“Home away from home”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bournemouth
Hamilton Hall Men Only Hotel
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Another wonderful visit to HH with the irrepressible John hosting in his own inimitable way, this time enhanced by his charming new assistant, Shaun. As always, only one TV and communal eating enhanced the family atmosphere and the conversation was as outrageous, challenging and far reaching as always.

I know HH isn't everyone's cup of tea and it is unlike any gay hotel (or straight one for that matter) you will ever visit. I view it as a roller coaster ride - if you hang on tight and ride the ups and downs you'll have a hell of a time.

I'm well into my twenty-something's in terms of my number of visits and I will return again.

8  Thank Steve M
slammer9, Owner at Hamilton Hall Men Only Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

It just goes to show that if you want bland elevator music and blah blah blah boring conversation that teaches you nothing and leads absolutely no nowhere then you have thousands of hotels to choose from and who will delight in a very dull way. If however you want your gray cells challenged and expanded - as we ALL need or else we get complacent and ignorant, then Hamilton Hall encourages people to think - to think for themselves, think about things from a different perspective and see the world through new eyes - and I celebrate the ability to challenge and cajole - to put in place - thoughts and reasoning that may otherwise not be forthcoming. We all need to grow and evolve. It is easy to become complacent and arrogant and only through mature and educated conversation can any of us become more.
I sometimes call Hamilton Hall 'AN ALTERNATIVE TRUTH CENTRE' of which, I know of none others anywhere.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Hamilton Hall is rather like home from home but just a little bit different ... it has to be experienced to enjoy it.

It has a unique friendly atmosphere which is perhaps enhanced by the fact that there are no televisions in the bedrooms, meaning that social interaction with humanity has to take place in it's lounges, dining area and charming little garden.

Homemade dinners are fresh, tasty, nice and hot and served up by owner / chef (master of ceremonies) John.

Room Tip: Room 2 has a huge comfortable bed - and I mean HUGE! Apt I suppose since the hotel was featured i...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mikeinhove
slammer9, Owner at Hamilton Hall Men Only Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

It has been a delightful summer season, very busy and a joy to meet so many wonderful and entertaining people and share so much laughter and be a part of their holiday week (ends.) Even last night, a couple of guests watched Hotel Budapest - the movie - with me in my private studio at the top of Hamilton Hall and we shared such a giggle and discussed the film after and it seems we all really enjoyed it.
I often share an evening movie with guests in my private area and they can smoke and have a drink and chill out while relaxing with like minded people, and you MOST CERTAINLY would never get this kind of personal treatment in a corporate anonymous hotel.
These intimate and friendly moments between myself and my guests are common and on-going all the time and are part of why so many people absolutely love Hamilton Hall - and all through this summer - we have enjoyed at least a 75% repeat custom throughout the year, which is always a huge compliment.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

I spent 3 nights at H.H. last week and was delighted by the relaxed and comfortable environment. I had a very nice room and the communal areas of lounge, separate TV room, breakfast room and garden were all really comfortable and nicely furnished with a touch of the exotic This made it feel that bit special. It was excellent value.

Room Tip: I had the single room which faces the road but it goes quiet at night.
2  Thank David L

So glad to hear you enjoyed your break with us. Just imagine what a longer spell here would do to your mind, body and soul... I do hope we shall be seeing you again soon.

We are offering a long stay winter deal that is cheaper than paying rent and includes all food etc. and days out visiting local sights and all sorts of winter specials to starve of the winter blues and we do enjoy the winters down on the coast where the light is brighter, the air cleaner and the hotel warm and cozy.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

I noticed this "men only" Hotel and noticed that my intended stay also coincided with "Naked Month". This was a first time visit for me and after the 5 minute taxi from Bournemouth Station (£5)
to Hamilton Hall I was greeted at the door by John who made me welcome with a brew and a "get to know you" chat which put me entirely at ease. The Hotel is a very special place where you can live with a host of other males, chatting, entertaining and socializing completely naked if you wish without any embarrassment whatsoever.
The Hotel is clean, and spacious and the rooms are nicely decorated with each room having character. The meals were freshly prepared and home cooked around a large table which meant meal times were entertaining and enjoyable.
There is a lovely secluded garden where the sun shines first thing in a morning and tables and chairs where you can sit and relax.
The whole stay of 3 nights were varied with some different guests each night checking in which kept things interesting getting to know them. The host John can't do enough for you and ensures you are comfortable and keeps you at ease.
This is an experience rather than a holiday and I thoroughly recommend visiting.
Thanks too for making this facility available and for all your hard work keeping the facility going from strength to strength. It truly is quite a unique and very special place for gay/bi and even "straight" but curious guys to spend time in a household full of like minded men.
Every man could learn something about himself here both spiritually and mentally and you'll enjoy the liberation it brings with it.

