“Staff yet again made this a lovely experience”
Review of Park Central Hotel

Park Central Hotel
Ranked #8 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Bucks
“Staff yet again made this a lovely experience”
Reviewed 15 December 2013

From booking to the end of our trip,staff we're welcoming and helpful..my husband has mobility problems and they were always watching and aiding in a kind way,much appreciated,the food at breakfast was plentiful and English breakfast fabulous,there are cereals.pastries if you have room. We had wheelchair bedroom which was so spacious and a great wet room.overall experience was great and will definitely go back.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TeriBucks

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Italy
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Went to visit Bournemouth with my family in August 2013 and stayed in this great hotel. Very close to the beach, about 2 minutes walk. The staff were very friendly and the property was nicely decorated with modern fittings in the bathroom and the bedroom.
There was a wide variety of choice at Breakfast served by a team of friendly waiters and waitresses. Will definitely stay again and recommend.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reviewed 8 December 2013

On arrival the reception staff were very polite, friendly, helpful and welcoming. We was given our voucher at a cost of £7.50 for 24 hours to park opposite in the BIC Centre Car Park. This hotel was in a great position directly opposite to BIC to see "DIVERSITY" perform there the evening of our arrival.
We were given room/ suite 406 overlooking the town centre. When entering the room, with a seperate sitting area, it looked really accommodating, but once living in it, we experienced all the faults and frustrations within it.
The main problem with the suite, was although it had a good floor area space, a lot of it was wasted. NOT PROPERLY THOUGHT OUT ! We kept knocking ourselves into the furniture in the living area when going to the window or wardrobe.
There was no power point for the kettle where it was placed on the dressing table, so we had to boil the water on the floor. ( HEALTH and SAFETY ) would not be pleased we think ?
The wash basin was far to small, and there wasn't enough room for toiletries. The shower was the smallest I had ever been in,and complicated to use.The shower/toilet was also quite dark NOT ENOUGH LIGHTING.
No face flannels were provided, and the bath robes were in a small size. I would have thought in all practicalities a large size should be provided to fit most people. It doesn't matter if should wrap around a smaller person more, than a larger one !
The noise from the extractor fan was driving us mad.
The bedroom has another TV placed on the wall for bed viewing, but again we kept knocking our shoulders on it to pass by. NOT CAREFULLY THOUGHT OUT FOR A SMALL AREA !
The breakfast was first class, but again Rubber Plants were placed in-between tables. so the staff and guests kept knocking against them. The tables were far too small and looked very cluttered once the food etc was being served. Why have large saucers, for such a small table. AGAIN NOT MUCH THOUGHT, to take up so much room on the table !
Overall we can not say this is a 4 star hotel, we have stayed in much better hotels with lower star ratings. BUT FOR ONE NIGHT IS OK , that's if you stay in Room 406. Other rooms may be better, and you might even be able to boil the kettle on the table ???

Room Tip: Room 406 overlooks the Town Centre, and is not well planned out.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lawrepete
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2013

My wife and daughter along with my wife's family went away to Bournemouth for a weekend birthday celebration.
Bournemouth is not one of these towns that are overwhelmed with big brand hotels (one or two exceptions) so you given a wide choice of smaller (and often independent) hotels. The buildings tend to be older and in my experience this is where most of these establishments start to lose points.

From the outside the Park Central Hotel looks pretty seaside familiar. There are a couple of clues what lies inside with some modern touches. However the Park Central Hotel has been newly refurbished and when you step inside you are in a very modern establishment.
The welcome at reception was very efficient. The parking across the road at the multi-story car park was handled very easily and was not really a trouble at all.

We had a family suite room on the top floor of the hotel. There was a lift to the top floor but the walk to up room on the wide staircase was a minor treat as it gave great sea views.

Our room offered a separate lounge / sleeping area for our daughter with a very comfortable sofa bed (and TV). Our room was adequately sized with the bathroom and a wardrobe / small dressing room off that. There was coffee and tea facilitates. an iron and ironing board and just about all the comforts you need for a short stay.

There are two sacred things for me in any hotel. Was the bed comfy? Yes and a good night sleep was had. Was the room clean? Yes and the interim clean maintained the standard during our stay. So no complaints on that front.

We stayed on a bed and breakfast basis and on both mornings the breakfast was good with a choice of buffet continental or a hot breakfast from the menu. I had a very good full English one day (black pudding is always an extra point for me) and smoked haddock with a poached egg the next, again very good.

