“Great Hotel”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
London
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2011

Stayed here back in July but only just got round to reviewing. Its a real gem of a hotel. Rooms really nice, bed really comfortable , toiletries gorgeous and fresh milk and homemade biscuits are great touches. Food was amazing and great value for money. A really wonderful couple of days, going back for New Years!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LaineLondon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

I stayed here for 1 night and found the hotel very nice. The staff on check- in were very nice and friendly. The hotel did take £50 from my card for any extras which I wasn't keen on as they told me it wouldnt be back on my card for up to 5 working days after check- out, so make sure you have enough money on your card. I know this can be standard in some hotels.

The room was nice and modern if quite small. It had a lovely shower and no bath which is fine, but they don't provide shower caps! Lucky I had my own with me.

We had one problem with noisy students in the house next door making alot of noise at night which is not the fault of the hotel, but they might need to look into that if it's something that continues. I would ask for a room on the right hand side of the hotel next time. I should have mentioned it to the staff on check out, so they would have been unaware of this.

I liked the fact that they provide a fridge on each landing with fresh milk for your tea and coffee which they provide in each room.

The staff were very friendly and we had a great full english breakfast in the morning and I liked the fact that breakfast is served up until 10.00am and that was a week day morning so probably a bit later on a weekend. I asked if I could have an extra hour after the check out time and they happily agreed.

I would be happy to recommend this hotel on the basis of my stay and would definitely return.

• Stayed October 2011
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2011

recently visited the green house for the weekend with my wife (my 50th!) staff very friendly and helpful, after one visit the barman remembered our room, well impressed with that!
we enjoyed the taster menu, food was realy good apart from the sweet which we thought was a bit of a strange mix(could just be a personal choice thing)
we were on a deal, so our room was not the biggest, but it was very clean and had everything you needed, yes the lighting can be a bit dim, but it's kind on the wrinkles! the bed was fantastic, i have never slept so well, my wife even had to wake me to watch the rugby world cup final!
only negative if i have to be picky is the soundproofing, not a problem if the sound of your neigbour having energetic humpy bump doesn't bother you! but could be slightly offputting.

Bracknell, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2011

My girlfriend and I recently stayed at the Greenhouse for a welcome break from work, kids and dogs. Location is great as you can be on the sea front in less than 10 mins walk and a quick decent on the cliff elavator.
On first impressions we were both very impressed with the quality of the hotel, good standard of finish and quality in all aspects of the hotel. The bedrooms were very clean although the layout with the open plan bedrooms took a little getting used to! even after all those years together a little privacy wouldnt have gone a miss.

The staff are welcoming and attentive which was great. The hotel boasts its green credentials at every turn which is commendable, though I have to say they seem to be talking this to the extreme when it comes to the lighting in the room which is terrible, my girlfriend had to open the blinds to be able to see to put in her contact lenses and put her make up on, how you would do this at night is beyond me. The kettle needs a degree to work out how to boil water, which only resulted in a nasty burn to my hand... its a kettle guys, fill with water turn on... end of story. Its all very well being sustainable but you need to sustain the abilty to see... more lights please!!!
The Breakfast was lovely, and even though you get the distinct impression that they are cooking one at a time and portions leave a little to be desired, when they do arrive they are wonderful with the best black pudding I have ever eaten.

Overall I cant say I would rush back to the Greenhouse even though its very good, for me I have stayed in better,or comprable quality for less money.

Barking, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2011

For £155 a night, you'd be right in expection the hotel to have a swimming pool? Gym? maybe even a Spa? the Green House has none of these. What it does have is great staff who can't do enough for you, a relaxed easy going atmophere, & the cleanest hotel we've stayed in yet.
Although nearly fully booked, the bar area never had more than a few people in (Saturday eve/night), & the prices were nearly half what we payed at the nearby De Vere a few years back. We never had an evening meal, but the breakfast choice was plentyful, & cooked to order
We booked last minute, for the location (close to our favourite Bournemouth restaurant), so payed more than we wanted too. but for a romantic gettaway, we wasn't disapointed.
I could complain that the kettle didn't work, but when your underlying memory is of your misses derriere climbing into the roll top bath (situated in the bedroom) then a cup of tea wasn't too important ;)

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the larger rooms on the top floor (Holly), glad we payed the extra.
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2011

My boyfriend and a stayed here for the night to celebrate our first anniversary together. From check in to check out our stay was lovely, rooms are gorgeous, staff are very welcoming and the food was delicious. We will definitely be back again, also can I recommend bar 1812 for food and cocktails, very very good!!

• Stayed October 2011
brighton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2011

Booked this hotel on a special offer, the offer was two nights with champagne on arrival four course tasting menu and afternoon cream tea. The offer was a great price for everything on offer glad I found the offer through internet. Location is very central yet very quiet.
We arrived late due to bad traffic and there was a warm welcome from the two men on reception; was handed over to lady receptist who was not as welcoming. She was however slightly later very helpful when showing us to our room which was a great size. We had a large kingsize room on the side of the hotel, beautiful free-standing bath was so comfortable it was a treat to use - well worth the soak,,,,
The bathroom was very tastefully decorated great power shower, the only fault would be the lighting for shaving also if ladies were doing their make-up it needs to be brighter above the sink otherwise perfect.
The bed was so big and very comfortable and we had a good night's sleep. The furnishing of the room does not have enough space for clothes in the wardrobe and there was no chester drawer which the room needs. We were also dissapointed that there was no sofa to relax on or very comfortable chairs to chill on otherwise we we loved the room.
First night we had a drink in the bar before dinner which was very relaxing. the dinner was very good indeed with great flavours. Service from Ishmail was excellent. Adam Thornton who is manager was great, with wonderful manner and service for the hotel restaurant and bar. Breaksfast was excellent with very good quality and the cream tea which was tea scone and cream was also excellent. Overall we very much recommend this relaxing hotel with excellent restaurant food and service, the rooms were good but not great. We will return.