4  Thank Steve J
slammer9, Owner at Hamilton Hall Men Only Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

I really do have the best job in the world. I get to meet so many wonderful people and share a few days with them as they relax and unwind and enjoy the facilities I offer here at Hamilton Hall and reviews like this are reward in themselves and make all the hard work worthwhile. Naturally, it is always wonderful when what you offer is appreciated - and thanks for your kind words.

Dinner around one large table chatting over dinner.
Late nights under the stars with the guests in the garden sharing a giggle.
Watching a movie together up in my private apartment ( where the smokers can smoke )
and so much more 'togetherness' - is not to be found at faceless anonymous corporate hotels and this is how we score so big and have so many repeat customers. That personal friendship we share so freely, and it has been a splendid summer and I am always aware how blessed I am to be a part of so many peoples 'off time.'
Thank you for this very generous review.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I have just returned from a long weekend at the Hamilton Hotel and wish I had booked in for a longer stay. It was the first time I had ever stayed in an all male hotel and was a little dubious to begin with. However within a few hours I felt totally at ease and comfortable. The hotel is very warm and welcoming with smart rooms and facilities. John (host/owner) is a very witty, smart cookie and also very entertaining, as well as a good cook! I have Coeliac Disease (gluten free) and I was extremely impressed with the way I was catered for (thank you). The staff also were very friendly and welcoming ...you soon felt one of the family! Fellow guests were also very interesting and friendly.
All in all I had a brilliant time and would say 'go try it' ...I'll definitely be going back.
Thank you again !
Chris

Room Tip: Checkout the website...the rooms are just as they look. Clean, airy and bright! The single room has...
4  Thank River9
slammer9, Owner at Hamilton Hall Men Only Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Thanks for yet another great review. I was on a special diet myself some years ago and appreciate how hard it can be to travel and manage a special diet with public restaurants etc. and how frustrating it can be - and there were times when I just wanted to cry with the limited choices and frustration at my health problem, so I do appreciate the need for vegetarian - vegan or even gluten free meals - as long as I have been advised in advance. This clever man brought his own gluten free bread with him which was a major help at breakfast as this is way beyond our budget ( have you seen the price of this stuff in Tesco's... phwoar.... I can fill the car with petrol for almost a loaf of this stuff... ha ha )

While being full through the summer months, it is ever more intimate and personal in the winter months as we have more time to spend with individual guests and chat and share a laugh..

Big thanks for such a thoughtful review - MUCH APPRECIATED and I hope we shall see you again soon, and when I say it is MUCH APPRECIATED - you cannot believe how much it means to read your kind and thoughtful comments... it really moves me.

( or is that too much like a Hallmark card... ha ha :- )

Reviewed 14 July 2014

I've visited Hamilton Hall on many an occasion over the past 10 years or so and know the place well. You won't find anywhere else quite like this in the UK for gay men to come and relax, be themselves and chill out. I always receive a warm welcome make new friends on every visit.

The garden is beautiful, I've spent many times on an evening there in quiet meditation.

The rooms are all individually decorated and very comfortable.

The home cooked meals, where we all eat together and chat away around one table, are also very good.

John, the owner, has put his heart into creating a warm and friendly space for gay men to come and relax and socialize and feel part of a community, whatever your age.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank nawanda2013
slammer9, Owner at Hamilton Hall Men Only Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Thanks for these kind words and good to see someone who understands the passion and love it takes to run such a venue. The garden is always a delight and with this summer being a really good hot and sunny one, it is a little gem. Thanks again. John

Reviewed 7 July 2014

This was my first visit to HH and I was travelling alone. The welcome was warm and friendly. The room was nice and I had my own shower and toilet (room 6 Serenity). Everything was clean and pleasant.

The evening meal is excellent; at £15 I initially thought it was a bit expensive but it was very good quality and I had dinner every evening. It came with a side salad and a sweet and included wine and coffee. It is also a good way to meet other guests so I would be happy to recommend eating in HH.

John is a very interesting character and a very good and attentive host. To those of you who have strong opinions and like a good argument I have one comment to make, GOOD LUCK haha

I would happily stay there again

Room Tip: I had room 6 and it was fine. All the rooms I saw looked good
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
slammer9, Owner at Hamilton Hall Men Only Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Once again it goes to show that what we offer here is appreciated and valued above and beyond other venues and how - sometimes - the smaller more intimate venue can create and nurture an atmosphere of peace and calm not found in larger corporate venues.
I do like a challenge and thoroughly enjoy those who have something to say and offer a different view of life, death and the universe rather than bland boring blah blah, Life is too short to be average - and big thank you for such a pleasant and appreciative mention here on TA. Maybe come to one of our workshops soon... ha ha ... you think I talk a lot at the moment - ha ha - get me centre stage and switch me on... ha ha