The location of the hotel is excellent for the city and puts you very close to the sea front, the international centre, the park and the shops.

The only gripe I have about the hotel is public area. Firstly we did not even know there was a public lounge at the hotel until we stumbled across it on our second morning. It is to the right of reception but almost invisible if you go through the main door. Whilst not expecting a bar or large entertainment suite it just seems like a room that is a bit of an afterthought. As our group was split across four rooms it would have been nice to have a central place to meet up and the lounge just felt like an afterthought. There is a bar attached to the restaurant but we had a number of children with us and this didn't feel like the kind of place you could take children to have a game of Pass the Pigs etc. I know this is down to the fabric of the building but if you have a room, no matter how small, make the most of it. It just felt like an apology.

All in all an unexpectedly high quality stay. If it went to Bournemouth again I would be more than happy to stay here.

Room Tip: We stayed on the top floor and faced into the town. There was noise from the town but the other side...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Tagfcuk
Aleksandra D, Manager at Park Central Hotel, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review for us. All your observations are very important to us and other guests - I’m pleased to hear our central location was beneficial and the room to your taste. With regards to the lounge area – I’m proud to announce that we have taken on board all guest feedback and subsequently, The Crab has been transformed into a more spacious, comfortable dining and lounge area. We hope we can welcome both your families back to return to us, and let us know what you think.
Shoreham-by-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 November 2013

My wife and I spent our 45th wedding anniversary at this hotel back in October 2013.
The reception staff welcomed us with a smile and a pleasant conversation.
When we got into our room there was an anniversary card on the dresser signed by the management .A very nice gesture . On the first evening we had dinner in th hotel restaurant .The staff were very helpful and polite .The food was excellent . And the complimentary glass of champagne was a lovely surprise.
We spent five nights here and we had a wonderful stay .
The staff were very pleasant and made us feel very welcome .
The room was clean and very comfortable .
We would highly recommend this hotel and look forward to staying there again .

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Raymond c
Thank you for taking the time to leave your lovely comments! I’m glad you enjoyed your anniversary break with us and hope we were able to help make it a memorable one. I am also pleased to pass on your comments to our Housekeeping and Restaurant staff. We hope we can look forward to welcoming you back again at a future date.
Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

