“HAG do!”
Review of The Lodge

The Lodge
Ranked #97 of 133 Bournemouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 June 2012

A mixed group of 16 stayed at the Lodge for a “Hag” do (joint hen and stag). We used the Lodge as our base whilst we were at the Bournemouth Sevens Rugby Festival, and we were able to come and go as we pleased. The rooms were clean and comfortable and were cleaned whilst we were there. If we go to the B7’s next year, we will defiantly book to stay there again!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for The Lodge

Reviewed 12 April 2012

I stayed here as part of a stag group and had a great time. Our room had en suite facilities, big screen TV and clean (I can’t believe some of the other reviews!) . We could come and go as we please and were within walking distance of the town and beaches. The staff were great and told us the places to go and avoid. All of this for a very reasonable price that meant we could spend our money out in town. I would recommend to anyone planning a group trip!

Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Will P
kerandire, Owner at The Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2012

Well thank you for this, after being told by around 20 guests in the last 6 to 7 months that they have left us a good review this is the first to be published, I hope now the others appear.
The Lodge is a clean comfortable building for groups, nothing more nothing less we do not pretend to be the savoy but try our best to offer value to our guests after 25 years and so many returning every year I hope we are doing something right.
I cannot tell you how pleased I am that your review is in print I was wondering if it was a deliberate attack on our place that the good reviews did not appear.
Once again thanks

Reviewed 31 October 2011

We stayed here in July , we were a group of 4 lads and having stayed in sum of the biggest holes across Europe and the UK this was by far the worst we've ever stayed in !! And we are not fussy, we normal just look for bed in a ideal location but this place is disgusting, the bed and sheets were filthy , the carpets were not suitable for the soles of my shoes. When we arrived we were read the riot act and as good as threatened before we had even spoke. As the nights in bournemouth town were excellent we thought we could handle the accommodation. We thought that there was no point in complaining at the time about the shower that was only ever scolding hot and the broken shelf, how we wished we had. After the 2 nights we left, as no instructions were giving we made the beds and left are keys on the moldy chest of drawers. Only to receive a email the following after telling us we had been charged £250 !!! For the shelf which was on the floor when we arrived and four sets of keys !!! After stating the keys were left and the shelf was already on the floor when we opened the door!! I receive more threatening emails saying more money will be taken from my account if I questioned the decision. After this stay I would strongly advise anyone staying here to think wisely about booking and staying here. I could quiet easily spend more time bringing up more complaints but in quiet honestly disgusted at the stay and this b n b!!

• Stayed: July 2011
6  Thank steviej89
kerandire, Owner at The Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2011

Damaged room took keys and have left a bad review because they forgot they had signed a bond for damage and we charged them.
60 guests each weekend and charge maybe 4 or 5 times a year do not think we are being unfair with this ratio.

Reviewed 29 October 2011

The biggest plus is location...very close from Railway and Coach Station....not too far from the town center. My room, had no bathroom, which was on the hallway. The bathroom door was broken, so I couldnt use it at all. I had to go 1 floor down to use another one.
Room was very small with 4 beds,quiet clean, with small window, small TV and of course broken closet doors.
There is no reception in this hotel, you need to go to next door house / hotel to get a key.
I felt quiet unsafe knowing thaty nobody works downstairs...only cameras on th hallways which I dont know if they really work.
The Lodge is OK to stay for 1 night and the price not bigger than 15-20 BP.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank DariusKN
kerandire, Owner at The Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2011

As you say great value as you only paid £15.00.
Yes clean and tidy bathroom door broken did you tell us?
if we know we can fix it if we do not then it will be next day when cleaners find it.
CCTV though out the building and security at weekends, but what do you think would happen?

It is all down to money you paid for and got a great value room, if you want more you need to pay more and stay at the Ashleigh Hotel.

