“Contemporary room in character property”
Review of The Green House

The Green House
Ranked #3 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 16 July 2012

We picked this hotel, due to being a bit more unique, and it's proximity to the town centre - within 5 minutes walk, so we could easily stroll back after an evening out in Bournemouth.

On arrival, we were taken to our room (a complementary upgrade) where all the room's facilities could be pointed out. The room was clean and fresh, tastefully decorated and together with the fixtures and supplied bathroom products, the experience felt very luxurious. There were nice thoughtful touches like handmade shortbread, complimentary house water, fresh milk and a plentiful supply of tea and coffee (no stingey sachets!)

Every member of staff we talked to was friendly and helpful, especially reception and the proffesional french staff serving the excellent breakfast. The breakfast was cooked to order, with cereals, juice and pastries on a buffet. I had the best black pudding, and every other element was locally sourced for a unique taste, excellently presented.

We initially had trouble parking, due to no noticeable reserved guest parking and a wedding reception in progress at the venue, but it didn't spoil anything, and once the wedding was over we moved our car back off the street.

Reviewed 16 July 2012

went for the weekend with friends, very friendly excellent hotel, rooms are fab, all different, ultra modern contemporary, extremely clean, the shower in our room was a wet room, eating fab, service great, location is ideal, staff could not do enough for you, bit on the expensive side but you get what you pay for and this is one hotel I would pay to go to again..if in Bournemouth, parked the car in their carpark, no probs... would highly recommend - even cater for the disabled and wheelchair bound.

Room Tip: all rooms different, but fab..
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 July 2012

A truly delightful experience from both accommodation to service that was second to none.
We arrived on the Friday evening and our rooms were shown to us. All spotless and well appointed.
Breakfast was excellent and the staff an absolute joy.
We were recommended an Italian restaurant on the Saturday evening as there was a wedding reception. Although we did manage a cream tea during a busy period for them with the wedding.
Again service first class.
Sunday morning breakfast was busy but all staff were keen to uphold the standard and nothing was a trouble for them.
Stay here if you want a very good quality hotel with excellent service and attention to detail.
We will return here for sure.

Room Tip: All good depending on size required, the larger the more finesse!
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Very agreeable lunch. Slightly restrictive menu so perhaps check it out before booking but very good quality. Service very good. Wine and other drinks in bar served with smile. Nothing to complain about.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 July 2012

My daughter and I booked on for a two night stay as she needed to find Uni accommodation for next term. First impressions wonderful, reception very good and friendly. Our room on 2nd floor was plenty big enough for us and although the bath in the window was lovely it didn't get used by either of us! Interesting to read other reviews saying that some of the rooms the double beds were in fact singles pushed together.....we specifically requested twin beds and in fact had to pay EXTRA for them.....which is the only gripe I have about our stay.....and there was no separation between the beds so we might as well have saved the money and had a double bed!! The bathroom was lovely, super toiletries and shower was fantastic....we enjoyed it so much we weren't very green and had a couple of showers each day! The food we thought was great.....there was a good choice for breakfast and our waiter remembered us and our choices onthe second day, which is always nice! The first night we ate off the a la carte menu and the food and presentation was perfect. Second night we went for the 6 course taster menu and weren't disappointed.....only comment we both had was that each of the courses apart from the soup, was a full sized portion, and by the time we got to the desserts we were full to bursting, and couldn't do the last two courses justice. Hotel is well situated, near the beach and the shops. Once daughter is at Uni, and we come to visit her, we will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 July 2012

We stayed in this hotel for two wonderful nights to celebrate our 30th Wedding Anniversary. We originally booked a double, but were kindly upgraded to a large double. Our room “Bay” had a cast iron bath near the window together with a magnificent bathroom and power shower. The room was nicely decorated and very, very clean. We ate in restaurant for the two nights and the food was just perfect. Our waitress Christina worked hard and always had a smile, well done.
Breakfast was a little small in size but made up for in taste. I personaly would like a little of something nice, rather than a pile of tastless food.
The hotel and rooms are kept impeccably clean and everyone seems to work hard. If we were to return to Bournemouth, then we most certainly would stay here again. A BIG thank you to all for making our stay a most memorable one.

Reviewed 4 July 2012

My husband and I went on a short break to Bournemouth to celebrate my birthday. He chose this hotel via the Mr. &Mrs Smith website.
On arrival, reception was great. We were given a nice room on the 2nd floor. Modern room, big, confortable bed. Spotless clean. The Bathroom was nice and modern and there is nothing to complain about the room itself.

The problem started when we booked our dinner for 20:30 and we were kept in the bar until 21:30. The finally showed us the table and we were only served any food around 22pm. The meal itself was nice. Starter particularly good. My main course was ok. I wouldn't say it was bad, but I had better. As for the portions, they are not massive, but if you have a 3 course meal, you'll be ok. If you order cheese for dessert, you get plenty! But it is ok. Sometimes things go wrong and we have to accept it. Maybe it was a bad day for them.

Next day we had breakfast and everything was fine. The menu is ok, but I would expect more options. I have been to B&Bs that offer more variety than they do here. You can basically choose from Full english, omelette, scrambled egg and trout and porridge.
We went for full english, which tasted fine. Nothing special. And again, the portions are not very big. What people say about half a small mushroom? It's TRUE!
There is no continental breakfast. Only a few croissants and salad fruit, yogurt, jam and butter.

So we head down for breakfast again on the second day and DISASTER! Full english again, this time with a poached egg that was extremely overcooked. Not a problem so far. The problem started when I tried to get anyone to look at me, so I could get another egg! My husband was eating his breakfast and I am only sitting there, without touching it, trying desperately to get someone's attention, but no one looked at me. Finally I thought I had caught the waiter's attention when he looked at me and nodded. But then he was off and never came back.
It took around 10 min for me to get someone to come and order a new EGG (yeah, they only poached another egg and brought me that, although my cooked breakfast was sitting there completely cold!)
I don't normally care about things like that, as I am not fussy at all. But I really felt a lack of customer service there. They seem like they don't care. Even the fried bread that was one of the best parts of my full english was missing from my plate!

Sleeping.... Although the bed was very confortable, we were given a room right next to the stairs. As the doors are EXTREMELY heavy, early in the morning you start hearing a festival of banging doors, which kept awaking me up all the time.

We have a baby girl and this was the first time we went away without her to try and spend some quality time together - RELAX AND GET SOME SLEEP!

But all the noise from the doors and the bad experience at the restaurant didn't let me enjoy my B&B we've paid for. And that's why I have to consider it a poor experience. I am sure if they improve the service at the restaurant and change those doors, everything else is great.

Good location, near the beach and very central. Shame! If it was only for the facilities, I would recommend. But I wouldn't go back there, because for me, service sometimes is more important than the hotel itself!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank nlemos
oosullivan, Manager at The Green House, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing The Green House and for taking the time to write a review. Please accept my sincere apologies for your disappointing experience. I was very concerned to hear your feedback and the issues raised. It is the goal of the entire team at The Green House to ensure that every guest's expectations are exceeded from the moment we receive your enquiry, thus we are all very sorry that in your case, our goal was not achieved.
We have made many necessary changes at the hotel over the last couple of months, particularly in the food and beverage department and now have a very strong team in place which is confirmed by recent glowing reviews on tripadvisor. Guests are now checking out of the hotel with only praise and positivity for their entire experience.
I do hope that these reviews will convince you that we have improved our service and hospitality since your stay and that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Green House in the future.
Best regards
Elizabeth Raine (Deputy Manager)