“Gorgeous hotel, would highly recommend!”
Review of The Green House

The Green House
Ranked #4 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 16 January 2012

For our first romantic weekend away together my partner and I booked into the green house hotel and wow we were in heaven! The staff were amazing and we received a complimentary upgrade to a beautiful stunning room. The little extras and finishing touches were 2nd to none and I could honestly not fault the room one bit. I am used to staying in high end hotels and this was certainly up there with the best. The bed was so amazingly comfortable and the free standing bath set in the bedroom was pure bliss. The town centre was a stones throw away which was great as it was set in a quite road with no late night noise from revellers!!!!! The one and only disappointment was the cooked breakfast as my partners fried egg was so undercooked that the raw white of the egg had run into his fried bread and bacon which made it in edible! My scrambled eggs were ok but not amazing, However the fresh fruit, pastries, cereals and juices were delicious so that made up for the dodgey egg...... Overall wonderful, beautiful, superb boutique hotel which I would definately recommend and go back too. Thank you to all at the green house who made such an effort and gave me a perfect weekend away!

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank Lozy1

Reviewed 15 January 2012

A nondescript entrance led to the most unpleasant welcome we have ever experienced in a hotel. The curt and unfriendly receptionist did nothing to give us confidence about our stay. However, our room was clean and the bed comfortable. The complementary slippers never appeared, the dressing gowns were skimpy and raggy. We had a barmeal, the fish pie was luke warm. Breakfast was average and very portion controlled - half a mushroom!! 40p delivery charge for the newspaper which was not complimentary. The rest of the staff in the hotel were pleasant and helpful but we would not stay there again nor recommend it to others.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 January 2012

We stayed for two nights between Christmas and New Year to celebrate my birthday. We stayed in 'Wild Pear' with a roll-top bath which was really nice. Our package included breakfast which as lovely the first morning, but on 31st Dec, was a little disappointing, there was clearly someone different in the kitchen the second morning, but this is the only complaint we have, we also had a four course taster meal included on our second night and this was superb, they also threw in the wine tasting to accompany this as a birthday treat which was a nice touch. The hotel is well located not far from the town and sea front. We would most certainly come back again.

Reviewed 11 January 2012

This is a great hotel made even more special by a superb Chef and excellent service, a hidden gem in Bournemouth

Room Tip: All are great , specify if you prefer a bath or walk in shower
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 December 2011

Simply perfect!

Hotel its self is very nice, clean, fresh, modern. Not too much decoration or old crap.I did like Christmas decoration which was simple and natural. All staff was very friendly and helpful, smily all the time and very professional. Other guests were between 30 - 55 (I would say) years old and that was quite important for us as well. We didn't wanted to have party and noisy hotel or to be with much older people than we are. I would definitely come again.

ROOM:

We should have small double bedroom but have been upgraded for Sweet Chestnut (for the same price as small double) which is big double room in 2nd floor. Very nice, and there was no noise from other guests or member staff. I was pleased that bathroom was separate with toilet (no shower or bath in the room). Bed was big but too soft for me (prefer firm one) but my partner was absolutely happy about it.
Some people were complaining about eco kettle .... although I am not technical person there was NO problem with it and manipulation was very easy. I love the luxury toiletries and did buy some to take with me home. Sparkling and still water in room, every day fresh.

DINING:

We decided to have only 3 course meal 24th December as we haven't been to hungry with glass of wine which was very nice as well. First we received home made bread while we were waiting for our order which was nice.
Portions were small on first look but after all ... we were absolutely full and satisfied as it was delicious and fresh. Chocolate cake on the end ... ohhhhhh I wish to have it right now again.
We spend around 2 hours with our dinning as atmosphere was very nice, warm and friendly.

BREAKFAST:

I was happy about breakfast at all. Portion was ok. An egg, bacon, sausage, half tomato, half mushroom, black pudding (so yummy) and fried bread (I didn't like it). Two toasts - white and brown. You could have cereals, yogurt, fruits, pastry (very good and fresh every day), juice (two types), milk when you have been waiting for your order so I can't understand why somebody say that breakfast was too small? It was absolutely OK although my partner didn't like scramble eggs. Strange texture no salt.

I would definitely recommend it.

Reviewed 20 December 2011

Spent pre Xmas weekend at The Green House. On arrival the receptionist was helpful and efficient and showed us to our room.

The room, Silver Birch was a luxury double and lived up to it's billing. The bed was large and comfortable and the linen luxurious. The rest of the room was well appointed with a very good tv. The bathroom was amazing open plan with a free standing rolled top reclaimed bath and a large shower alongside. The toilet was separate. We have stayed in 5* hotels with worse bedrooms.

The bar area was very nice following the green theme and using reclaimed furniture but showing through coverings and finishing that luxury did not have to be sacrificed. We had 2 meals and a number of drinks in the bar and the staff were attentive and the area very comfortable. The food was good.

We had the 4 course taster menu one night which was light but flavoursome and i would do this again.

The only disappointing facet was the breakfast. It's the only hotel we have stayed at where porridge is not counted as a cereal and my wife was unable to have porridge and a cooked breakfast. The cooked breakfast itself was adequate but nothing special. The speed it came out of the kitchen suggest it was not freshly cooked. The toast was poor being shop sliced when the hotel prides itself on ingredients and you are only provided with 2 slices and have to ask if you want more.

Would definitely stay again but perhaps not with the breakfast option.

Reviewed 25 November 2011

Having spent the New year period of 2011 at this excellent hotel, I have been giving serious consideration to returning again for 2012 and must say there is little or nothing to persuade me to do otherwise. The staff are friendly and attentive, the rooms are very comfortable, almost luxurious and for me the highlight of my stay was the menu in the restaurant. A multi course taster menu, where every course was of a very high standard, I include the wine in this also.
If you are considering somewhere for Christmas or New Year then I would recommend whole heartedly and would have to assume that the Green House is of a similar standard the rest of the year too.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
oosullivan, General Manager at The Green House, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2011

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments especially with such a nice recommendation. We do hope you will try us again and I would like to think that we offer the same service all year! We have some availability left for Christmas so if you are tempted please give us a call on 01202 498900 or email me directly on oosullivan@thegreenhousehotel.com

Thanks again! Olivia