“Cheap and Cheerful”
Review of The Lodge

The Lodge
Ranked #103 of 131 Bournemouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Having read the other reviews i felt i must respond as they seem very unfair and petty, The Lodge is just as its described, Its clean, spacious rooms, hot showers, TV in the room, tea and coffee, and the staff helpful and cheerful, Free car parking which is great as its expensive to park in Bournemouth. We traveled in a group had no problems with the owner at all, Most hotels or Lodges are really expensive in Bournemouth and this was very reasonable, I can never understand why people moan when they are on holiday/ break, make the most of it! All in all we had a great time and we would go back!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kaallen25

Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

I have just returned from a one night stay and to say I was disappointed would be a gross understatement. There are so many negatives to list, I really don't know where to start, but here goes....I'll start with the miss-selling of rooms. We booked our stay from the Ashleigh Hotel website after viewing their rooms and prices online. Paid £90 for B&B 1 night to be told upon arrival that we were actually staying in the Lodge next door, a cheaper, tattier looking building, oh and breakfast wasn't included!! The room was dirty, there were what appeared to be faeces stains on one of the sheets :( and hair of the dark curly sort in the shower. Obviously we weren't impressed! The lady owner (Julie I believe) was extremely rude and left a note under our door threatening to clamp our car because it was parked in the guest accommodation in the Ashleigh (which we we had actually booked and paid for). She clearly had no experience whatsoever in customer service and I was shocked by her attitude and manner. In my view, anyone who responds to reviews in the way they do here is very unprofessional it's beyond a joke. Funny how so many reviewers seem to leave a review "for the wrong hotel". I'm almost worried to read their response to my experience. They appear to take none of their customers' comments on board, instead choosing to "fight their corner" and make out we're all liars! Ludicrous! I can honestly say that this is the worst experience I've ever had at a hotel/B&B and I'd warn you all to AVOID AT ALL COSTS! Over to the management...

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank danielaj1987
kerandire, Owner at The Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2013

Well lets start at the beginning, you booked a room in the Lodge as the hotel was full, you then insisted that you had booked breakfast even after being told the terms when you booked and that the lodge has not served breakfast for 10 years, you had parked on next doors car park and was asked to move to the lodge car park, you told us you would pop to the cash point and return and pay.
Five hours later you returned leaving your car in someone else's car park ! you then reluctantly moved your car to the back of the Lodge car park taking up 6 spaces !.
We then decided that we did not need the hassle and we offered you your money back, you then wanted to stay but still made a fuss over moving your car.
Its a pity really as your room would have been good for the three ladies checking in with us as a local place was so bad they moved to us (as you was in the hall we know you overheard this) in fact as we knew you was going to such a pain we really wish you had taken your money and left.
I am sorry but I will answer comments posted here truthfully and if you do not like that then tell the truth yourself, also check some of the bad reviews please tell me how they can stay in the Lodge the same night as they have a meal in spain !. You made a mistake and abandoned your car and do not like it as we told you, thats down to you not me, the strange thing is I was going to give you a free breakfast until you became so offhand.

Reviewed 12 September 2013

Stayed here a week ago with my family and found it excellent value for money seems some people want 5 star accomadation at a 1 star price! We had ensuite bathroom ,sat tv,tea coffee facility had to write this review as some of the other reviews must of been reviewing another hotel ?

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank ncoln
kerandire, Owner at The Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, we have had some bogus ones lately and have upset a couple of guests and it is they that always seem to have the time to leave a review, not the other 99% who have a good time.
Still we know in our hearts we try or best, but cannot please everyone.
Once again thank you for taking the time.

Reviewed 5 September 2013 via mobile

Stayy away .!!!!!!!!!!

holes in the carpet
dirty stained sheets
communal toilet and shower
Dirty cups
hair in the bed
screws poking out of the bed
and the rudest owner ever.

if you have any sense you wouldn't step within 100 yards of this place

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Mikey O
kerandire, Owner at The Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2013

Well after receiving a call from someone who told us they was going to get all their friends to leave bad reviews, here is the 2nd.
But people are not fools they will read all the reviews and make a decision on them all.

Reviewed 31 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed in room 78..2 adult's and 3 children..the owners were very welcoming and even offered us a bigger room that was free because I have 2 teenage girls..the lady let me chose but I stuck to the orginal room as I liked the lay out. I found the hotel to be excatly how its described. .no frills budget hotel..there was no tea or coffee in my room which I didnt notice until late the 1st evening but the next morning it was quickly refilled with an apology. We got the train so when we checked out we left our bags in the ashley hotel next door which was a help. We only needed somewhere to sleep and at £65 a night for 5 we will be booking here again.

• Stayed: August 2013
kerandire, Owner at The Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave an honest review, we are at all times upfront and honest about the Lodge and thankfully it works as we are so busy, but as you can see people with an axe to grind use this faceless medium at times to be nasty. The problem is the general public are not stupid so it never works, thankfully.

Reviewed 29 August 2013

Organised a stag do at the lodge last year, they were really helpful in the run up and let me add numbers and regig rooms upto the day before. We had 16 stay and all rooms were basic but clean and comfortable and really were great value for money. Granted its not the ritz but I think we payed 12.50 each a night so who complaining. All of us parked on site and we were blocked in but the owner got some other groups to move cars in the morning which allowed us out pretty quick. All in all good place to base your weekend from and I would use again as long as the owner doesn't take us through the welcome speech which I think is his party piece:)

Room Tip: Remember what you paid if you have little problems.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Path100

Thanks for taking the time to leave this, we do try to get it right and it is always a difficult task with a large group of guys or girls, but on the whole it seems to work.

Reviewed 29 August 2013

Tasha4919's review isn't far from the truth. The landlord 'Ray', is a spiteful and unpleasant human being, very unwelcoming and belittling to paying guests. BEWARE: he will bore you with his cringeworthy speech about all the bars you should attend and avoid even if you're not interested. The is a man who really needs a new job as he clearly doesn't care about repeat business or bad reviews. This Lodge is a 'last resort' kind of place where you go if you are desperate for accommodation. I only wish I had seen the reviews before going as they hit the nail on the head.

The place is a dive, with broken ladders to the top bunk, and mattresses where you can feel every spring. It is a Lodge dominated by hen and stag do's so avoid if you're not attending one. In fact, AVOID even if you are!
The parking on site is an awful fire hazard as cars block the only exit. Most cars were left dented and scratched from people squeezing past day and night.

This guy and this place are only what I imagine you'd find in hell.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Corinne S

A little tip for you if you are going to make up a false review try to get the facts right, there is nowhere in Bournemouth I tell people not to go to and if you are going to refer to a review that has been taken down due to its content, then people will wonder how you know the details as it is not online for you to see, or did you copy it as a just in case?.
We are upfront and honest in all our dealings and if people are upset with us it is due to the fact we have stepped in to avoid other guests or the neighbours being disturbed.
I make no excuses for this, it is my job and why we are busy, as we care.