If you buy a strawberry ice cream but wanted chocolate the only person to blame is yourself not the ice cream shop

Reviewed 15 August 2011

I stayed at the lodge for two nights on a hen do and it was awful. The room smelled, there were cobwebs everywhere, the beds were painful and pillows paper thin. We were in a room of three and shared a bathroom with 9 blokes on a stag do that insisted on walking around naked. On the first night we were woken every 30minutes with someone banging on our door or trying to open it and were scared to go to the communal toilet - which was carpeted, always short on tissue and the toilet didnt flush properly. That morning we tried to find somewhere else to stay with no success. The second night there was a fight in another room - continual shouting, thudding and swearing - when we rang down to reception the lady that answered was extremely rude and nothing was done. Would not stay again - felt very unsafe. Parking was a nightmare, very narrow drive which fit two cars which then gets blocked in by ten other cars meaning in the morning we had to wake every room to see if they would move - a group of girls in one room were very rude and aggresive but this is what we had been instructed to do.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank L F
kerandire, Owner at The Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2011

Well lets start at the beginning, we contacted the party leader of your group who said everyone had a great time! and did not know who wrote this review!.
No cobwebs rooms always clean that's why it is full all the time.
Loo paper always in the loos! sorry carpet which is brand new not ok?
Night security heard nothing and saw nothing on CCTV and after you called a different hotel in the middle of the night, we were advised and we also checked the building all quiet.
You parked for free and I am sorry that at the moment you wished to go you had to wait a while but you could have parked on the street.
The lodge is a building for groups and everyone has a great time it is not a hotel, people make a noise when they come back, that is why it is only for groups after 23 years I am sorry but your comments are not valid.
If it was so bad why did you not speak to us on the Saturday and out of interest the room next to you was empty on Friday as the group had to work at the last minute on the Friday. Strange how that room could have been so noisy with no one in it!

Reviewed 5 June 2011

I stayed here for 2 nights with my friends on a hen party. I wasn't expecting anything fancy just clean and convenient. Unfortunately The Lodge did not meet the lowest of expectations. 10 of us were sharing a room, sleeping on bunk beds which was just about acceptable for the £800 that we paid! The hot water was intermitent, the carpet was wet and sticky and the worst thing was the overwhelming stench! It smelt of mould and damp and was still as strong after nearly 2 days, depsite the windows being open all the time that we were in. Paint was falling off the walls and there was evidence of leaks in the ceiling. Underneath the beds was awful and clearly had not been hoovered for a long time. Ironically we were awoken on the first morning by someone asking if we wanted the room cleaned! It would have been nice if this had been done BEFORE we arrived! The only good thing I can say is that beng given a set of keys each was very handy as we were not restricted to stay together.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel! Or sleep on the beach!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Miss_Jet_Setter23
kerandire, Owner at The Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2011

The reason the girls knocked at your room is that every room is cleaned every day.

Hot water has failed four times in 23 years so cannot understand why you had a problem.

The flat is our most popular room where everybody has a great time, with its two bathrooms TVs etc. I remember that your group stated they had a great time and I seem to remember that, this room was asked for.

The lodge is for groups it is not 5* but it is clean purpose built and the groups have a great time without being hassled, It is exactly as we sell it nothing more nothing less.

Group rooms have a hard life and are painted 3 times a year I cannot paint them in the summer as it is always full, if you spill something on the carpet yes it will be wet and sticky, if you had told the girls and let them in to clean it would have been sorted.

I am sorry but whining afterward does not help you or me, if you have a problem we will resolve it straight away if it is in our power, if you are upset as you was expecting different accommodation then you should have spoken to your organiser, as we always explain exactly what you are paying for.

Reviewed 12 August 2010

After reading the below reviews i was dreading our stay at The Lodge. Imagine my surprise when i found a modest, clean and functional hotel, with a friendly but frank welcome by the owner. We stayed in a room for 11 people and found it to be clean, basic and the toilet/shower was perfectly acceptable, my only grip being that it did have a odd smell of dog/bleach but this was soon forgotton. I did not hear other parties, the bed was acceptable and the linen/towels clean. Only faults could be that it would of been nice for clean towels everyday and i spotted the odd sticky beer stain but im clutching at straws and for the price we payed this was fine especially for 28 stags! Don't be afraid!

• Stayed: July 2010