“Disappointed”

The Green House
Ranked #4 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 6 November 2011

A special 'weekend deal' made it inexpensive. The food was however very disappointing. The evening meal was well presented but the portions were minute, even by 'nouvelle' standards. The breakfast service was very slow and the cooked breakfast was largely cold, on cold plates and with poached eggs so hard you could use them for tennis. A complaint elicited an embarrased shrug and a giggle.
More hype than substance.

Room Tip: Some rooms have the bath in the bedroom itself.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank stewart r
oosullivan, General Manager at The Green House, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2011

Thank you for your comments. If I recall correctly you were guests invited to attend a family celebration. I am very disappointed to hear about your comments on your dining experience with us. Our evening offer is fine dining in a relaxed environment and our breakfast is cooked to order in the morning which sometimes as you experienced can take a little longer when everyone arrives together. We could introduce a buffet but do not feel that this would be in keeping with our ethics of fresh local food cooked especially for you! We were not made aware of any complaints this weekend, if we had been we would have done everything possible to rectify the situation. If you can shed any further light on who you spoke to I would very much appreciate it. Please contact me on oosullivan@thegreenhousehotel.com or call on 01202 498900.

Reviewed 4 November 2011

Stayed here back in July but only just got round to reviewing. Its a real gem of a hotel. Rooms really nice, bed really comfortable , toiletries gorgeous and fresh milk and homemade biscuits are great touches. Food was amazing and great value for money. A really wonderful couple of days, going back for New Years!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LaineLondon
Reviewed 31 October 2011

I stayed here for 1 night and found the hotel very nice. The staff on check- in were very nice and friendly. The hotel did take £50 from my card for any extras which I wasn't keen on as they told me it wouldnt be back on my card for up to 5 working days after check- out, so make sure you have enough money on your card. I know this can be standard in some hotels.

The room was nice and modern if quite small. It had a lovely shower and no bath which is fine, but they don't provide shower caps! Lucky I had my own with me.

We had one problem with noisy students in the house next door making alot of noise at night which is not the fault of the hotel, but they might need to look into that if it's something that continues. I would ask for a room on the right hand side of the hotel next time. I should have mentioned it to the staff on check out, so they would have been unaware of this.

I liked the fact that they provide a fridge on each landing with fresh milk for your tea and coffee which they provide in each room.

The staff were very friendly and we had a great full english breakfast in the morning and I liked the fact that breakfast is served up until 10.00am and that was a week day morning so probably a bit later on a weekend. I asked if I could have an extra hour after the check out time and they happily agreed.

I would be happy to recommend this hotel on the basis of my stay and would definitely return.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed 26 October 2011

recently visited the green house for the weekend with my wife (my 50th!) staff very friendly and helpful, after one visit the barman remembered our room, well impressed with that!
we enjoyed the taster menu, food was realy good apart from the sweet which we thought was a bit of a strange mix(could just be a personal choice thing)
we were on a deal, so our room was not the biggest, but it was very clean and had everything you needed, yes the lighting can be a bit dim, but it's kind on the wrinkles! the bed was fantastic, i have never slept so well, my wife even had to wake me to watch the rugby world cup final!
only negative if i have to be picky is the soundproofing, not a problem if the sound of your neigbour having energetic humpy bump doesn't bother you! but could be slightly offputting.

Reviewed 24 October 2011

My girlfriend and I recently stayed at the Greenhouse for a welcome break from work, kids and dogs. Location is great as you can be on the sea front in less than 10 mins walk and a quick decent on the cliff elavator.
On first impressions we were both very impressed with the quality of the hotel, good standard of finish and quality in all aspects of the hotel. The bedrooms were very clean although the layout with the open plan bedrooms took a little getting used to! even after all those years together a little privacy wouldnt have gone a miss.

The staff are welcoming and attentive which was great. The hotel boasts its green credentials at every turn which is commendable, though I have to say they seem to be talking this to the extreme when it comes to the lighting in the room which is terrible, my girlfriend had to open the blinds to be able to see to put in her contact lenses and put her make up on, how you would do this at night is beyond me. The kettle needs a degree to work out how to boil water, which only resulted in a nasty burn to my hand... its a kettle guys, fill with water turn on... end of story. Its all very well being sustainable but you need to sustain the abilty to see... more lights please!!!
The Breakfast was lovely, and even though you get the distinct impression that they are cooking one at a time and portions leave a little to be desired, when they do arrive they are wonderful with the best black pudding I have ever eaten.

Overall I cant say I would rush back to the Greenhouse even though its very good, for me I have stayed in better,or comprable quality for less money.

Reviewed 24 October 2011

For £155 a night, you'd be right in expection the hotel to have a swimming pool? Gym? maybe even a Spa? the Green House has none of these. What it does have is great staff who can't do enough for you, a relaxed easy going atmophere, & the cleanest hotel we've stayed in yet.
Although nearly fully booked, the bar area never had more than a few people in (Saturday eve/night), & the prices were nearly half what we payed at the nearby De Vere a few years back. We never had an evening meal, but the breakfast choice was plentyful, & cooked to order
We booked last minute, for the location (close to our favourite Bournemouth restaurant), so payed more than we wanted too. but for a romantic gettaway, we wasn't disapointed.
I could complain that the kettle didn't work, but when your underlying memory is of your misses derriere climbing into the roll top bath (situated in the bedroom) then a cup of tea wasn't too important ;)

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the larger rooms on the top floor (Holly), glad we payed the extra.
Reviewed 23 October 2011

My boyfriend and a stayed here for the night to celebrate our first anniversary together. From check in to check out our stay was lovely, rooms are gorgeous, staff are very welcoming and the food was delicious. We will definitely be back again, also can I recommend bar 1812 for food and cocktails, very very good!!

• Stayed: October 2011