This is an excellent hotel. The rooms are nicely presented and have good facilities. Received a very friendly welcome from reception.
The cooked breakfast was delicious and made to order which so much better than buffet. There were several fresh juices available as well as fresh fruit, pastries and cereals.
My only dissappointment was the restaurant being fully booked, went in for a drink and the food smelt so good.
Will stay here again (and pre book the restaurant) If I visit Bournemouth again.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Bettynicole
England
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Objectives were to share a relaxing, indulgent family break with a special birthday celebration combined. To explore & see a little more of Bournemouth than we experienced in the busy Summer. We chose the Parc Central for many reasons really but initially liking its location ... 'Beside the seaside, beside the sea' :) The view from the elevated position is most pleasing; the pier is timeless & quaint, along with beautiful skies at sunset & sunrise. Plus being so close to the Gardens & promenade is beautifully convenient for early morning walks. So our main criteria already achieved, next we were simply hoping for pleasant bedrooms with hopefully a nice view - already knowing the restaurant served delicious food having already eaten there in the Summer - A comfortable abode to stay was all we needed.
From the moment we walked into this unique Hotel we were all surprised at how 'warm & lovely' the ambiance of the Hotel is. Not just the delightful, friendly helpful reception staff but the actual feel of this old building & its history. You could almost feel the laughter in the corridors & stair cases - which are absolutely beautiful, so light & spacious. I just loved the unique feel, the warm & welcoming tasteful decor. rarely have I stayed in a Hotel that is 'comfortable' - in that cosy, indulgent, nice happy way that is often lacking in more grand Hotels. Where everything is uniform & the same, so homogenised you could be anywhere & in any Hotel - all feeling the same. This Hotel isn't like that. Its small but feisty ... its gentle but courageous, its got an abundance of character & guts. Simply put we L O V E D it & wouldn't hesitate to stay again. You could imagine it becoming a wonderfully clean & tidy home from home retreat.
The staff - Alex the manager even had a Birthday Card in the birthday girls (85 yrs young) room which really gave the celebration an occasion feel for her arrival. The lovely young ladies at reception couldn't be any nicer if they tried. Soooo helpful, so happy & the warmth of their smiles genuine & warm. (No offence meant to the often empty replication of the American "have a nice day without any feelings attached which some UK Hotels try but fail miserably at :) Every detail of our stay was managed beautifully. Suitcases taken to our rooms as we parked the car - which is a stones throw across the road. I'd much rather pay £7.50 knowing my car is safely tucked up for the night. The fact is it was an old school, converted into a unique & quirky Hotel. There is a car park to the side in which we parked whist off loading our cases but as its small & courteous temporary parking for such a large vehicle as ours, we didn't hang around to inspect it we were just grateful for the use of it. The car park is very convenient & easy to use. Don't be put off its not all on site. It doesn't need to be & once you know this you can prepare your mindset accordingly.
Now for our rooms, the lovely broad smile & gasp of delight from Birthday Girl said it all. The room was lovely, I was so pleased we opted for the signature room. The beautiful bay window was a gorgeous asset & feature (if it were mine in our home, I'd have old fashioned window cushions placed all around it to make it even more comfy & homely) as the view of the Pier was great. The airy feel & the lovely clean crisp feeling lovely simply defined decor suited the room perfectly. It just works, what more can I say. You could dress it up as ostentatious as you like but it would simply detract from the simple truth of the room & its view. I really like its style, Tastefully stylish but definitely not in your face which maybe is what makes it soo cosy & comfortable. Maybe we were lucky, our bathrooms were spacious & so very clean. There's constant hot water & the shower was fab. The towels are FABULOUS!!!! I wrapped myself up & didn't want to take it off it was soooo comfortable & cosy ha ha . Typically English but my only complaint - of any Hotel in England - is the absence of a bidet. A heated towel rail always makes me smile too.
My love affair with anything wooded received its fix too :) the wooden furniture, tables & dressers, chests of drawers & wardrobes are lovely & just created such a nice ambiance. The delicious coffee served my caffeine fix too :) Douwe Egberts yum one of my fav coffees. I didnt use the amazing looking machine, just sampled the instant but all our rooms had the coffee machine in which was a totally unexpected indulgence. Sadly I didnt have time to figure it out ha ha. Although saying that the chamber maids were wonderful, so friendly & helpful, insisting to come & show me how to use it but alas we were leaving & needed to check out so no spare time to indulge. ( NEXT TIME :)
Our Birthday meal was thoroughly enjoyed in the Crab. the food was such good quality & sooo tasty. The attentive, lovely & polite staff made our meal that little bit extra special. What a lovely great group of waiters & waitresses. I don't think I've ever stayed in any Hotel where all of the staff are so happy!!! Which speaks volumes of what kind of place the Hotel must be at its very core. We booked for breakfasts too which were absolutely delicious. Not wanting to have the same we all had different breakfasts then little tastes of each others ha ha. I much prefer fish & scrambled egg for breakie, where as hubby loves the full English. Birthday girl had cereal, yogurt, continental & toast which was lovely & thoroughly enjoyed. We shared the full English & I have to say - not always keen on sausage - that the sausages were gorgeous! The texture & taste were surpassing anything I've tried, probably farm reared Pork or something special as they were not your typical sausage. YUM. The bacon was thick & not like the horribly thin cardboard Ive had in other Hotels. My poached eggs were perfect as was the smoked haddock. Our friend had the salmon which again we tried :) it was lovely. The scrambled egg looked nicely cooked too & plenty of it. We were really impressed. The staff again were very attentive, filling our coffee cups whenever we needed them refilled. The fresh fruit salad was delicious & there was plenty of juices to choose from too.
Hmmmmmm I could continue to rave about this little gem of a find , but I think I've said enough.
Well maybe all .. but Thank you again .. thats thanks to the guys who had the vision to convert this old school house into a lovely cosy retreat of a Hotel; right through to the receptionists, manager, cleaners, chef, waiters & waitresses. I can honestly say you all make the place outstanding & excel as a wonderfully quaint & delightful individual private Hotel.
We will be back, next excuse we can muster :) Grrrr plus I need to bring my camera as unbelievably I forgot it!!! So all I have is a picture of the view taken on my phone but that's about it :( Which is such a shame as the Winter Markets, the Gardens , the birthday meal . . . so many things deserved capturing . C'est la Vie :)

Great time had by all. Excellent .

Room Tip: State your preferences when you ring & I'm sure the staff will accommodate your needs, they...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family