Kevin make you feel at home from the minute you step in the door, there is nothing that is too much trouble for these two guys, tea or coffee soft drinks on hand whenever you feel like it, the rooms are superb and spotless.
The meals are cooked by john and served to you by Kevin and all seated around one big table, which helps break the ice, with other guest's some of which are newcomers and some who come back time and again.

Room Tip: If you travel by train I know its only a few miles from the station
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Dappy123
slammer9, Owner at Hamilton Hall, responded to this review, 2 August 2013
As always, it is great fun when we can have a laugh and enjoy our customers. It always brings a smile and a giggle to me when I know this customer is due as we share a laugh and this is what it is suppose to be about.
Once again, a superb review and this does show that we are doing something right - and that lightens my heart.
This summer ( 2013 ) has been wonderful;- the weather;- the garden;- the beaches;- the laughter and fun shared, and as always, when people respond like this, it makes all the hard work and long hours worth it.

Thanks for the review, Big hugs.
John